WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Can you snap a real gator/croc strap & a gator/croc stamped strap in same photo?

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  hoojy 
#1 ·
I've been looking around about leather straps, trying to find any hard data and information, and. Well, there's nearly nothing. The f222 subforum wasn't particularly useful either, unfortunately.

The main thing is: I am not sure if a real gator or croc strap has any noticeable difference from, say, calf/cow/beef leather that's been embossed with a croc/gator grain. Sure, there are pictures of both kinds all over, but no picture seems to have *both types* in the same frame - so any visual difference across multiple photos can just as well be explained or nullified by differences in setup/lighting/scaling/postprocessing.
Therefore, this thread. If you have, or if you know of any pictures that straight-up show the real vs. printed side-by-side (or at least in the exact same studio setup), I'd be mighty grateful.

Or, you could just write about it in text form, if there is any visible / sensible difference, or not.

#2 ·
I do a lot of leatherwork- and each hide stamped with a reptile pattern is going to be different- I have had some that are actually scaly, and others that just had an embossed design. Any soft hide like lamb or calf is not going to be stiff like some reptile is- so taking pix to me isn't going to work too well. With that said, I have about 8 reptile hides right now if you want to see them.

#12 ·
#7 · (Edited)
I have 5 or so from this list- and have also had others. The flat black has been the scaliest. The pic is of a $150 hide I have- it is slightly metallic lambskin.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PeggySueAlso/search?search_query=croc&order=date_desc&view_type=list&ref=shop_search
Ah, but that's the thing - the majority of those on that list are embossed cowhides, and they also look pretty darn good, from what I can tell.
So I guess the real difference is in the flexibility / feel, not the appearance?

#6 ·
Alright, some of those are really impressive. I'm not too sold on the last one & the red one, though - it seems like those two would'd be feasible to stamp out...

But, yeah, the others, with ridged plating and deep texture? Awesome!

#9 · (Edited)
I'm not too sold on the last one & the red one, though - it seems like those two would'd be feasible to stamp out...
I'll give you a couple of closeups. You will not find a stamped strap that looks like this ... if you do you had better hand over your source :p ...

The best thing about real hide is its durability. Stamped croc is lucky to live a year if subjected to daily use. Real hide will look good for many years actually develop a desirable patina.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.