WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that the bracelet on my Rainbow Chronograph is connected to each lugs with a pressure pin, rather than a spring bars as you'd expect. I'm going to have to switch to a strap, and I'm hoping standard 20mm spring bars will fit. Does anyone know for sure?

Here's the problem: I've reached the unfortunate conclusion that the bracelet is just too uncomfortable for me to tolerate. The clasp is the problem. The two large release levers dig into my wrist on both sides. Worse, if I bend my wrist at certain angles, the double-deployant clasp pops open without warning.

I've tried everything. I've been to my jeweler four times already to have links and half links added (it's so tough to remove the pressure pins that I can't do it with my own tools). We even tried moving the clasp further up on the bracelet to keep it away from the sensitive parts of my wrist. The only other thing he suggested is cutting off the two release levers, but I'd hate to deface such a nice bracelet.

I generally very much prefer bracelets to straps, but I fear I'm going to have to put a strap on it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I know most Zeniths come through with very nice alligator straps. Does anyone know a source for an OEM Zenith strap at a good price? How about some of the aftermarket straps? I assume I will need a size 20mm/18mm.

My Rainbow has the white/grey dial. What color strap would go with it? I saw one on a white strap that looked surprsingly good, but white is not exactly practical.

I found a source for an 18mm Zenith buckle, but I'd really prefer a good deployant. Any idea where I can get a Zenith deployant for a good price?

Thanks in advance!

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
18,178 Posts
Sorry to hear of your problems. Have you thought about getting a high-quality generic bracelet? Or would that be too sacrilegious for you?!

Can't comment on the pins, I'm afraid - I hope that others will chip in here.

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problems jj69. To answer one of your questions, standard 20 mm spring bars work. Personally, I get the beefier ones. If you are popping open your bracelet, you may like to wear your staps tight. Not a problem at all, but the beefier 20s will wear better.

I can't recall, but I think one can get lightweight, standard, and heavy weight bars -- although I don't think they have those exact names!! As well, the beefier spring bars will have doible shoulders so they take a little more abuse.

As much as I like straps and deployants, I rarely feel it is worthwhile spending the money for OEM ones. If you like to do that, there is nothing wrong about that. If you would like the name of a US seller of good quality straps and deployants, please PM and I will send you their email.

As for the colors, you will have to be the judge of that. What one wears can get too subjective.

Hope this helps!

Dan

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for in the info Dan. If all else fails, I'll have to live with a strap.

Hartmut, I do consider non-OEM bracelets somewhat "sacreleigious." I actually like the look of the Rainbow bracelet, it's just the clasp that's the problem. Check out my other post for the clasp mod I'm going to attempt.

- Joe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts