WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
No, absolutely not! Are you not familiar with the, "Laws of which type of watch to wear for a certain age"??

I would quote them, but since there are over 20 laws, plus all of the subsets... I will not quote them here.

·
Registered
21,744 Posts
Yes, Apple watch is an example.

·
Registered
24,218 Posts
I think it's a demonstrably false premise that nobody notices what watch you wear. As WIS, we generally do notice the watch that another person wears. I've seen a colleague who was sitting beside me at a thesis defense try to figure out what watch I was wearing, and I've noticed him wear a JLC Master Control on a different occasion. Just yesterday, I noticed a person I was introduced to wearing a vintage two-tone Royal Oak. The real question is whether you should care enough about what they think to let it affect what you choose to wear.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Hello,

The question in the title is perhaps a bit misleading, but it has been on my mind for quite some time.

I'm 44 years old and have a certain affinity for "fair clocks", as I call them. That is, chronographs with overloaded dials and additional scales on the bezel that no one needs. Even heavy divers have done it to me.

However, when I wear such a watch, I somehow feel silly, so that I reach for the 3-hand watch again in the office and also in my free time.

Does anyone know this feeling (heart against mind)?

Do you think that after a certain age things shouldn't be a little more subtle - watch-wise? I'm torn about this...
I bought this when I was 53, and did most of the damage a few years later when I fell off my skateboard whizzing down the hill into town.
Watch Blue Clock Watch accessory Rectangle

Watch Clock Analog watch Rectangle Font

Still works fine, but I did have to recalibrate the compass function.
JJ

·
Registered
189 Posts
Age is just a number so...why no....unfortunately its not the other way around when you were in early teens you wanted to wear an amazing diver but never had the money now you can. However you can were a great casio that you wanted as teen now, or mickey mouse watch so why not.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Watch Analog watch Product Azure Clock
Yes. I am 68 and love my PAM. And this is the 68th post to this thread.

• Love
Reactions: Actium

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Has nothing to do with the age. Stupid or cheap designs will always look stupid and cheap no matter what. Busy dials and huge watches with more dials and gshocks-protreks all are looking bad at any age. Im over 50 and i always like to wear this very nicely designed mickey watch.

View attachment 16713649
That's the best looking MM watch I've seen; yeah I could rock that one!

Reactions: kostependrhs

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
As a 62 year old with hair half way down my back, a full beard and usually to be seen smoking a pipe I think the questions that enter peoples heads are more likely to be:
  • Which asylum has he escaped from?
  • What band does he play in?
(hopefully not in that order :ROFLMAO: )

Not "I wonder what watch that old fella is wearing".

If you like it, wear it.

Now, if I could afford a Leopard Daytona, I would definitely wear it.

• Haha

·
Registered
279 Posts
OP are you sure this just isn't psychological exhaustion at having too much choice? You're subconsciously looking to take away options so you have 1 less decision to make? That seems more plausible to me than the frankly appalling admission that you'd choose not to wear something you enjoy because of your age.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Wear what you like. I don't think anyone really notices watches to begin with and if they do I'm sure the thought is fleeting and meaningless. You earned your money - spend it on what you want and what brings you joy.

Besides, I think the only one to actually notice and care would be a fellow watch enthusiast - and if that's the case... they probably are going to like what you got on or at the very least appreciate it!

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
As a 62 year old with hair half way down my back, a full beard and usually to be seen smoking a pipe I think the questions that enter peoples heads are more likely to be:
  • Which asylum has he escaped from?
  • What band does he play in?
(hopefully not in that order :ROFLMAO: )

Not "I wonder what watch that old fella is wearing".

If you like it, wear it.

Now, if I could afford a Leopard Daytona, I would definitely wear it.

I'd be thinking what's he smoking in that pipe?

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
I'd be thinking what's he smoking in that pipe?
A reasonable question. If you were to ask you would find that pipe smokers are just as nerdy as WIS and possibly end up being told far more about English, Balkan, Oriental, Cigar Leaf, Aromatic, and other blends than you really wanted to know!

Short answer: Tobacco.

• Haha

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
A reasonable question. If you were to ask you would find that pipe smokers are just as nerdy as WIS and possibly end up being told far more about English, Balkan, Oriental, Cigar Leaf, Aromatic, and other blends than you really wanted to know!

Short answer: Tobacco.

ha! I know! I know!

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Well i feel the same with some rectangular watches, it looks like for someone with double my age, but i still like the JLC Reverso, i just don't wear it because i don't have one 😅

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
It's how the watch makes you FEEL.
If you will feel self-conscious in a certain setting with a certain watch,
then simply wear another one! Problem solved.

I might not wear the smurfy/pelagos blue or the bright honey yellow everywhere,
but there are plenty of places where I DO feel comfortable wearing
the Nodus Avalon smurfy/pelagos blue and the Scurfa Treasure Seeker honey yellow (both great watches).
I really hope this helps. I tried to answer the underlying question.

61 - 80 of 84 Posts