WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently after getting back my watch, i noticed there was a gap between the strap and the bezel, when i pulled it, i found out that on both straps, the bezel side is torn...

wondering if i can fix it with Superglue or it won't last/will melt resin?

need an answer ASAP as it really does looks like it could snap off... :thanks

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
I don't know if you can glue ( i guess you can...) it but if i were you, i would rather get a replacement bezel than risking to lose the watch...

regards, holger

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
6,204 Posts
I don't know if you can glue ( i guess you can...) it but if i were you, i would rather get a replacement bezel than risking to lose the watch...

regards, holger
It looks like the lug is broken, not the bezel. :-(

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
It looks like the lug is broken, not the bezel. :-(
ouch, looks like you're right :oops:

well in this case glueing is the only option i'm afraid, other than to replace the watch completely...:-(

regards, holger

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
by the looks of it, the 'lug' you mentioned is part of the bezel, so i guess it should be replaceable...

getting replacement parts in where i live is kinda hard though which is why i'll take it as a last resort...

·
Registered
835 Posts
NO, you cannot glue resin. Before I found out that the bezel could be replaced on my 5600C I tried to fix mine with superglue. Didn't even begin to hold.

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
The case can be glued most likely since it is not Urethane in it only poly composite. The strap made out of Poly Urethane can not be glued by super glue because the surface will not be disolved, Urethane is very chemical resistant that way.

However if you glue the case with Super Glue it will not fare well in salt water since super glue tend to disolve in salt water. So you end up with a watch that is not a G anymore.

I recommend you to just buy a new Muddie they are cheap so no big deal...:-!

·
Banned
328 Posts
A cracked and broken resin case is the reason why Casio should build all of their G-Shock watches with an all stainless steel watch case. Resin watch cases might be strong, but not strong enough like stainless steel. The pictures above in this thread prove this.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
A cracked and broken resin case is the reason why Casio should build all of their G-Shock watches with an all stainless steel watch case. Resin watch cases might be strong, but not strong enough like stainless steel. The pictures above in this thread prove this.
It would definitely be nice, but just think of how much more expensive it would be. I assume that's one of the driving forces behind the rising Frog prices. Would you buy as many G's as you have now if each was twice as expensive? And how often do you hear stories like this? Either way, I believe there are some polyurethane glues out there (but I could be wrong), so just make sure the glue is PU-safe.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Having tried super glue to fix a cracked 6800 bezel, it won't work. It'll hold it in place, sure, but bump it and it will crack again in the same places.
What might work is resin. Depending on where you live, check out a home improvement store for a syringe of clear resin. Some brands you have to mix, so be careful with the amounts. I've used it to mend tennis shoes, and it works pretty good: it stays hard and clear. Just make sure the surface is free of dirt and oil, and be careful when applying as some brands can be runny. I haven't tried this on watch resin, but it's worth a try if you were going to replace it anyway.

·
Banned
328 Posts
It would definitely be nice, but just think of how much more expensive it would be. I assume that's one of the driving forces behind the rising Frog prices. Would you buy as many G's as you have now if each was twice as expensive? And how often do you hear stories like this? Either way, I believe there are some polyurethane glues out there (but I could be wrong), so just make sure the glue is PU-safe.
Casio manufactures most of their G-Shocks in Thailand where labor is very cheap and where quality control for these particular watches is also done thru cheap labor. It doesn't cost Casio very much to manufacture these watches in Thailand in the first place. If they use stainless steel to build their G-Shocks the cost will not be that much more because they are still manufacturing their watches in the same place which is in Thailand. I don't believe that the watch would be that much more expensive if Casio were to use stainless steel. The only reason why Casio is charging big bucks for the all stainless steel case Frogman is because people are dumb enough to pay hundreds of dollars for the Frogman. If people didn't go crazy for the Frogman it would cost no more than $100. Casio doesn't want to admit to this.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
just finished super gluin' the thing and sure enough, what you guys said is true...

the lugs which is part of the main unit,had snapped, forgot to take a 'before' picture though, before i glued it, it was pretty, pretty bad...

on the hole strap side, the left lug almost snapped all the way out while on the buckle strap side, one of the lugs snapped clean...

i hope this thread should be useful in warning other users to be careful when abusing the watch as the lugs may snap...

currently waiting for the glue to completely dry as i type this hehe...

regretted not taking the 'before' picture though...

everything just fell apart when i removed the bands....

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
There's also the question of weight. I wouldn't mind the added heft for dressy occasions, but for physical activities, the lighter the better.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Didn't you send back your Mudman not long ago due to a dead module? The lug may have been damaged during the course of repairs undertaken on the watch.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
yeah i did, but i'm not gonna wait another 2 months for something i can fix with a little glue...

checked online and apparently super glue, though hard, will crack on hard impact, will get proper plastic glue when that happens...

Joakim : though Gs may be cheap there, but here its rm300, comparing apple to apple, in US the average family earns around USD4000 while here the average family earns RM4000, and the conversion rate is roughly 1USD = RM3.6

i can have a good meal for around RM5 over here which roughly translates to less than USD2, so you can guess why Gs are still considered 'expensive' in my country...

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
yeah i did, but i'm not gonna wait another 2 months for something i can fix with a little glue....
No, what I meant was, are you sure that it was you who caused the damage to your Muddie?

Considering that you sent your watch back to Casio for repairs, the lug may have been damaged by a tech working on your watch at the time.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
yeah i did, but i'm not gonna wait another 2 months for something i can fix with a little glue...

checked online and apparently super glue, though hard, will crack on hard impact, will get proper plastic glue when that happens...

Joakim : though Gs may be cheap there, but here its rm300, comparing apple to apple, in US the average family earns around USD4000 while here the average family earns RM4000, and the conversion rate is roughly 1USD = RM3.6

i can have a good meal for around RM5 over here which roughly translates to less than USD2, so you can guess why Gs are still considered 'expensive' in my country...

I would suggest a complete replacement of the case for peace of mind.

You should check with Marco regarding the cracked lug. I have had mine for more than 2 years, no problem.Same model as yours.

Cheers,
MountainMike

1 - 20 of 44 Posts