WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,517 Posts
Hello,

The question in the title is perhaps a bit misleading, but it has been on my mind for quite some time.

I'm 44 years old and have a certain affinity for "fair clocks", as I call them. That is, chronographs with overloaded dials and additional scales on the bezel that no one needs. Even heavy divers have done it to me.

However, when I wear such a watch, I somehow feel silly, so that I reach for the 3-hand watch again in the office and also in my free time.

Does anyone know this feeling (heart against mind)?

Do you think that after a certain age things shouldn't be a little more subtle - watch-wise? I'm torn about this...

Of course you can wear whatever you want whenever you want. It's ridiculous to think otherwise.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Has nothing to do with the age. Stupid or cheap designs will always look stupid and cheap no matter what. Busy dials and huge watches with more dials and gshocks-protreks all are looking bad at any age. Im over 50 and i always like to wear this very nicely designed mickey watch.

Watch Analog watch Clock Material property Font

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Hello,

The question in the title is perhaps a bit misleading, but it has been on my mind for quite some time.

I'm 44 years old and have a certain affinity for "fair clocks", as I call them. That is, chronographs with overloaded dials and additional scales on the bezel that no one needs. Even heavy divers have done it to me.

However, when I wear such a watch, I somehow feel silly, so that I reach for the 3-hand watch again in the office and also in my free time.

Does anyone know this feeling (heart against mind)?

Do you think that after a certain age things shouldn't be a little more subtle - watch-wise? I'm torn about this...
No, I’m not a too dissimilar age and I wear what I like.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
As I get older I care less and less about what others think or if I look silly doing or wearing something. Kind of comes with life lessons and what is really important (not what others think) and what isn't important (what others think).

Plus, sometimes it's fun just to mess with people - wearing that batman watch posted on page 1 to the store would be fun!

So, actually as I get older the LESS I worry about looking silly.

·
Registered
187 Posts
That's not my thing, but absolutely wear what you like and screw anyone else.

I find that, as I grow older (52), I lean more towards watches that are simpler in style (though not nec. minimalist). But that's just me. I've never worn orange much, my wrists are only 7.0 inches, and I'm a bit on the conservative side, style-wise. I have considered getting a massive Sinn EZM 10 TESTAF, which is the size of a hockey puck... but it's the cost (and scarcity), not the size and color that dissuade me.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
My Dad is on the north side of 60 and wears a large Rolex Submariner
I am still under 40 and happily wear 35mm watches that my dad has now deemed too small for him (even though that is where he started with watches)
My sister is 3 years younger than me and still loves to wear her Snoopy/Woodstock vintage Timex

Age shouldn't determine what you choose to wear w.r.t. your watch choices (with the obvious exception of extreme cases like letting your 8 year old wear a Two-Tone Rolex Sport Watch)

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm of two minds on this.

One, there is the part that says to heck with what anyone else thinks. Wear what you like. I wear watches for me, not for the masses outside my front door.

Two, there is the practical that says that certain watches have a more youthful vibe and some have a more mature vibe. If you do have to be at all conscious of your public persona, then you do have to stay in your lane somewhat. Of course, that doesn't mean you can't wear what you want on your off days.

·
Registered
750 Posts
A 22 year old and a 72 year old wearing a large overly busy watch are the same to me. If anything the older dude gets a pass for wearing loud ostentatious ****, because he deserves it, he can do whatever he wants at this point. If the 22 year old wears it I’m assuming he’s copying a rapper or something

41 - 60 of 84 Posts