WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I was cleaning on of my watches with a Q-Tip, and I made some streaks along the band. From certain angles they can't be seen. I tried to show them as well as possible in these pictures. The resin feels smooth througout, I didn't tear into or peel off a layer of the resin (at least it feels like I haven't) I've tried scrubbing this in the opposite way of the streaks to try to remove them, but nothings really working. This is a limited edition, so it will be hard to replace this strap. I just thought I could ask you guys, become some of you on here, are true geniuses at this stuff.
Any help is greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks.
smudge1.jpg smudge2.jpg smudge3.jpg smudge5.jpg

·
Registered
902 Posts
Make more lines like this trying to create a unique pattern and sell that for double the price that it costed.

Just kidding.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
For future cleaning adventures try using liquid soap, warm water and softish bristle nail brush, dry it off with a hand towel you shouldn't have any problems. I've always cleaned my G's this way and apart from the two resin rot casualties I've never had a problem. But I'm intrigued why you were using a q-tip on the band and what you had on the q-tip.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can try polishing it, with silicone car wax.
really?...I don't really know anything about car wax, but will silicone, or any car wax for that matter, make the strap shiny? This is a matte finish strap. Just wanted to let you know that, so you had more information.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
On my yellow band, I removed some light marks on it by rubbing a 'magic sponge' on it - have no idea what it contains, yes, it really is called 'magic sponge'!

·
Registered
27 Posts
it looks like dried up water... try to dry the watch immediately with a dry cloth after you cleaned it, so the water doesn't leave marks.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On my yellow band, I removed some light marks on it by rubbing a 'magic sponge' on it - have no idea what it contains, yes, it really is called 'magic sponge'!
I'm trying one of those "magic sponge/erasers" right now...I'm trying it dry, it's not really working. I'll trying putting some water on the magic sponge now, when you did this, was the sponde dry or wet?

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
really?...I don't really know anything about car wax, but will silicone, or any car wax for that matter, make the strap shiny? This is a matte finish strap. Just wanted to let you know that, so you had more information.
No, you will just lightly buff out the surface, probably enough to remove the scratches. But after you wax & buff it, rub it well with liquid silicone and let it dry. In fact, sometimes just using the liquid silicone will make it black again (if the the scratches are VERY shallow).

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No, you will just lightly buff out the surface, probably enough to remove the scratches. But after you wax & buff it, rub it well with liquid silicone and let it dry. In fact, sometimes just using the liquid silicone will make it black again (if the the scratches are VERY shallow).
So do I need to get 2 things? Silicone car way & Liquid silicone?

·
Registered
12,020 Posts
Just try gently rubbing it off with a cotton ball or even a swab soaked in 70% Isopropyl Alcohol. Test a small area first, then wash it off with water, see what happens.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Try a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser with just a little bit of water. If that doesn't work (dry the watch band completely to see), try a Mr. Clean "extra power" Magic Eraser. It's basically the same thing but with ridges.

I've had pretty good success using these to remove slight mars and discoloration from G-Shock resin. It may work on your band as well.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
So do I need to get 2 things? Silicone car way & Liquid silicone?
If you're going to have a G collection, liquid silicone is something nice to have at hand, so first get the liquid silicone.

The eraser trick works VERY well when you have some material deposited on the resin, but in this case I think he lightly scuffed the resin, so it's not a matter of added material but removed material.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you're going to have a G collection, liquid silicone is something nice to have at hand, so first get the liquid silicone.

The eraser trick works VERY well when you have some material deposited on the resin, but in this case I think he lightly scuffed the resin, so it's not a matter of added material but removed material.
Ok, I will go get some liquid silicone. Do you have a link of something I should actually get?? I just want to make sure I get exactly the right stuff. I really don't want to mess up the watch strap anymore than it already is.

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
Just get a small flask, anyone will do, as long as it's not scented. I bet you can find it at your local supermarket.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just get a small flask, anyone will do, as long as it's not scented. I bet you can find it at your local supermarket.
OK, I will do that. Should I use a certain type of cloth to try to rub/buff out the scuffs with?

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
The silicone is not an abrasive, it will just coat the resin. If the scuffs are really light (very shallow) it will kind of fill them in and will improve the aspect of the strap, so you just need a soft cloth or a cotton ball to spread it. And as a bonus, it will also "treat" and protect the resin. If after using the silicone you think the scuffs are still visible, then it's time to consider buffing them out, and for that a silicone-based car wax might work. Neither will increase the damage, and both methods are cheaper then getting a new strap, so I think it's worth a shot.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts