WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came across this piece, probably very old. Has anyone seen anything like this or recognize the brand? I cannot seem to find any info at all about it on google ("Elmo?"). Can it be saved? Is it junk? Any info will be much appreciated.

20171207_084817.jpg 20171207_084907.jpg

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the info guys! Great input.

I actually came across the only reference I've found to the brand on this online auction:
auction.catawiki.com/kavels/8187123-elmo-swiss-chronograph-men-s-wristwatch-40s-early-50s

I'll try to get it opened and post some pictures of what it looks like on the inside.

If it looks OK, maybe I'll get get it serviced, a new glass and a leather strap and we'll see how it turns out. Thanks again!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I stopped by a watchmaker and had the watch opened. We were both a little surprised to find an automatic movement inside and it actually works fine. The backplate says "Brevet dem" with a Swiss cross and "acier inoxydable". Does that mean it's a Swiss movement? Don't know much about these things. Pictures attached, hopefully you can provide me with some more info. Curious as to what this thing might be worth if it was fully restored with a new sapphire glass crystal.

20171209_132510.jpg 20171209_132554.jpg 20171209_132531.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,673 Posts
Venus 170 movement as @laikrodukas guessed. Yes, it's Swiss. Obviously not automatic, I think you need a new watchmaker. The back says "FOND ACIER INOXYDABLE" not "ACIER INOXYDABLE", which is an important distinction, because the case is obviously not stainless. The crystal should be acrylic, not sapphire. I'm not sure what you mean by "restoring", but the value of this watch is severely limited by the damage to the case. With a new crystal, I'd guess it would bring about $200 on eBay, but frankly it's hard to know since you have given us very little information. What is the size? Does the watch run, wind, and set correctly? Do the chronograph functions work correctly? The best way to get an idea of value is to use the eBay advanced search function to search SOLD listings.

bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Venus 170

·
Registered
733 Posts
Venus 170 movement as @laikrodukas guessed. Yes, it's Swiss. Obviously not automatic, I think you need a new watchmaker. The back says "FOND ACIER INOXYDABLE" not "ACIER INOXYDABLE", which is an important distinction, because the case is obviously not stainless. The crystal should be acrylic, not sapphire. I'm not sure what you mean by "restoring", but the value of this watch is severely limited by the damage to the case. With a new crystal, I'd guess it would bring about $200 on eBay, but frankly it's hard to know since you have given us very little information. What is the size? Does the watch run, wind, and set correctly? Do the chronograph functions work correctly? The best way to get an idea of value is to use the eBay advanced search function to search SOLD listings.

bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Venus 170
RATS, I was hoping for the discovery of an automatic Venus 170

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
The case is not that bad
A good replating service would make it look really good
A new crystal woul expose a nice black dial with perfectly aged lume on the hands and hour markers
New pusher and a movement service too

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The crystal should be acrylic, not sapphire. I'm not sure what you mean by "restoring", but the value of this watch is severely limited by the damage to the case. With a new crystal, I'd guess it would bring about $200 on eBay, but frankly it's hard to know since you have given us very little information. What is the size? Does the watch run, wind, and set correctly? Do the chronograph functions work correctly?
Like I said, I'm new to these things and obviously no expert, which is why I seek your expertise :)

What do you mean by "should be acrylic, not sapphire"? Couldn't I get a sapphire crystal for it?

By "restoring" I mean fixing the missing pusher, new glass, put a strap on it and give it a checkup. It runs, winds and sets correctly, so no issues there. The chronograph function seems to work as well. I'm having it sent to an expert now to evaluate how much it will cost to fix it up. Maybe it's not an investment, but it might be a nice watch to have in the collection.

She said "automatic" when she opened it, but she probably wasn't a watch expert (like me). I think she meant to say it doesn't run on a battery.

·
Premium Member
6,673 Posts
What do you mean by "should be acrylic, not sapphire"? Couldn't I get a sapphire crystal for it?

By "restoring" I mean fixing the missing pusher, new glass, put a strap on it and give it a checkup. It runs, winds and sets correctly, so no issues there. The chronograph function seems to work as well. I'm having it sent to an expert now to evaluate how much it will cost to fix it up. Maybe it's not an investment, but it might be a nice watch to have in the collection.

She said "automatic" when she opened it, but she probably wasn't a watch expert (like me). I think she meant to say it doesn't run on a battery.
I think it might be difficult to find a sapphire crystal to fit that watch, since it would need to be dramatically "domed", and in any case it would be completely inappropriate for the watch. From a collector's perspective, it would be incorrect.

It's certainly a collectible watch. When you say that it's not an "investment", I assume that you mean that it won't be a good financial investment, which is true (and also true of most vintage watches). However, it WILL require substantial investment on your part; significantly more than the value of the watch. If you are going to keep it and wear it, you will also need to have the movement completely serviced (clean/oil/adjust=COA), which will cost significantly more than the other things you mentioned. A COA, new crystal, strap, and pusher will cost you at least $400, and perhaps a bit more depending on your location.

It still doesn't make sense to me that a watchmaker (you called her a watchmaker in your previous post) would call a hand-winding movement "automatic". And I don't understand your explanation about it not running on a battery. A watch that doesn't use a battery is called "mechanical", not "automatic". You don't need to be an expert to know that.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Love that manual wind Venus inside. It’s a beautiful movement to my eyes. But me thinks you may want to find a watchmaker that can tell the difference between a manual wind and automatic movement...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Point taken :D Maybe "watchmaker" was an exaggeration, more like "a girl working at a jewellery / watch-shop". I know another guy who knows his stuff, I'll take it to him next time!

By the way, has anyone tired using "Polywatch" on a scratched watch? (Try searching Amazon). I'm sceptical, but I see a lot of people saying it's great so I'm curious.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Point taken :D Maybe "watchmaker" was an exaggeration, more like "a girl working at a jewellery / watch-shop". I know another guy who knows his stuff, I'll take it to him next time!

By the way, has anyone tired using "Polywatch" on a scratched watch? (Try searching Amazon). I'm sceptical, but I see a lot of people saying it's great so I'm curious.
I’ve recently got myself some polywatch but have yet to try it on some scratched plexi. Damn 11-month oldie sucking up my spare time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,673 Posts
Yes, Polywatch is a good way to remove fine scratches. If there are large and deep scratches, you will first need to even them out with fine sandpaper or Scotch-brite, then use Polywatch to polish out the fine scratches from the sandpaper.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
crystal is beyond salvation. just install new one, service that beauty.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It certainly took a while, but I wanted to update all the helpful people who shared their knowledge with me in this thread that the vintage chronograph is fully restored. (I've also update my knowledge on vintage watches and movements a little since then ;)

It's gotten a full service, new strap, chrome has been stripped and re-chromed (not polished), a new chronograph pusher and new crystal. Runs like a dream, all functions working.

Some pictures:

chronograph01.jpg

chronograph03.jpg

chronograph02.jpg

Thanks again to everyone who convinced me it should be restored to its former glory!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts