WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if not, MOD please feel free to delete :)

the other day, I was bored so I went to eBay and happened to see an used white Frog in the middle of bidding
with around 15 min. to go, so I jumped in posting up the price I wanted to pay for (since I don't like bidding)
that would be 30 bucks up from the current price

5 min to closing time, I thought I'd win then another bidder put 1 more buck - so I said, what the heck, OK, here is another 10
and he kept adding 1 bucks immediately to my keeping going up another 10, then another 5

so I said, you should have it sucker, I am not into Frog that much anyway

so i stopped when there were like 20 seconds left and the final bidder won at exactly my price + 1

5 min. later, the seller PMed me and told me that he would sell the Frog to me with 200 + 10 S&M, which is around 20, 25 more than the final bidder

so it turns out this seller was bidding against me and he ended up with the G still

it's being listed again at 400 bucks

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
It only looks as if the other seller raises the price by one buck. You can't know how much he really bid. The price always gets raised by the smallest possible step. So basically you had a seller using a second account or a friend pushing up the price. Happens all the time and I guess there's not much you can do against it. I was once bidding on a G-7710 "Kawasaki" and someone kept pushing up the price. The watch was relisted about 5 or 6 times - every time the price was pushed by the same account. So I reported it and the seller was banned - it was just too obvious he was pushing the price. Still I don't think this is much of a problem as long as you stick to your limit. Sellers doing this kind of inflict damage only on themselves in the end - they gotta pay the fees if the watch is "sold" to their pushing account.

cheers, Sedi :)

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
That's definitely the LRG with the bezel that looks like it was drug by a car. I noticed that the seller re-listed after it had "sold" and thought that made the seller look extremely shady. Not to mention the fact that he re-listed it with a BIN price of $400! I know the white LRG Frog is a rare gem, but in that shape...you gotta' be kidding me!

·
Registered
450 Posts
That's funny Tsip, when I saw that watch the first thing that sprung into my mind was "Someone laid down a motorcycle while wearing a frogman!". The description actually says "It does have some scrapes and scratches as seen below in the actual pictures, can easily be sent in for repaint!", I emailed him and asked where exactly one would have damage like that repaired, and he told me Casio does it all the time. That watch is a joke. You are basically just buying a module. Which, it might be cool to have the LRG backlight with some different resin, but $400 is insane. MAYBE I would pay $125, MAYBE. The case back looks ragged as well. Seller probably just need to come to grips with the fact he ruined that watch, and is not going to get the premium that this model sometimes commands. Not sure why the font changed three times in this post.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
That's funny Tsip, when I saw that watch the first thing that sprung into my mind was "Someone laid down a motorcycle while wearing a frogman!". The description actually says "It does have some scrapes and scratches as seen below in the actual pictures, can easily be sent in for repaint!", I emailed him and asked where exactly one would have damage like that repaired, and he told me Casio does it all the time. That watch is a joke. You are basically just buying a module. Which, it might be cool to have the LRG backlight with some different resin, but $400 is insane. MAYBE I would pay $125, MAYBE. The case back looks ragged as well. Seller probably just need to come to grips with the fact he ruined that watch, and is not going to get the premium that this model sometimes commands. Not sure why the font changed three times in this post.
I put in an auction snipe at around $125 for that one, thinking I would have the LRG module and case and just use different resin on it. It would be a cheap way to get an interesting frogman mod. But my snipe never went through because the bidding was already above that in the final moments of the auction. I was surprised to see that it sold and then the seller re-listed it. It seems as though he had his friend bidding it up for him (or he somehow had 2 ebay accounts and was doing it himself). Very shady, indeed.

$400 is INSANE for a watch that is so badly damaged. It looks like someone wore it skating, fell and dragged it all the way down the halfpipe.

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
If G-fob, the most Not-frog here, is going to buy a froggie, how long can I restrain myself of going on that expensive way? :think:
I was non frog too. But I tried it. Too bad, I like it. o|

On the topic, I saw that bid too but the bezel was badly damaged. No go for me.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
so you bid on that Kawasaki watch too.... small world. I once econtacted teh seller asking why he kept on pushing the price and he offered it as a buy it know for a quite high price... did not buy it then.

It only looks as if the other seller raises the price by one buck. You can't know how much he really bid. The price always gets raised by the smallest possible step. So basically you had a seller using a second account or a friend pushing up the price. Happens all the time and I guess there's not much you can do against it. I was once bidding on a G-7710 "Kawasaki" and someone kept pushing up the price. The watch was relisted about 5 or 6 times - every time the price was pushed by the same account. So I reported it and the seller was banned - it was just too obvious he was pushing the price. Still I don't think this is much of a problem as long as you stick to your limit. Sellers doing this kind of inflict damage only on themselves in the end - they gotta pay the fees if the watch is "sold" to their pushing account.

·
Affordables Moderator
17,578 Posts
Back when I was into Russian watches there was a seller like that, no matter what the auctions would always go exactly like you described, then the watch would be relisted within hours. :roll: AFAIK that seller is no longer around, at least under the same name.

That's pretty much why I stopped bidding in auctions. If I see something I like but it is an auction I wait until the last few minutes, see what the price is and if it is under my limit I bid my final price once. If I get it, great, if not, oh well.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
If the seller has not been banned, I think you should post his seller ID here. At least it limits his chances of doing it too often. And he can just make another ID to do the same thing although it would take some time to get to his previous feedback score.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have learned that if I don't 'win' a watch -- there will, at some point in time, be another one.
This seller should be banned if he' is not already!!!

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
so you bid on that Kawasaki watch too.... small world.
Especially when you're a German G-Shock-fan - the world is small indeed. I guess there are often a few people from the forums bidding against each other on German ebay if the watch is of any interest. I also noticed that the prices for used G-Shocks keep going up all the time - just a few years back you could get a DW-8200-1 in decent shape for 50€ - sadly those times are gone.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts