WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

First post on here. I was bought this watch 21 years ago, and although I know the obvious (it's a Bernex), I know nothing else about it. I believe it's 9k, and whilst the movement is Swiss, the back says British Made.

It keeps great time, although I suspect it's in need of a good clean. It also needs a decent glass fitting. I'd love to know how old it is, if anyone knows anything about the random back that fits so perfectly and replicates the shape of the front of the watch in profile that I feel it must have been made specifically.

Also, does anyone know of a decent place to service it and fit a new decent glass in south Derbyshire?

Any help is very much appreciated :)

Duncan
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Metal

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Well, the case is 9kt gold, assayed in Birmingham in 1955. Looks to be a fairly thin case with a large brass spacer, so gold content is probably low all around. Simple manual wind movement that I don't recognize right off, but I'm sure someone will be able tell you about quick enough. Bernex looks like its still in the business of casing and selling watches, although I take swiss company histories with large grains of salt and a healthy dose of skepticism. I like the dial design on yours, but it's probably not possible to "restore" it much; the "dirt" you see on the dial is typically oxidation of the underlying dial material, so you can't really fix it without redoing the dial.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I've found a thread on this forum with a movement that looks exactly the same - https://www.watchuseek.com/f11/my-vintage-bernex-aka-bernie-477118.html Might this be the mechanism instead of the FHF 25?

I did wonder about the dirt on the face. Although it'd be great if the dial were 'restoreable', I'm not too worried as I quite like the aged look - after all, we all tend to get some patternation the older we get ;)

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,420 Posts
It is quite possible that you also have an FHF 28 instead of an FHF 25. The main point is that you have an FHF (Fabrique d'Horlogerie Fontainemelon) movement. These things sometimes came in calibre series, i.e. a movement was changed very slightly and given a new designation but the main bridge and plate layout remained the same. The exact calibre designation of yours is probably under the balance wheel.

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
738 Posts
I think your right yours is an FHF 28. I have an FHF 25 in hand right now and it is actually 11.5'''. The FHF 28 caliber is pretty much the same except it is 10.5''' (a few mm smaller in diameter). The Metatechnical Cabinet - FHF 28

1 - 6 of 6 Posts