WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I'm new to the forum, but have always loved watches and have a small collection that includes among others a few swiss automatics - Tag Grand Carrera Calibre 8, Hamilton Jassmaster Tonneau and the Swiss Army in question.

This watch was purchased in Switzerland in 1995. It was the first automatic I owned, and has kept excellent time throughout it's life. It has never been serviced, in fact when I brought it to an authorized service center recently they said come back next year - it's only losing about 7s a day, and doesn't warrant service! More interestingly, they said they have absolutely no idea what model watch this is and it is not listed in any current North American catalogues for Swiss Army.

So I am hoping to post some pictures and have some brilliant member out there show how smart they are and identify the watch :)

Thanks for your help!

James

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry - I should add that I have no idea either. The way I wrote the first post made it sound like a trivia question! I'm looking for any information I can find, and have emailed some people at Swiss Army too with these same pictures...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oddly, no. The only markings are on the caseback as you see them in the pics. No markings under the band, nothing visible through the crystal. I have not removed the caseback - this watch has never been opened so I'd like to keep it that way until it requires service.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Oddly, no. The only markings are on the caseback as you see them in the pics. No markings under the band, nothing visible through the crystal. I have not removed the caseback - this watch has never been opened so I'd like to keep it that way until it requires service.
so youve never removed the case back but you already know it doesnt have a serial number on the inside? puzzled

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, sorry. Misread your first post. I guess I don't know that it doesn't have one inside. I meant there is no serial number on the outside that I can find.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Oh, sorry. Misread your first post. I guess I don't know that it doesn't have one inside. I meant there is no serial number on the outside that I can find.
i would suggest just getting it serviced and checking the inside of the case back for a serial or model number and taking it from there. never hurts to have it serviced

·
Registered
641 Posts
Isn't that crest for Swiss Military Watch?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The crest is confusing. It looks closest to Swiss Military (SWISS MILITARY - Offizielle Homepage), but I thought that was the brand that Wenger makes. Except their 'Swiss Military' crests look different (Swiss Military : Overview), and none of the markings would match how they describe their authentic watches to be. And of course, the labeling says Swiss Army. Is there a difference between these two 'Swiss Military' brands?

More interesting information...Victorinox Swiss Army in Canada (swissarmy.ca) got back to me. They were not particularly helpful. They just said that it isn't our watch, and we can't help you. Not sure if that was just someone too lazy to bother on a friday afternoon, or if they are saying it is a Wegner watch or if they are saying it is something else (maybe a knock off).

Seems very unlikely to be a knock off. My father purchased this watch in Switzerland at (what he says) was a reputable store. Plus, he is also an enthusiast of watches (owns some Tags, some Rolexes, some older Seiko autos). He's unlikely to have purchased it off the back of a truck. And, given the performance of the watch over the last 16 years, it is clearly a quality item.

The plot thickens...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts