WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 209 Posts

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We often see around the forum new topics asking questions like: "can I shower with my 8000m WR watch?" or "can I be at the pool with my 100m WR watch?"
Unless these questions are a sort of preemptive excuse to get a new tuna (in which case I fully support it and would answer "no! Are you crazy? You NEED a tuna for your pool party!), I always thought the risks and effects of water on watches have been extremely exaggerated within our community.
We often hear about dynamic pressure (which I think is BS) and other hazards.
I had no way to prove my point so I decided to make a test myself on my recent dive trip to key largo.
Enter the Casio A158W-1, a 30m WR watch available on Amazon for less than 15 bucks:
(pic stolen).

So I set up an prepare to get wet:

Since it is common knowledge that a Rolex DSSD is about the minimum you need to stand a hot tub, I am sure my Casio will stop working as soon as I jump into the wat...

Oh.

Well, it is sure a matter of time, the light seals can probably stand a couple minutes but certainly after a while everything will break and the watch will fail...

Uh?

Time goes by...

I go through my dive and the watch keeps ticking...

Well, that didn't go as expected really.
Back on the boat I was puzzled, and quite sure that the watch will eventually burst into flames at night, succumbing the unbearable effort it went through during the day.

In the morning I woke up, and to my biggest surprise, the $15, 30m WR Casio was still working.

Upset by its arrogant will to live, I decided to give it a lesson: I was about to dive the USS Spiegel Grove, a ship wreck situated in approximately 30m of water.

How dare you cheap watch resist the hardship of the deep? Why did you upset the gods of water resistance and dynamic pressure?
We will see how you handle 20m!

Mumble, pretty well apparently.
How about 24m?

This is not going as planned.
30m!

30m for longer time!

Well, I am starting to feel uncomfortable, so cut to the skx009 to distract me a second

Midway through the dive and this little bastard is still alive.
I am now convinced this watch is capable of black magic, and start to fear its wrath.

Back on the boat, surprisingly the Casio did not explode tearing apart my arm in the process to punish me for having tested it.
I consider myself lucky I am alive (I should probably say that it let me live)

This morning, it was still there, defiantly working and keeping great time.
I will sacrifice small animals to it in order to avoid his vengeance.

So, what can we conclude?
While obviously 1 test cannot mean ALL 30m WR watches can stand diving (that was not the point of this test), I think we can confidently say that fear of water in 100m WR watches and above is probably overblown.
I have learned, to my utmost surprise, that a 30m WR watch is water resistant to... Uhm... Approximately 30m (WHO KNEW?).

Thanks for reading and cheers from Seppia!

·
Registered
499 Posts
lol nice test. Where were you diving? It looks like Florida Keys waters to me, I've done hundreds of dives down there.

Reactions: Seppia

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
this so awesome Seppia :D

great idea for thread/review/article and excellent execution with awesome pics and irony all around

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Absolutely one of the best threads started in some time. Is it going to put an end to the goofy "can I shower with my dive watch posts", or the even more absurd "unless you have lume on the bezel and center seconds hand, have a lume pip, etc, etc, etc, you don't truly have a dive watch" nonsense, unfortunately you know it won't. The irony will be ignored by most.

·
Registered
11,582 Posts
This was great! This reminds me of the durability tests that were done on the Seiko BFK a few years ago. Okay so let me make sure I understand, does that mean my MM300 will survive swimming in the surf this summer in Florida?

How come you didn't inaugurate the Alpina?

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Absolutely one of the best threads started in some time. Is it going to put an end to the goofy "can I shower with my dive watch posts", or the even more absurd "unless you have lume on the bezel and center seconds hand, have a lume pip, etc, etc, etc, you don't truly have a dive watch" nonsense, unfortunately you know it won't. The irony will be ignored by most.
I always wanted to respond "no, no, nooooooo!" to all the "at least 261836383m WR for your shower" posts, but never had any "evidence" to support any of my claims, except from my experience.
When I was 5 years old (sadly, 30 years ago), my dad gave me a swatch (a regular, 30m WR one) for me to learn how to read time.
I wore that watch till I was 15, day and night, and swam with it in the lake (I am from lake Como in Italy), in pools, showered with it, etc.
it went through two battery changes, it was never pressure tested or anything obviously, and it never failed due to leaks.
So I decided to do this test, and keep it light hearted.
I picked a $15 Casio for two reasons:
1- as much as I was confident it would not fail (at least the first shallow dive), I would not have done this with my speedmaster reduced (I am a financially average guy)
2- wanted to prove it with the cheapest possible watch
Happy it worked, it was fun for me and now I will finally be able to respond to the users that claim you need a screw down crown to brush your teeth directing them here :)

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for your question Matthew, all I can say is that it wears smaller than the pics suggest (go pro has fisheye effect), so I think it will work on a 6.75+ wrist.
Its specs suggest it's just a little smaller and thinner than the last LE seiko MarineMaster 1000m presented at Basel FYI

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Clearly the best thread I've read in quite a while! This should become a reference to paste on "can I wash the dishes with my Sub threads"

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'd like to see it go beyond 30M until failure.
I wanted to, but I was diving on Nitrox so couldn't go any deeper than 34m for security reasons.
The plan is to bring this same watch on all my future diving trips and see how it performs.
Next February I'm probably heading to Turks and Caicos and I'll bring it to 40m.
:)

·
Registered
657 Posts
I'm jealous. I was in Key Largo just about a year ago exactly and the wind kicked up halfway through the week and it got too rough to dive. I was supposed to do the Spiegel Grove at the the of the week but never got the chance. Interesting that your computer is set up for meters instead of feet, and you need a new wetsuit...

Reactions: Seppia
1 - 20 of 209 Posts