WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

181 - 200 of 209 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
This reminds me of when I used to teach scuba classes 4 or 5 days a week wearing a Timex Weekender. It eventually got a little bit of moisture on inside but it still kept going. I think it even went on a dive to 175' to retrieve a customers' mask at one point if memory serves me correctly.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I have the same watch and probably will take it to honey moon in Argentina. I am not too worried about its water resistance capabilities now. Great read.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
941 Posts
I have the same watch and probably will take it to honey moon in Argentina. I am not too worried about its water resistance capabilities now. Great read.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Which of the 2 Casio watches do you currently own that you will be taking with you on your honeymoon to Argentina? The Casio A158W-1 or the Casio A168W-1?

·
Registered
941 Posts
I'm currently vacationing in southern Greece right now. I took my all resin Casio F-105W-1 together with me and I will be using it while swimming and diving in the Mediterranean Sea for the next 6 weeks.
I believe that the F-105W-1 has the same exact internal LCD module that the A168W-1 has.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I am stunned that the crystal on the Casio did not blow off as you were coming to the surface. It must have a hidden helium release valve somewhere.

Did you borrow your girlfriend's mid-size Zoop? It looks ridiculously small on your manly 7 inch wrist. You gotta go for the full size (600mm without crown). The 600mm won't be too big for you, since the Zoop has a quite modest lug-to-lug measurement and LTL is really what matters.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
I'm currently vacationing in southern Greece right now. I took my all resin Casio F-105W-1 together with me and I will be using it while swimming and diving in the Mediterranean Sea for the next 6 weeks.
I believe that the F-105W-1 has the same exact internal LCD module that the A168W-1 has.
Met a river rafting guide over the weekend who wears a168w-1 on the job. He said he's had a couple and never had any trouble with it. He likes that he can just throw it out if something happens to it.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Another timely bump for this thread.

Saw when some unfortunate soul commented in F71 that he/she wouldn't even wash hands without a screwdown crown. Now, I can't find the post (dang it).

LOL.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I often think about which watches are really rugged, which one I'd take if I were going to be away from civilization for awhile, or for many short episodes, and really needed accurate time and dependability (e.g. probably a military situation). This is just fantasy for me, I'm very unlikely ever to be in such a situation, but I enjoy the mind game.

The G-Force watches are said to be the ones most often used in such situations, perhaps in part since they're cheap. And, I must say, to me they look it!

So I'd look for a solar quartz, titanium, excellent lume, on a one-piece strap. Like several Seiko JDM divers. In part, this is due to my understanding of the tests a "divers" watch must pass, e.g. g-forces, heat then cold, cold then heat, negative pressure, springbar retention, etc. These are ~$500 watches. And, for me, they're nice to look at and appreciate for their "form-follows-function" design.

Counterpoint?

·
Registered
36,279 Posts
This may be the best post that I've read on this site. Insightful, witty and it definitely puts things into perspective.
Agree, totally.

·
Registered
36,279 Posts
I think I am going to copy the thread link and post it every time a silly comment is made about water resistance and showers etc.

This was a fun post by the OP
This thread never gets old.
3 years on and still cookin'.
The OP has moved overseas and don’t think he dives anymore.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I dive with my Suunto Core and no problems at all

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I dive with my Suunto Core and no problems at all
I've only broken and/or flooded 4 of those. On my last NIB replacement from Suunto, I sold it and bought a GDF100-1B and it's been through all the same stuff with not a single failure and it's been doing this for years.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

181 - 200 of 209 Posts