WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you identify this Elgin watch?

I would love to finding out more about this very elegant and classy Elgin watch whose pictures I have posted below. As per the pictures, it has a 687 movement and is manual wind. It is 32 mm in diameter, not including crown. If anyone knows the model name, possible year of production, power reserve, water resistance, etc., would you be kind enough to let me know? Also, what would you pay for it (not asking for an objective market valuation, just your subjective personal opinion)?

Thanks in advance :)

667414016_o.jpg

667415618_o.jpg

667415279_o.jpg

667414078_o.jpg

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, I think the movement beats at 14,400 bph according to the Tickoprint app. Not sure if anyone can confirm this...

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
17,890 Posts
Also, I think the movement beats at 14,400 bph according to the Tickoprint app. Not sure if anyone can confirm this...
Well, the base movement is the Cal. 680 (this one minus centre seconds adaptation):

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: Elgin 680

...and that one is 18000 A/h. So I would doubt that yours is meant to run at that low a rate. Unless it's a special adaptation.

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
257 Posts
Thats a cool watch but I think is due for a service. I see the regulator is pushed all the way to "S" side.
I find Wildspectra better and more accurate than Tickprint. The last one always seems to be off by 30-40 secs

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for your comments, really appreciate it. Yeah, Tickprint is not accurate at all with auto-sensing bph. I ran it a few times and it gave me a different opinion each time. I have adjusted the regulator since the pics were taken, and now it's almost all the way to the other side... Probably not a good thing either.

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
Assuming the case serial number is accurate the watch dates to 1952 which would agree with its general styling and shockproofing feature. It's a US made Elgin.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ray, your assessment of the year of production of the watch is very valuable to me. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
The absence of a serial number means the movement is from AFTER Elgin stopped putting them on movements, around 1955, after they reached 56,000,000. The 8/0 movements were replaced by the 13/0 series in 1956. I'm not sure how long the overlap took, or whether they were both being made at the same time. So, figure 1955-1956.

"Shockmaster" is a description of the movement. Elgin called all of it's shockproofed movements "Shockmaster", until about 1958, when they introduced the Durabalance, which they claimed negated the need for shockproofing balance jewels.

The 6754 model is called the "Seaman". See the final pages at this link. It was sold as waterproof, hence the waterproof crown and gasketed, screwoff back.

EDIT: It should be running at 18,000 bph. That's what it's geared for.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts