WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
The IWC and Omega are stunning! The Cyma is pretty nice as well ... sweet haul!

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Great watches I especially like the Poljot and the IWC. You have an excellent little collection there. You may want to post this in the vintage forum where you may get more replies.

·
11,864 Posts
Better results may be had if this is asked in the vintage and pocket watch forum.

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
Hi. Sorry we just don't do valuations in here (see sticky for why) - but we'd be happy to help in other ways.

When we've had 5 or 6 watches posted like this before, it has got very confusing as to which piece is being discussed. Please post them one at a time (perhaps over a few days) with pictures of the back and - ideally - of the movement - but only if you can get the back off without damage.

There are some very nice and collectable watches there. The end one is a Poljot:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poljot

·
Registered
770 Posts
Third one from left is the star piece. That is a top notch watch. Although I cannot immediately tell you the calibre, somebody here can.
It is a valuable watch but as we are a community of watch lovers and not traders or brokers I'm unable to give a hard and fast value. I would have that one serviced, I would not touch the dial which is just right for the age of the watch and I would keep it healthy by wearing it often.
The Cyma is a good watch, as is the Omega. Neither is a pension fund. The rest are interesting but not very valuable.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I agree that these are all lovely. The IWC is possibly a Cal. 89, although that's only a guess because of its ubiquity in their watches from this period. One look at the movement and we'd know for sure, as it's quite distinctive. The Omega is also pretty good. I have seen a few fakes of these, however, so, again, the movement is probably the best way to know for sure about it. They're all in pretty reasonable condition and I'd suggest that they range from the late 30s to the 1960s. Still, that's a wild, uninformed guess and I confess to having no idea at all about the Poljot.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ha, leave it to the newbie not to read the stickies first. Anyone have a suggestion on how to get the backs off without going to a jeweler?

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Hey HB,

Wristwatch casebacks are a little different to pocketwatch casebacks, but these could be a combination of snap-on and screw-on casebacks. If you provide us with photos of each caseback, we might be able to tell you which is which, or if another method is required to open the back of the watch.

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
For screw-on backs you need a tool like in the picture. Known as 'jaxa-type'. Cheap ones are good enough for occasional use, and will let you change your own quartz batteries as well.

For snap-on backs you need a case knife like in the second picture. Sometimes you can do it with a penknife, but this will often slip result in scratching and - not infrequently - copious bleeding.

The Poljot looks to be an alarm model.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Before I find a penknife and start scratching the hell out of my casebacks, here are their pics, in respective order of the faces above. Sorry no Poljot pic. I'll try to get the movements soon, and reposting by single pieces as recommended.

·
Registered
770 Posts
In spite of our interest, do not remove the casebacks. Some of your watches will be devalued a lot by scratching them and could be damaged.The IWC in particular should be left to a high end watchmaker as repairs will not be cheap if you bust it.
If you are interested in wearing them, take them to a watchmaker and have them serviced. If you are interested in selling them, put them up for sale.
If you just want to know what people will pay for them, then put a very high reserve on to test the market.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
The Invar looks to be hinged - you might be able to open it with your thumbnail.

Tom is right - of course - scratching these would be a shame. You can always stick some tape over before trying.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts