WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Because this picture doesn't make it look that way.....

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Good spot...this is from the pictures from VTC, right? Hopefully he or Dave will see this and let us know.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes the first shot is the stock shot, the second shot is the watch that VTC states he just received and posted pictures of in a thread below.

I was considering purchasing one of these but would never buy a tritium watch without a Tritium second hand. I had been considering the 46 mm C-Sar by Marathon, but their second hand is Superluminova, so I was thinking Ball would be superior. I hope they didn't make the change it appears they made, or my Mad Cow may remain my only Ball watch.

·
Registered
17,515 Posts
Remember that the large second hand is for the chronograph only. Neither picture shows the 60 second hand having tritium.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Remember that the large second hand is for the chronograph only. Neither picture shows the 60 second hand having tritium.

Hi Warren,

I'm pretty sure that it's the large chrono seconds hand that Planet Ocean is referring to, since that's the hand that has the tritium tube in the stock photo, but is without one in the photos that both VTC and Dave Berghold have posted. Since I only use my watches to tell basic time, I don't really need any type of seconds hand to have the tritium tube...although I think it's still cool to have.

Since both VTC's and Dave Berghold's Cannonball pics show their chrono seconds hands as not having the tritium tube, I'm gonna go out on a limb:)roll:) and guess that the production Cannonball does not have that tritium tube.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
I would like the large seconds hand to have a tube as in the photo. I also think it would be cool if the hands in the chrono registers could have been coated with superluminova at the very least.

I think a tritium powered chrono, with tritium powered chrono functions would be quite nice. Perhaps the chrono hands could even be made of tritium, like the indices in many of the lines.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Hi again,

I just have to say...that this photo is just absolutely CAPTIVATING me!!! :p

Would you guys agree with me, that the Cannonball Chrono has got to be about the most beautiful and intriguing watch that Ball has yet created?

|> |> WAAAAAAYYYY UP!

P.S.--Not to take anything away from this drop-dead gorgeous piece...but I can't help wondering how the Cannonball would look, if it was offered in an all satin brushed ss finish(including that amazing crown and the pushers)...? I think that, for me, such an option would just send me right over the top!

·
Registered
138 Posts
That's a big disappointment to be honest, if it's the case. Because the VTC Cannonball doesn't even have the signature "RR" on the second hand, which is one of Ball's more outstanding features.

Hopefully VTC just got a prototype or pre-production somehow.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
That's a big disappointment to be honest, if it's the case. Because the VTC Cannonball doesn't even have the signature "RR" on the second hand, which is one of Ball's more outstanding features.

Hopefully VTC just got a prototype or pre-production somehow.
:think:...I didn't even notice that...good catch, Ratven! :-! In fact, I went back and looked at Dave Berghold's wrist pics of his Cannonball, too...and his doesn't have the "RR" signature on the balance end of his chrono seconds hand, either....:-(

I've sent a pm to our Ball reps. When I get a reply, I'll post it, here...or a Ball rep may simply post the answer directly to this thread. ;-)

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sukispop is correct. I mispoke. I meant that the large sweep second hand for the chrono didn't have the tritium tube on it, or the RR.

On my Breitling Super Avenger, the luminous circle is on the large sweep hand for the chrono, and that way you can follow seconds at night should you so choose, which I use a lot.

I also think that the change in this sweep hand brings the watch down a lot.

·
Registered
76 Posts
:think:...I didn't even notice that...good catch, Ratven! :-! In fact, I went back and looked at Dave Berghold's wrist pics of his Cannonball, too...and his doesn't have the "RR" signature on the balance end of his chrono seconds hand, either....:-(

I've sent a pm to our Ball reps. When I get a reply, I'll post it, here...or a Ball rep may simply post the answer directly to this thread. ;-)
Hi Geoff -
That last photo posted here shows a tritium tube on the second hand (blocking the first "L" in the word Ball and the RR appears to conclude the other end of the second hand as well. I'm not sure I understand what the question is here - both elements are fairly visable in these pics.
marc

·
Registered
510 Posts
Hi Marc,

Most of the high quality photos of the Cannonball seen on WUS appear to be pre-delivery versions with the Chrono hand "double R'd and tritium tubed"!

VTC's thread (actual production cannonball) shows the picture here:

Because this picture doesn't make it look that way.....
No tritium tube and no RR. Really this is disappointing for me as well. Looking to add this by next year. For even this "little-est" detail...to some. I think it's huge and possible deal-breaker for me. I hope a later production version corrects this. Takes away from the "dress-aspect" in my opinion. :-(

·
Banned
1,600 Posts
Hi Geoff -
That last photo posted here shows a tritium tube on the second hand (blocking the first "L" in the word Ball and the RR appears to conclude the other end of the second hand as well. I'm not sure I understand what the question is here - both elements are fairly visable in these pics.
marc
That's the stock photo marc... the 'live' photos posted by VTC and Dave Berghold both show an unornamented chrono second hand without the trit tube or the 'RR'... I guess the question is are these mistakes or was there a design change for production?

·
Registered
76 Posts
That's the stock photo marc... the 'live' photos posted by VTC and Dave Berghold both show an unornamented chrono second hand without the trit tube or the 'RR'... I guess the question is are these mistakes or was there a design change for production?

AHH - I see - well then - that is a good question - (I wonder if the second hand was streamlined to be less obstructing to the calendar when the second hand is in the "zero-stop" position).
I'll ask the "folks in the know" tomorrow (I'm only good at historical questions !!!).
marc

·
Registered
138 Posts
Another interesting to note is that if it is indeed the case that the production model does NOT have tritium and the "RR" on the balance, it seems like Ball went out of their way to do this and produce an 'all new' chrono hand, because the preproduction "RR" Tritium hand appears to be the same one offered on other Trainmaster watches, so they couldve lowered production costs by going with the nicer hand rather than deviating and going with an all new design. :-s

Either way, just more speculation while we await an official answer :-!

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
AHH - I see - well then - that is a good question - (I wonder if the second hand was streamlined to be less obstructing to the calendar when the second hand is in the "zero-stop" position).
I'll ask the "folks in the know" tomorrow (I'm only good at historical questions !!!).
marc
Actually the "stock" photo showed nice design detail as the tritium tube on the sweep chrono second hand was below the cut-out for the date, and the section passing over the date was very slim. That plus the RR.
Much nicer design in my opinion. But yes, the question is now phrased much better than I originally put it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
marc

This would be my guess. In their photo, the second hand tritium capsule obviously obstructs the "BALL" logo, if i is pushed a bit higher, it would obstruct the date. Any lower, it would look horrible.
I think the did a great job solving a problem before it happened.

Bottom line, this watch is Fantastic. I haven't taken it off since I got it.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
marc
Hi Marc,

Thanks for responding to my pms, and for dropping "by" to help with our questions! :-! I'm guessing that you're right, Marc...that Ball decided to streamline the hand to assure that "utter clarity, instant legibility" functionality that Ball holds dear to its product. Thanks, ahead of time, for checking with the "folks in the know"! ;-)

And thanks, Guys, for helping Marc by showing him the pics showing the non-tritium tubed, non-"RR"'d large chrono seconds hand! :-!

Sorry for disappearing from the scene for a bit. It's a beautiful, cool, and breezy day, here in Fairfield...and my wife and I just had to go out and enjoy a nice 12 mile ride on our recumbent trikes! Great fun on a gorgeous day, and it gets the blood flowin'! ;-)

·
Registered
965 Posts
Wow, what a HUGE disappointment that will be for me, if the production model was changed to remove the tritium and the "RR" on the balance. I never have liked the position of the calendar on the Cannonball anyway, as it required a cut out of the 12. IMO, the calendar should have been placed between the "Automatic" text and the 6, but I imagine the movement would have to be entirely different to do that.

In any event, if the actual production model has those major changes to the seconds hand, this watch will likely go from the top of my list, to off my list completely. How disappointing.

-Jeff

1 - 20 of 66 Posts