WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I am trying to zone in on my first "modern" Rolex. The only Rolex I have is a gold mid-50's watch I don't wear much since I favor Steel. I have two very cool Omegas - Speedmaster Pro and Seamaster 2254 ...

I have narrowed the choices to:
- Sub with date
- Sub no-date w/COSC
- Explorer II (Black...or maybe, just maybe white)

I plan to buy pre-owned. I see Explorer IIs from ~$3.5K and Subs slightly higher.

Of course it is a subjective / emotional decision...but wondering what folks thought.

Thanks!

·
Registered
335 Posts
i have owned a sub nd, and now own a black explorer II. both are great watches, as is the sub date. given that you already have a 2254, i would lean towards the explorer II. i think it comes down to how badly do you want a rotating bezel and a date function?

i didn't mind not having a date window when i owned a sub nd, but i loved the rotating bezel, as i used it as a timer for EVERYTHING. i also love the triplock crown. but now that i have a date window on the explorer II, i use it constantly (i don't have to try to remember the date everyday), and the explorer II is a slightly smaller watch - fits better on my wrist. you need to try on all three watches before deciding... best of luck choosing.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ayres...

The Sub is a classic - no doubt...but there are certainly similarities with my 2254. The Exp II would be 2 millimeters smaller as well / the sub just 1 mm smaller.

I do like the date function / I vacillate on the Cyclops. When I am wearing my Speedmaster, I often find myself looking for the date.

However, it comes (mostly) down to aesthetics - and a little to cost. I like the chrome bezel on the slightly cheaper Exp II. Would also be a tad different than my Speedmaster & Seamaster.

AAAARGH!

·
Premium Member
6,187 Posts
I'd personally get the SD - beefed up dated sub without the cyclops

s

·
Banned
1,219 Posts
Not a fan of any of your choices to be honest kinda along the route of black faced sports watch, sorry, are you fixed on black face? what about white faced explorer II or black faced explorer I no date?

·
Registered
562 Posts
I'd go for a Sub no date w/ C.O.S.C. ...A "must" and classic watch...simply "The Rolex" :-!.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all.

I thought about the SeaDweller....but a) not crazy about the thickness (alas I won't really be diving with it to tell the truth) and b) they seem to be pretty spendy relatively speaking.

I have thought about the White Exp II. A local AD has a clean one for $3700 pre-owned. Of course add another 9.5% since I am in CA!! Could make him an offer I suppose.

But I do wander back to another black face...The No Date COSC is appealing for its clean lines...Just have to find a Mint-esque one from a reputable seller. :roll:

Please keep the thoughts coming.

Much appreciated!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts