WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Banned
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

The question in the title is perhaps a bit misleading, but it has been on my mind for quite some time.

I'm 44 years old and have a certain affinity for "fair clocks", as I call them. That is, chronographs with overloaded dials and additional scales on the bezel that no one needs. Even heavy divers have done it to me.

However, when I wear such a watch, I somehow feel silly, so that I reach for the 3-hand watch again in the office and also in my free time.

Does anyone know this feeling (heart against mind)?

Do you think that after a certain age things shouldn't be a little more subtle - watch-wise? I'm torn about this...

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
ummm no, I'm 55 and could not imagine life without my Speedy or Pelagos. I do understand what you are saying but by my reckoning you have about 25 years before you consider this again and I have about 20 before I trade them all in for my golden years Rolex.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
I’m 62-years-old. With my eyesight, I’m never gonna be able to calculate my required fuel to get me to Auckland so, l‘d probably end up like Amelia Earhart.

I used to love chronographs. Just can’t read’em. I best stick to three-handers

·
Registered
384 Posts
I’m 62-years-old. With my eyesight, I’m never gonna be able to calculate my required fuel to get me to Auckland so, l‘d probably end up like Amelia Earhart.

I used to love chronographs. Just can’t read’em. I best stick to three-handers
At 65, I have the same issue. My biggest priority with a watch is legibility. Other than that, I'll wear pretty much anything except kiddie watches like Mickey Mouse, Batman, etc.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I’m 56 and trying to figure out why some think getting older means you can’t have fun. Wear what you like, and enjoy life…it’s too short to worry about someone else thinking a watch is silly.
However, when I wear such a watch, I somehow feel silly, so that I reach for the 3-hand watch again in the office and also in my free time.
Is this a question about caring or worrying about the perception of others as it relates to watch choices? It seems that the OP is talking about his own changing perceptions of what looks good as he ages and is inquiring as to whether or not others here have experienced anything similar.

Maybe I’m missing the part about him fretting over what others think about his choice of wristwatches. If it is a question about evolving taste as we age, I think most of us could relate.

·
Registered
10,352 Posts
Do you think that after a certain age things shouldn't be a little more subtle - watch-wise?
it appears that you do and at the advanced age of 44, will anything anyone else says change your mind? I suggest finding pants that you wear above your waist, comfy orthopedic footwear and start practicing your shuffleboard because mentally....you're already an old

·
Registered
7,727 Posts
Is this a question about caring or worrying about the perception of others as it relates to watch choices? It seems that the OP is talking about his own changing perceptions of what looks good as he ages and is inquiring as to whether or not others here have experienced anything similar.

Maybe I’m missing the part about him fretting over what others think about his choice of wristwatches. If it is a question about evolving taste as we age, I think most of us could relate.
I could be wrong, but I interpret “having an affinity” for something, yet feeling “silly” when reaching for it implies some external pressure. But, that could just be me.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
You have a false assumption that anyone notices any watch you wear.
Exactly this. Nobody notices whats on your wrist.

As an example, I occasionally wear this:

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Rectangle

Now, for reference, I'm 71.
You'd think that someone would say something about an old fart walking around wearing a Mickey Mouse watch, wouldn't you?
Well, you'd be wrong.
Wear what you like, what makes you happy, because no-one else gives a flying whatsit.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts