WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can the plexi glass be replaced on a Swatch Irony? Specifically the watch below.

The scratch is too deep for polywatch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Just one more TX Timex Enabler Club - Broths Hams n Subs
12,625 Posts
Update: I've actually managed to get rid of the scratch with brasso!! Scrubbed really hard and after 4 attempts it was gone!

I will try this with my $5 vintage easy reader that is super scratched.

WIS Interwebs Communicator Tool

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Relieved to hear you got the scratch out, nice job! I'm still curious about the possibility of replacement, though. I have that same exact watch and sometimes I get to worrying when I read about the disposable-by-design nature of most swatches.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Relieved to hear you got the scratch out, nice job! I'm still curious about the possibility of replacement, though. I have that same exact watch and sometimes I get to worrying when I read about the disposable-by-design nature of most swatches.
I'm sure I read some where that you can replace them. I know they sell the glasses on eBay so i would imagine it's something that can be done.

I'm sure it's the normal all plastic swatch that can't be done. But I could be wrong.

To be honest you should be able to replace them as they aren't as stupidly cheap as the plastic swatchs

·
Premium Member
2,029 Posts
Yes, with the plastic Swatches, the movement is front loaded and the crystal sonic welded (I think that's the proper term for the method) to the case, so if they ever go south, it's completely toast.

I'm not into the Irony models, so can't answer for those, but glad OP found a solution.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Back when I had a couple of Swatch watches, I did some research into this. There are a couple of watchmakers in the UK that serve the die-hard collector community although they have been disappearing lately. They service the Irony models by breaking the acrylic seal that holds bezel, crystal and case together. Because there's no easy way to release the stem from the front of the movement, the movement will sometimes also break and need to be replaced with each service.

So, the bottom line is that it is possible, but the materials (crystal + movement) and labor cost is almost always greater than the cost of a new watch.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Back when I had a couple of Swatch watches, I did some research into this. There are a couple of watchmakers in the UK that serve the die-hard collector community although they have been disappearing lately. They service the Irony models by breaking the acrylic seal that holds bezel, crystal and case together. Because there's no easy way to release the stem from the front of the movement, the movement will sometimes also break and need to be replaced with each service.

So, the bottom line is that it is possible, but the materials (crystal + movement) and labor cost is almost always greater than the cost of a new watch.
Many thanks for this! Good to know!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts