WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked this up at a little thrift shop for $10. Can't open it til I get home, but wondering if there is anything that jumps out as fake right now. Thanks! Will try to get to movement later.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Always buy first and ask later?
Lol I had just popped into the place during my work schedule today. Really didn't have time to post a pic and wait for an answer. I've spent more on damaged pin lever timex's, so I didn't figure $10 was gonna hurt me. Lol It looked ok to me but I wasn't real sure.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Always buy first and ask later?
Depends on the price and the watch for me.

My most recent random instant buy.....

s-l500 (1).jpg

s-l500 (2).jpg

s-l500 (3).jpg

Some of us live on the edge....adrenaline in the veins and grab it while the getting is good. I got a Movado Museum Auto in the box for $100 at one point....the seller said it needed a battery....It had a display back. Some are risk takers. We look back and go dang it I should of not have bought this....others times you look back and go...what a great deal it was.

The way I look at Movado watches like the one the OP has....why would you turn it down for $10? $50...yeah now you are getting too rich for my blood unless it is mechanical. $5 battery and you are in for a whopping $15. If it does not work...well sell it for parts for $30 and you are ahead.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Just got home and opened it. Looks legit. It has a 321 battery in it, so the wife is checking if they carry one at work (CVS).

View attachment 12959691
View attachment 12959693
Better than mentioning what battery it has inside, it would help to repeat the numbers on the movement, especially with such a fuzzy image, which would make it fairly easy to identify the thing (from ETA-ESA) and the time period of production. This type of knob cell came after the 1950s, if that is what you wanted to know.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Looks like the ETA 902.002.
Correct. I had that one too (or the 902.101). I've just thought that the IP would also make his contribution ...

Esslinger has both, for $17,95.

https://www.esslinger.com/eta-watch-movement-902-002-quartz-movements/
https://www.esslinger.com/eta-3-hand-quartz-watch-movement-902-101-overall-height-3-7mm/

And also, n*e*v*e*r replace a knob cell with the same you find in a vintage watch acquired from places which are not really specialized in these things. Sizes are often similar and some people (thrift shops etc.) put in whatever they have on hand. It's better to identify the movement and see what is correct - a 364 in this case. But the watch seems to be happy with anything near that size, the voltage is always correct anyway.

Dimensions: 321 / 6,8 x 1,65mm, 364 / 6,78 x 2,16mm. There could eventually be a problem with the electrical contact, over time, due to the different hight, but as the 321 is a little wider, it might sit tight enough, and after all, $17,95 for a total replacement of the movement makes it less of a risk ...

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Battery sizes are standardized so there are 6 different dimaters and every diamter have different hights.

In this case 321 (SR616SW) and 364 (SR621SW) belong to the same base family and have the same dimaeter of 6.8 mm (the first 6 in the SRSW number) but you will find minute differencies from one manufacturer to a nother. The difference in battery shape can make a battery from one manufatcurer not work in some watches but this is very rare.

I had this happen to a Seiko watch that didn't work with Seiko batteries but worked just fine with Renata battereies so I try to keep with Renata.

There are a few SRSW numbers that don't follow this rule like SR41SW because of consumer recognition.

Watch Battery Size Chart

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Sorry I hadn't gotten back with y'all. Had family come in. The movement is a 902.002. The other pics were a little small but I'm attaching another. Also Luckily the caseback states that the watch uses a 621. So the I put a new sr621sw in it. It seems to be running great right now. Set it yesterday and today hasn't lost a minute. Appreciate everyones input. So I guess I'll write this one down as a 90's model. I wish I could change out the band on this thing. Would love to put a nice Black leather strap on it.

IMG_2851.JPG

1 - 15 of 15 Posts