WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ,

I am planning to buy a second-hand gshock, it's in good condition except for those heavy scratch on the bezel. I don't mind the scratch as the price is good, however, I'd like to know if there is any way to hide those scratch or make them not so obviously. They bezel is black coating, so I guess traditional sanding and polishing won't work.

Any suggestion? Any one has the same scratch issue with a black bezel?
Thanks

Untitled.png

·
Registered
587 Posts
I don't think it's possible. If you really like the watch and could live with it I would ask for a serious discount.

·
Registered
7,156 Posts
depends on the model and depends if its actually black. the photo looks like it could be a gpw1000.
theres no magic fix to hide damage to metal, sanding, puttying and colour matching is the only way. you could how ever sand or paint the whole bezel to match, or buy a new bezel.
tho if you dont mind the scratches then who cares? haha

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found the bezel on pacparts for $82.03. Is it as easy as peeling the old one off and glue the new one back? I think the watch is using the bezel as GPS antenna , I am wondering if there is some small parts under the bezel may need extra attention.

I can't find any information for this on Internet, can anyone give me some help on this?

Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Scratches, Dings: the achilles heel of all steel-clad G-Shocks which dare leave the storage case. Even the DLC ones scratch eventually. Resin is the way to go if you don't want to fret about scratched steel.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
If you want to make it look better, just wear it. Put more wear and scratches on it. That makes it look good because it is being used for what it was meant for. Casio spent a lot of money to design and test the watch to make sure it will last for a long time under heavy use.

If you don't want the scratches on this one then you should seek out a new one.

·
Registered
7,156 Posts
I found the bezel on pacparts for $82.03. Is it as easy as peeling the old one off and glue the new one back? I think the watch is using the bezel as GPS antenna , I am wondering if there is some small parts under the bezel may need extra attention.

I can't find any information for this on Internet, can anyone give me some help on this?

Thank you for your time.
its not glued on and its not an antenna, there may however be a tiny spring that serves as an earth. i havent taken mine apart (one of the few Gs i havent :p ) but usually there are tabs that screw into the case and then the bumpers go over the top. im sure theres a tear down video out there somewhere.
depends how much youre getting it for, it might be worth just looking for one in better condition. im guessing if theres that kind of wear on the bezel, thered be more over the rest of the watch.

you could use some sandpaper to smooth out some of the roughness to those cuts then put a light petina over all the edges to blend the worn look. could actually look pretty good on an all black model 🤔

·
Registered
687 Posts
Someone suggested the foam emory blocks that manicurists use. The foam backing helps even out the pressure and produce more consistent brush strokes.

Those scratches look great in my opinion, especially if the rest of the watch is reasonably pristine. If it were me, I’d buy the $90 bezel and hold onto it to install down the road. In the meantime you won’t have to baby this bezel because you’ve already got a new one.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Do not try to fix it. You will not be happy overall with trying to repair it. My opinion but you are better off either replacing it for another. (Ti?) or just rocking it flawed and proud. As long as the price is right.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Inmate @Lost Cosmonaut posted this most recently uploaded awesome GPW 1000 disassembly video on another thread:
It shows how the metal part of the bezel is retained.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts