WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I was hoping that the vast collective knowledge of the members can help in the identification of a specific Tudor Prince Date + Day model.

Below, is the image of said watch. However, I have no idea how to obtain further information on the item since Tudor does not provide a chronolog of their earlier pieces on their website, like many other manufacturers often have.

Is there perhaps a more specific model number associated with this watch? What is the movement in this piece? I suspect it to be an ETA 2834 but am uncertain. Lastly, does anyone know between what years this model was produced?

Your help in this matter is greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Sneezy

·
4,410 Posts
Has the look of a late model Tudor...

the last of the oyster cased watches. And, yes, a modified 2834.

However, something strikes me as odd about that watch, and I suspect it may not be real. Do you have any movement shots?

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
Re: Has the look of a late model Tudor...

the last of the oyster cased watches. And, yes, a modified 2834.

However, something strikes me as odd about that watch, and I suspect it may not be real. Do you have any movement shots?
I'm inclined to agree with you Strela. The caseback looks a bit off as well as the day and date fonts.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Has the look of a late model Tudor...

This is what I was afraid of as well. So I wanted to do some more research to know for sure. It looks real enough, but something about it makes me question it. I don't know if it is the way the diamonds are set or what...

Unfortunately, I do not have any movement shots as of yet. But I will very soon. Also, what is throwing me off is the fact that the date bubble has the correct magnification which is rare in replica items.

Also, what do the numbers "629" in the second picture signify?

Here are a couple of other shots:

When I receive the watch, I will investigate further. Luckily, the item supposedly comes with its original box, papers, sales receipts and extra links. The seller claims that he purchased it in 2001. Which is around the time that Rolex and Tudor were still putting holes into the sides of the cases, where the band meets the head. So, at this point, it is hard to say whether it is authentic or not. Especially considering that the auction listing did not seem to be too audacious. It was not listed as a Rolex like many other Tudors are, which inevitably drives up the price, as it gets more hits.

Also, crazyfingers, or anyone else for that matter, would you guys know of any sources to obtain more info on this series? I cannot even find information on the Tudor Prince collection that states the serial numbers. All of the Tudor databases for serializing that I have encountered, do not contain serials for the Classic Prince Date + Day...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@ crazyfingers:

Also, you mentioned that it was part of the Glamour collection. Were those ever made with a fluted bezel?

Thanks.

·
Registered
10,578 Posts
Re the OP - I think its HenryVIII :-d

s

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ahh! Excellent link! Thank you very much! According to the source, the Tudor Prince Date + Day with the fluted bezel was made between 2000 and 2006. The seller's comment that the watch was purchased in 2001 falls within that period and seems to contain the same elements, as far as the aesthetics of the watch are concerned.

However, the reference number of 73090 listed for the item, does not bring up any timepieces from the same collection, on a Google image search. So perhaps I am doing something incorrect.

Another thing to note, someone earlier mentioned that the back stamping seems off. I have yet to find images of Tudor case backs that look otherwise. However, I think that the back of the item was polished to removed scratches, as the markers seem a little less sharp and a little less defined. Something that I have seen occur many times when polishing watches for others, or myself.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Ahh! Excellent link! Thank you very much! According to the source, the Tudor Prince Date + Day with the fluted bezel was made between 2000 and 2006. The seller's comment that the watch was purchased in 2001 falls within that period and seems to contain the same elements, as far as the aesthetics of the watch are concerned.

However, the reference number of 73090 listed for the item, does not bring up any timepieces from the same collection, on a Google image search. So perhaps I am doing something incorrect.
Glad to help :-!. The closest thing I could find your watch was this one, but its doesnt have a fluted bezel, but maybe thats because it could be a newer version :think:.

·
4,410 Posts
The back does not look right...

Here is an original date day's back. See that the font is completely different. Were these watches many years apart in manufacturing one may reason that Tudor changed the fonts at some point, (which they did,) but these watches are supposedly very close in production.

taken from Nicholas Hacko's web site
http://www.clockmaker.com.au/w/k1200

The back from your post

These watches have been heavily faked in recent years and one should always be super diligent about them when looking for an original one.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: The back does not look right...

Hmm. Well there is no doubting the images you have posted. Thank you!

Well friends, it looks like I will be hitting up my very good friend and watch-maker for info and expertise. He can also place a call to Rolex of Canada to check the paper work that will be arriving with the item.

Thank you all for the help. I'll keep the thread updated once I know more.

·
4,410 Posts
You speak as if the watch is on its way to you...

have you seen this? This appears to be the watch you have been asking about that is still at auction.
http://cgi.ebay.com/MENS-TUDOR-PRIN...istwatches?hash=item3ca91452e7#ht_2638wt_1158

What honest ebay seller keeps his feed back private? And he seems to have an unlimited supply of these things-- search completed ebay listing for "tudor date day". Red flags all over this one dude.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: You speak as if the watch is on its way to you...

Hmmm. This is getting weirder and weirder. Being alarmed by all the info you guys have provided, I contacted the seller. He provided me with serial number, model number (76213) and said, "I understand your concerns. If you are still not satisfied, once you have received the item, feel free to take it to a Rolex dealer for confirmation. If you are still unsatisfied after 7 days of receiving the item, feel free to contact me for a refund." ... with a response like that, it doesn't leave much room for argument for the time being. He also confirmed that the watch contains an ETA 2834-2 movement.

I guess I will be getting the serial numbers checked when I get it. =S SO CONFUSED!

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,636 Posts

Bottom line..........Don't buy Rolex/Tudor off Fleabay!!!! There are way too many fakes.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts

Bottom line..........Don't buy Rolex/Tudor off Fleabay!!!! There are way too many fakes.
I don't think that's completely fair Jason. Yes, there are MANY fakes on eBay, but there are still more real Rolexes than not. You have to buy the seller first, and there are well known reputable sellers on eBay from which to buy from, you just have to do your homework. It's clear the OP wasn't as diligent as he could have been when reseraching the seller of this Tudor, but that doesn't mean you have to avoid eBay like the plague. You just have to know what you're doing.

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,636 Posts

I don't think that's completely fair Jason. Yes, there are MANY fakes on eBay, but there are still more real Rolexes than not. You have to buy the seller first, and there are well known reputable sellers on eBay from which to buy from, you just have to do your homework. It's clear the OP wasn't as diligent as he could have been when reseraching the seller of this Tudor, but that doesn't mean you have to avoid eBay like the plague. You just have to know what you're doing.
Good point. I guess my point is that there are way too many good sellers on WUS, TZ, and TRF to waste time trying to weed through the bogus watches. The only time that I have gotten "surprises" with a watch (condition less than stated, etc) is when I have bought a watch off Ebay (not a Rolex).

I guess Ebay is just too impersonal for my taste, especially with something like a Rolex watch.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts

In defense of auction sites like ebay, there are often particular watch models that never make it to the sales forums in 'conventional' places like many of us frequent. In the case of the particular watch that started this thread, there are very few examples of that specific Tudor that ever show up on common WIS sale sites, so someone aspiring for a watch like that is often left with ebay as an only option.

I would also point out that there are built in protections on ebay that are enforceable for redress if indeed the watch turns out to be less than profiled. The only major downside is the time element...a return has to be initiated within 45 days. Making note of this is not to take any of the responsibility away from the potential buyer in doing as much due dilligence as possible prior to submitting a winning bid, but ebay and the paypal process actually gives greater protection than a wire transfer on a sale forum.

Certainly for someone seeking a Rolex Sub or GMT or Datejust, there are many available specimins roaming sale forums...but for a collector looking for a Tudor Date+Day or Hydronaut, there are far greater challenges in finding such a model through common sources.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts

Good point. I guess my point is that there are way too many good sellers on WUS, TZ, and TRF to waste time trying to weed through the bogus watches. The only time that I have gotten "surprises" with a watch (condition less than stated, etc) is when I have bought a watch off Ebay (not a Rolex).

I guess Ebay is just too impersonal for my taste, especially with something like a Rolex watch.
That's very valid. I too would prefer to deal with someone on one of the various forums rather than eBay, but I do know of some fantastic sellers of watches on eBay that are very personable and offer terrific service.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I would be very suspicious of this watch. Several things stand out to me. There are no photos of the movement, which could be a very easy indicator of a fake. There are no photos of the box and papers including the original invoice. Here again, when folks sell watches on Ebay with box and papers, they always have photos of the papers and box.These, if real, are added assurances. There are lots of fake boxes and paperwork around, but are relatively easy to spot by experts. If they are fake, he wouldn't show them, but would send them to you.Another thing, he is selling another one on Ebay right now that uses the same photos as the watch that closed on the 11th, which is the one I presume you bought. These are absolutely the same photos, same date showing, exactly the same watch positions.
The watch is coming from Hong Kong, not from Portland OR where the auction originates.Very close to the epicenter of fake watches.

Problem is Tudor used ETA movements, so a jeweler who isn't aTudor expert will open the case back see a genuine ETA and tell you the watch is genuine. IF you take it to Rolex, you are probably going to leave with no watch, as they will confiscate it if it's fake.

This guy is a scammer!! Private auctions.This means he doesn't want you to see what else he has sold. He could have built those 123, + 100% feed back s on selling CD's, stuffed toys, all sorts of 2$ junk. Now he is into moving CN fake Tudors.Whenever I buy anything of value on Ebay, i alwaysook at the dealer's feedback, not only the % positive, but what he is selling. A seller who has 2000 positive feedbacks selling beanie babies but every few months sells a Double Red SeaDweller, or another nice vintage watch sets off my scammer warning alarm. He may sell one, that was his dads or one he bought years ago, but when he is moving them regularly, I'm afraid. He may be completely legit, but i'll never find out, because I'm not buying from him.
Arthur

1 - 20 of 20 Posts