WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

First I know precisely nothing about watches. I am looking for a recommendation (specific, or even just a general, "look here," would be helpful) for a new pocket watch.

I have been using a Victorinox Swiss Army Pocket Watch for about 7 years now and I've enjoyed the watch quite a bit. In fact I would like to find a similar watch, but one that has a (excuse me if I get the terminology wrong) full hunter design. I like my current pocket watch because its battery powered, and very very sturdy. Over the years I've literally dropped it several times and not once feared for its safety. I don't need gold or silver or special movements, but I do want something that doesn't feel cheap.

I'm looking to spend less then $200. I would normally just google for something like this but several days of searching has left me bombarded by a vast number of very cheap pocket watches but no strong possibles. If anyone knows a good company, or pocket watch line, or even a model I would greatly appreciate some guidence.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum! For a new pocketwatch, this site is a good start to see what is available and also to learn more about pocketwatches in general:
http://www.pocketwatchsite.com/snew.html

I would also suggest looking at pre 1950ies American pocketwatches, a fully serviced 17 jewel watch would fit into your budget. You will get superior quality compared to anything produced today within the same price range.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I agree with Ron. Regrettably, the LAST thing you want to do, is drop a mechanical pocket watch - it could be quite literally the last thing you do with it.

There are plenty of hunter-case, quartz pocket watches out there, but I don't know that many of them would be "heirloom quality". By that I mean, of a substantial weight and which don't look like cheap, tourist-souvenier watches...

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
Tissot still make quartz pocket watches. I'm not familiar with them, but I'm sure they'll be well made.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
A typical mechanical pocket-watch has a power-reserve of 28-36 hours. Special models have power-reserves lasting upwards of a week.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.