WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

This watch was given to my grandfather on his engagement to my grandmother in Krakow, Poland in 1938. So I know it's at least late 30s, but would love to know the model type or any other info anyone can provide.

Incidentally, for anyone interested in watch histories, this one has an interesting tale.

As, I mentioned it was given to my grandfather, who was British and in the Palestine Police. He met my grandmother, a Polish Jew, in Palestine, then went to Poland to meet her family when they got engaged in '38. During the war (in which incidentally my grandmother's entire family in Poland died in concentration camps) they moved from Palestine to Cyprus. Some time in the late 1940s, while riding in the Trodos mountains, a snake startled his horse and my grandfather was thrown. Some time later, he realised that his treasured watch had somehow come off during the fall and went back to see if he could find it but to no avail. TEN YEARS later, he had a call from the police to say that a watch matching the description of his lost Omega had been found among the possessions of an arrested thief and he rushed down to the police station to find that, amazingly, it WAS his lost watch. When he passed in the 1980s, I inherited his watch and it became my own treasured possession. In 1992, I (and the watch) moved to Japan, where we lived for 15 years. In 2007, when returning to the UK, it somehow went missing and for seven years I went without it, despite searching through all the boxes that came back from Japan with us. I couldn't fathom what had happened to it and missed it greatly. Finally, last year, while doing a massive sort out of the garage, I found it hidden at the bottom of a box filled with books that had lain unopened since packing up the house in Japan in early 2007! This watch has been from Switzerland to Poland, then on to Palestine, to Cyprus, to England, then Japan and finally back to England. It still works perfectly and I love it!

omega.jpg

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Wonderful watch made all the more valuable by your knowing it's amazing heritage. Cherish it. Best of luck.

·
Registered
78 Posts
That's fantastic...I love watches with histories that anchor you to them.
I have an Omega dress watch from the late 30's to early 40's that I cant identify either.
Omega made tons of watches with various dials back then so it is hard to assign a specific model.
Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will comment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts