WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a newbie to the world of Russian watches, I could use some advice from more experienced members about three Poljot watches that I have been looking at. Specifically, I'd like to know if anyone is familiar with these models, if they are genuine, accurate and reliable,if the price is right, and anything else you might know that would help me to make an intelligent and informed purchase. :thanks
HAPPY NEW YEAR 2007 TO ALL!

(1) Poljot Chrono on sale at eBay for $299.00:

(2) Poljot Chronograph "Chronoswiss Style" 3133 movement on sale at www.RusBrands.com for $329.00:

(3) Poljot Regulator on sale at www.pojot1.com for $295.00:

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
These watches are all genuine :) Unfortunately (I guess due to the weak US$) prices for Poljots have gone up over the last year :-( The prices shown are average prices at the moment.
Reliability and accuracy are a difficult subject regarding Russian watches :-( Experience has shown that, when you get a working watch from the seller, it will keep running reliable ;-) The accuracy can be good, however, Russian watches usually aren't regulated that well - they have the potential to be accurate though.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, Micha. I appreciate your help. I am a fan of coin edge watches since they are quite attractive, and we rarely see them anywhere here in the States. I will have to make a decision among these three, though, and I like the simplicity of the first one. Do you like any of these?
I enjoyed your web site and all the great photos of your travels. Marburg is beautiful. I have not been to Germany in many years and you wet my appetite for a visit. :thanks

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
I like the 1st one a lot, because of the clean design. Number 2 isn't my cup of tea. Mainly because of all the lines across the dial. The case and two register chrono are very nice, but - for my taste - it should have a different dial. I'm not a fan of two-tone either, but hey, that's why tastes are different. Number 3 is nice too (question to the forum veterans here: isn't that the one G.I. designed?).
Have you been to Germany yet? I lived in Marburg for a while - unfortunately I had to move because of professional reasons. :)

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks again Micha and Craig. OK, well how about these models? I am still not quite clear about the different movements in Russian watches and why some are superior to others and therefore cost more. Here are some others:

The first two models appear to be identical, but one has silver-gray dial w/ black hands and costs $340.00 and the other has green hands and costs $260.00! Or am I missing something here?

(1) Buran Silver Chrono: 3133 Movement, $340.00

(2) Buran Silver Chrono: 3133 Movement, $260.00

(3) Poljot Lunar Chrono: 3133 Movement w/Moonphase, $270.00

(4) Strela Chrono: 3133 Movement, $327.50 ( Silver or White dial)

(5) Poljot Chronograph w/31681 Movement, $224.25

·
Registered
764 Posts
A lot of factors... not just the movement, which, the more complicated, usually the more expensive.

But the manufacturer, when the watch was made, the materials (like sapphire versus mineral crystal) etc. effect the price...

And, just the impact of markets and retailers of course ... some sellers are willing to risk their relationships with manufacturers and under sell on price. Others follow the suggested prices more closely.

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Thanks again Micha and Craig. OK, well how about these models? I am still not quite clear about the different movements in Russian watches and why some are superior to others and therefore cost more. Here are some others:

The first two models appear to be identical, but one has silver-gray dial w/ black hands and costs $340.00 and the other has green hands and costs $260.00! Or am I missing something here?

2) Buran Silver Chrono: 3133 Movement, $260.00
(3) Poljot Lunar Chrono: 3133 Movement w/Moonphase, $270.00
(4) Strela Chrono: 3133 Movement, $327.50 ( Silver or White dial)
(5) Poljot Chronograph w/31681 Movement, $224.25

These movements all base on the same 3133 movement. Complications like the 24h dial or moonphase were added later, but basically they're still 3133s. There are no different "Quality-grades", there are some decorated 3133s out there, but apart from the looks there shouldn't be a quality difference. Of course the movements with more complications are more expensive.
The price difference is mainly due to the seller IMO. I guess it depends on when he bought the watch from Poljot (before or after the dollar became expensive). There also doesn't seem to be a list-price for Poljot watches :-s

·
Registered
4,196 Posts

(2) Buran Silver Chrono: 3133 Movement, $260.00

I own this model (bought an pre-owned and never worn one for 170 Euro).
As already said by Micha, there are many factors - many sellers have different marketing strategies and different prices.
The movement is always the same.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Keep in mind that any Volmax watches (Aviator, Buran, and Shturmanskie) purchased from the retailers mentioned in this thread may not be covered by the Volmax warranty. Volmax very recently published a new tough policy basically "outlawing" its watches that are sold by unauthorized sellers. Some of those persona non grata sellers are listed specifically in the Volmax new release:

http://www.aviatorwatch.ru/en/news

Volmax states it will not honor the warranty of its watches sold by unauthorized sellers. If you are concerned about warranty coverage it would be prudent to read the policy carefully.

;-)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts