WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about changing the clasp on my Casio Oceanus S100 to a ratchet clasp form Strapcode. However, I remember in my engineering materials unit that you should not have dissimilar materials in contact for a long time, especially with moisture. I'm not sure if this is an exception because the clasp and bracelet materials are corrosion resistant metals.

·
Registered
36,311 Posts
Your last sentence is the key. Should not be an issue with those two metals. I recently put a titanium Seiko dive clasp on a stainless bracelet. No worries.

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
No problem. Hardly anything made of titanium is 100% titanium, somewhere it always connects with steel (screws, bolts, other parts,..). Did you ever hear of titanium spring bars for titanium cases? ;-)

The Steinhart Ocean One Titanium 500 has a titanium case and bracelet, but the bezel, the crown and the clasp are steel. So, no problem et all.

·
Registered
36,311 Posts
No problem. Hardly anything made of titanium is 100% titanium, somewhere it always connects with steel (screws, bolts, other parts,..). Did you ever hear of titanium spring bars for titanium cases? ;-)

The Steinhart Ocean One Titanium 500 has a titanium case and bracelet, but the bezel, the crown and the clasp are steel. So, no problem et all.
Yeah, think that is the case with the Tudor Pelagos as well, steel parts on titanium case.

·
Premium Member
71,508 Posts
It shouldn’t be too severe. You will get some stick/corrosion due to the dissimilar metals but you’ll probably. not even be able to feel or see it.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
Your last sentence is the key. Should not be an issue with those two metals. I recently put a titanium Seiko dive clasp on a stainless bracelet. No worries.
Although in this case there should be no issue, that both materials are corrosion resistant by themselves doesn't mean there won't be galvanic corrosion when they are paired. Galvanic corrosion is a different mechanism from oxidation. Nickel is what we would consider corrosion resistant (self passivating like stainless steel or titanium) and gold is very corrosion resistant (there is no natural oxide of gold), but put them together in salt water and the gold will galvanically attack the nickel.

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
The Seiko MM300 comes with a steel bracelet with a titanium clasp. Some multi-metal golf clubheads are designed using titanium hitting surfaces framed on steel backing. Never heard of any corrosion problems with this due to one of the metals becoming a sacrificial anode.

·
Premium Member
8,039 Posts
I've had numerous watches with a mix of SS and Ti bracelet links, and SS bracelets with Ti clasps (or Ti bracelets with SS clasps), never had an issue.
I never had them for more than 5 years though so I can't say what if anything would happen after 10-20 years.

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts