WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a Sinn 556 anniversary and one of the shots that I loved (before buying) is the one below.
The markers on these really catch the light but I love how it contrasts here with the dark shot.
I tried recreating the shot but if I go to a dark environment there is no light to catch on the markers, any hints on how I can try to recreate this image?
Pretty much a noob so don't expect a full guide but any pointers would be more than welcome!

Shot I like

own shot, in full light

·
Registered
282 Posts
Looking at the shadows under the hands, I would say there were two lights, very low, at about 2:00 and 10:00, 'skimming' over the surface of the watch. Also, I don't imagine that this was a straight, out of the camera shot, but was probably massaged in post processing. (it was "photoshopped") With careful lighting, you should be able to come close, but it will not be a 5 minute set up and shoot. As to the camera, if you get the lighting correct, the iphone should work.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Yes and no. The lighting should be able to be recreated as described above. The up hill battle will be the shallow depth of feild to keep the edges of the bezel out of focus and the post processing. The contrast and lighting curves in that photo is much higher than most cameras will produce alone. With out processing you will have noise in the lower part of the picture and it wont be that black.

also looks like the sinn logo and lume areas were desaturated

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. A lot of input to work with, truly appreciated! Not an easy thing so will need to find some time.

The thought of post processing scares me though. Not because of the challenge but more from a viewpoint that I want to try to capture the watch as it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,669 Posts
Sure you can do it through adjusting the EV in the negative direction. Make sure the light is bright and reflecting off the hands and markers, then turn down the exposure control (EV) and the dial and everything but the reflected light will darken.

Here's one I took with my phone that's somewhat similar. I could have turned it down more to further darken the dial, but I wanted some dial detail. Also, I took this in my office so the hands weren't reflecting a lot of light to begin with. Hopefully, you get the idea.

Attachments

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I tried these before I posted here. Time to play a bit more. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts