WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a watch from the states off Ebay, i couldnt resist. It seemed like an excellent deal since it cost less than one of my school text books and I just found an electronic copy of the same text.

In the past, when someone sends me something form the states, they have always marked valuing at $10 or so.

However, the seller may have to mark the value of the watch at the price I paid if I want to insure it for what I paid.

I've heard stories that people buy a watch from the states and end up paying up to $50CAD for tax. I really dont want this to happen, since its a significant fraction of the cost of the watch.

Any experiances or anything where you were able to avoid duties or etc?

·
Registered
933 Posts
hard to avoid duties its luck . but you can avoid brokerage fees by getting stuff shipped usps, shipping might be a little more upfront . but usps chargeed me 8$ on 464$ watch. ups charged my 75$ on a 571$ watch. you still pay gst and pst though which is a crock because buying out of province you get exempted.
so the 464$+40 shipping+8+40pst+25gst was my total for the watch.

with the exchange,shipping,duties,taxes pst and gst you can still end up paying less than local prices.

cory

·
Registered
142 Posts
Most of my watches have come from the US and outside of Canada, usually if it sent USPS, I've had to pay the tax on the declared worth and the hand-off fee to CDN post ($8.95).
If there is duty, from what I understand, it'll be %5.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I had both my Bernhardt and Wenger shipped USPS and I paid nothing for the Wenger and like $20 for the Bernhardt which I thought was decent.

I avoid UPS at ALL costs, however, my most recent purchase was shipped DHL from Hong Kong and I only paid $16. I'm pretty sure it depends on the declared value, but still, stick with USPS.

Also when using Ebay I've had to search a fair bit for sellers willing to ship USPS and not gouge me for a huge shipping charge. There are some pretty good sellers on Ebay.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I've had more watches and other collectibles sent to me from the States than I raelly care to admit. ;-)

Have them send it by US Post Global Express or International Priority. Avoid couriers like the plague.

Duties / taxes can be a bit hit-and-miss, but under-delcaring can be risky. If the shipper does so at your request, all you can hope to recover is the declared value if the worst happens.

That said, I have never had a problem with a US shipment by either of those means, though the last one there was a problem with the tracking (basically, none available for some unexplained reason) but not the actual delivery.

Roger

Roger

·
Registered
447 Posts
+1 I've got 3 watches (2 Accutron's and 1 Seiko) coming in at the moment all shipped by USPS. Never had a problem. "Extra" costs are reasonable.

NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,.....

Use UPS!

Did I make myself clear???:-d

I've had more watches and other collectibles sent to me from the States than I raelly care to admit. ;-)

Have them send it by US Post Global Express or International Priority. Avoid couriers like the plague.

Duties / taxes can be a bit hit-and-miss, but under-delcaring can be risky. If the shipper does so at your request, all you can hope to recover is the declared value if the worst happens.

That said, I have never had a problem with a US shipment by either of those means, though the last one there was a problem with the tracking (basically, none available for some unexplained reason) but not the actual delivery.

Roger

Roger

·
Registered
104 Posts
If you think it is worth:

1.) Having your shipment siezed without recourse
2.) Paying a huge fine
3.) Going to Jail or at least getting a criminal record
4.) Having them tear your car, bags or bum apart evey time you cross the border, as a "known smuggler";

By all means, save $20 in GST my making a false customs declaration. You owe the GST and Duties just like any other tax, and CRA has made tax evasion through Papal and sales tax avoidance through mail sales a major enforcement mandate.

Have fun, and good luck.

That said, never use Fedex

·
Moderator: F72 and F71
8,056 Posts
My policy: I ask the seller to declare actual value, and I never ever buy from US sellers who only use UPS or FedEx. I ask sellers to use USPS or EMS.

This online calculator will help: TheFinalCost

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I would reiterate that fedex/ups are to be avoided at all costs. USPS is remarkably good and despite the dire warnings of the poster above, I've yet to have my life ruined by an 'undervalued' watch. I'm not sure that there is a blue book for watched that the CRA has access to anyways, and let's be honest, they have better things to do than assessing the value of used consumer goods coming into Canada.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
My policy: I ask the seller to declare actual value, and I never ever buy from US sellers who only use UPS or FedEx. I ask sellers to use USPS or EMS.

This online calculator will help: TheFinalCost
Cool link! Cheers. :-!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm not sure that there is a blue book for watched that the CRA has access to anyways, and let's be honest, they have better things to do than assessing the value of used consumer goods coming into Canada.
You may want to think again...

"If you do not declare goods, or if you falsely declare them, the CBSA can seize the goods. This means that you may lose the goods permanently or that you may have to pay a penalty to get them back. Depending on the type of goods and the circumstances involved, the CBSA may impose a penalty that range from 25% to 80% of the value of the seized goods.
If you do not declare tobacco products and alcoholic beverages at the time of importation, the CBSA will seize them permanently.
A record of infractions is kept in the CBSA computer system. If you have an infraction record, you may have to undergo a more detailed examination on future trips. You may also become ineligible for the NEXUS and CANPASS programs."

And...

“Taxpayers should know that the tax laws that apply to traditional commerce apply in the same way to electronic
commerce, like eBay selling,” said Minister Blackburn. “I strongly encourage eBay sellers, and for that matter, any taxpayer who has not already done so, to correct their tax affairs as soon as possible to avoid penalties or prosecution.”
As a result of a Federal Court of Canada decision, eBay Canada has provided the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) with the names of eBay sellers as well as their contact information and sales records.
The CRA can therefore use this information to determine if the eBay sellers properly reported the income they earned from sales made on eBay. If the CRA determines that an individual or a business did not comply with the tax
laws, the CRA will take any necessary action. In addition to paying any outstanding taxes plus interest, consequences may include penalties, as well as legal actions that could result in fines and other imposed sanctions.
“To avoid paying these fines and penalties, taxpayers who have failed to file income tax returns for past years or who have not reported all their income can voluntarily correct their tax situation,” stated Minister Blackburn. In fact, under the Voluntary Disclosures Program (VDP), taxpayers who take the initiative to correct or disclose any
information will not be penalized or prosecuted if they make a full disclosure before the CRA starts any audit or other compliance action. The CRA expects that the audits, based on the information received from eBay, will begin at the end of the summer of 2009. The CRA will then begin contacting eBay sellers to ensure that they have filed all required returns and accurately represented the full scope of their business income. If necessary, it will conduct an in-depth audit to ensure that all taxpayers and businesses pay their taxes.
The CRA will continue to vigorously enforce the provisions of tax laws to ensure that all Canadians pay their taxes, thus ensuring a level playing field for taxpayers who comply with Canada’s tax laws. For more information on the VDP, visit the CRA Web site at www.cra.gc.ca/voluntarydisclosures."

Beware on both sides of the transaction...

·
Registered
997 Posts
I've had a lot of things shipped from the states, with USPS. Mostly good experience, though usually it takes forever to arrive, and I've often got hit with very very high taxes on the more expensive items. Items declared under 100 dollars for me have yet to be taxed for me yet, but I'm not sure what the official threshold is - if any (maybe just luck so far?). I once had to pay 60$ in taxes on a 350$ watch though... ouch!

·
Registered
307 Posts
I ALWAYS use USPS, to avoid brokerage fees. Here's another tip, though I'm not condoning such deceit, it's just a tip. Have it marked "Used watch for repair" Seems to work for me, I mean some people ;-) on a few high dollar items.

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
I always get US purchased items sent via USPS. Canada Post will charge no more than $5.00 for brokerage, and you will likely pay GST and PST if the item costs more than say $20.00 or so.
A reminder that it is against WUS Rules to encourage any sort of illegal activity, so please don't post here about how to avoid legitimate taxes and fees.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just did a deal with a TZ member in Texas. I'm in Ontario. I bought his Speedy Pro. He shipped it to me via FedEx. We confirmed the deal Friday I recieved the watch this afternoon (Wednesday, remember Monday was a holiday). No problems at all. Brokerage fee was $10.50. I agree with avoiding UPS but FedEx was not a problem.

·
Registered
670 Posts
You have to be very careful when using UPS or FedEx. Each company has various options for shipping.

Some of the options include the brokerage fees in the shipping price, and the others don't.

If you are going to use UPS or FedEx....make sure you use the service that includes the brokerage fees or else you will be in for a nasty surprise.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Correct, I think ground there is a brokerage fee, but if you ship by air (which is expensive) there is no brokerage fee...

Double check that though just to be sure!

You have to be very careful when using UPS or FedEx. Each company has various options for shipping.

Some of the options include the brokerage fees in the shipping price, and the others don't.

If you are going to use UPS or FedEx....make sure you use the service that includes the brokerage fees or else you will be in for a nasty surprise.

·
Registered
168 Posts
UPS IS A CROOK I SWEAR!!

you can expect to pay an extremely inconsistent range from under 10 to close to 100% of the item worth.

The best experience I have had is shipped via USPS then handled to Canada Post when it reached the border. It was an omega seamaster for 1100 and I paid 100 for the customs.. not that bad.. trust the usps.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
You need to know UPS and FedEx act as agents for Customs of the country receiving the item - that means the charges are supposed to be based on the law of the law. The key word is supposed. Stay away from any international shipment via UPS - they make up the fees as they see fit. FedEx does make an attempt to play by the rules. USPS is the safest - little or no extra fees on items under $800.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts