WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first watch as a kid, a Fossil Blue(Laugh away), has some scratches on the crystal. I was just wondering if there is a way to polish them out? I know its not an expensive watch but I thought if I can fix it it might be good to practice on if one of my better watches ever gets a scratch.
Thanks!

·
Registered
748 Posts
If it's mineral crystal you can polish it out using toothpaste. I don't think you polish out sapphire crystals.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
If it is acrylic you can use polywatch. However, there is a good chance that it is mineral crystal and from what I have read this typically cannot be polished (at least in any fashion that will produce satisfactory results given the amount of time, effort, and elbow grease required). I suggest just sourcing a new crystal, which should be easy enough to do. If the watch has sentimental value, you might even be able to source a sapphire crystal if it has common dimensions.

·
Registered
7,551 Posts
My first watch as a kid, a Fossil Blue(Laugh away)...
Ha ha ha!! ;-)

I'd bet it's 'mineral crystal' (Aka regular plate glass) It can be polished out, but it's hard work, you need the right tools, and buying the pumice and cerium oxide can be cost prohibitive. I'd take it to a jewellers and get a quote for a fresh one to be installed.

·
Premium Member
21,880 Posts
If it's mineral crystal you can polish it out using toothpaste. I don't think you polish out sapphire crystals.
You can only use toothpaste to polish acrylic crystal. For mineral glass, if you want to hand polish it, then some diamond paste is the best option. I would actually just replace the mineral crystal, since the easiest way to polish the crystal is to first pop it off the case, as opposed to taping off the case and polishing it while it's installed.

Edit: I've replaced mineral glass crystals myself. It just requires the right tools, such as a crystal press (about $10 from Harbor Freight Tools), a caseback remover, some screwdrivers, and a pair of digital calipers to measure the crystal.

·
Registered
748 Posts
You can only use toothpaste to polish acrylic crystal. For mineral glass, if you want to hand polish it, then some diamond paste is the best option. I would actually just replace the mineral crystal, since the easiest way to polish the crystal is to first pop it off the case, as opposed to taping off the case and polishing it while it's installed.

Edit: I've replaced mineral glass crystals myself. It just requires the right tools, such as a crystal press (about $10 from Harbor Freight Tools), a caseback remover, some screwdrivers, and a pair of digital calipers to measure the crystal.
Thanks for catching that, I meant acrylic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts