WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have been given this watch and have no idea what it is and I wondered if anybody had some info on it. Its measurements are 33mm dia and 9mm thick, the hands move with the crown but does not work due to a broken balance spring , as you can see in the photos. The strap is original as far as i know. The only writing is inside the movement and just says swissmade. it also says 13 jewels. Any help would be appreciated. ( by the way it was in this condition when it was given to me.) Thanks .DW. I did post this on the vintage forum and after 100 views nobody knew ,so I apologise if you have seen it before. DW. View attachment 1039820 View attachment 1039821 tPXFIFM.jpg View attachment 1039823 9b6UsGT.jpg View attachment 1039825 View attachment 1039828

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Don't recognize the movement, but the case and dial look to me to be a WWI trench watch. Many different makers made watches with this type of case and dial: Elgin, Waltham, Roamer among them.

Reactions: DJW GB

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that , very much appreciated. Do you think it looks serviceable and restorable. DW.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Thanks for that , very much appreciated. Do you think it looks serviceable and restorable. DW.
You're very welcome. I admit that the question is a bit beyond my (WIS) pay grade. However, the main plate and fingers look to be in reasonable condition. It could be a few parts (mainspring/hairspring etc.) and a thorough clean and refresh. But it could also be a complete replacement of the movement (especially if there are unseen cracks/wear in the movement parts). Very hard to tell. Even without restoration it looks like an interesting piece of horological history.

Reactions: DJW GB
1 - 5 of 5 Posts