WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've ordered a canon 7D, should arrive in a week. I picked up a Sigma 10-20mm lens and the camera comes with a 28-135mm lens. I also have a non IS 17-55 from my Rebel and I have a prime 50mm 1.8.

Also bought a speedlite 430ex as it can be controlled remotely by the 7D.

Can't wait for it to be here!

·
Registered
700 Posts
congrats... im jealous

im still rockin my 30D and one of these days, i will upgrade to a 7D or something :D

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My current camera is a Rebel, from 2004 ;-) I've not used it for a while it lacks so many features compared to the current ones. I really look forward to the new one. I've ordered all the stuff from a ton of shops.

* Camera from Ebay - Authorized Dealer though (you get a nice receipt for service though) [Canon 7D]
* New tripod from Adorama, $150 one, should have probably bought a carbon fiber one, but I guess I can see this if I find it too heavy. [Vanguard Alta 265AB]
* Camera Flash from Amazon Fresh (came this morning with my shopping ;-) ) [Speedlite 430ex]
* Nice new wide angle lens from B & H [Sigma 10-20mm]
* A 16gb fast compact flash card from New Egg [Transcend TS16GCF400]

Phew... a lot of stuff and I have no idea how long it will take to arrive, lol. Well I have the flash. got to learn how to use it though, never used a separate flash before.

Super excited!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Lucky b******

I want a 7D too....still working with a 40D

You will enjoy the Sigma 10-20 - I have the same lens and it opens up a whole range of possibilities such as these.....

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome pictures. I can't wait for it all. I live up in the Pacific Northwest and there are some amazing locations, lots of mountains here. I moved here just over a year ago and not gone out anywhere around as I didn't want to do it without a camera. So looking forward to the great.

Did you go up that building in Dubai?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Did you go up that building in Dubai?
Tks....no, haven't been to the top of Burj Khalifa yet.....it opened briefly to the public and then closed down indefinitely after there was a problem with the elevators to the observatory. Not sure when it will open next but will be waiting to get in line when it does open.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've shot film and digital EOS series cameras for quite a while. The 7D is a huge step up from my 30D. Here's what I like after a long weekend:

The 100% 1x viewfinder is a nice change, once I stopped compensating as I did with my 30D. Also, the overlay screens, like the grid, is helpful in keeping the horizons and verticals aligned without being obtrusive.

Although there's been a few rumbles about the on/off switch being moved to the top left, once you get used to it, it is easier to use - I like it. The lock for the quick control wheel is in approximately the same place.

The 3" LCD screen is big, bright and beautiful. There's a big difference, even in brightness. Less glare, too - noticeably less. The 7D has a level function which lets you judge if your camera is leaning to one side or tilting forward or back. Anyone who's peered over a bubble mounted on a hot shoe will appreciate this luxury. And the LCD is bright enough to make this feature useful in daylight.

Another nice feature is that the menu structure is changed. There are more tabs, but all the menu items available on that tab are visible at once. No more scrolling off the screen to get to "format" or other functions.

The 7D lets you shoot 3 different sized RAWs in addition to the usual slew of JPEG sizes. I like shooting the highest quality RAW + highest quality JPEG (so you get two files for each picture). These files sizes are HUGE! I found JPEGs to range from 4.73M to 11.1M and CR2 files range from 20.7M to 30.4M. My 8G Sandisk Extreme IV held 237 shots (474 files).

Rather than give you my subjective opinion on picture quality (I am totally satisfied with the quality of the photos), I point you to the best technical reviews of cameras that I know of - dpreview. (Google it and you'll easily find it, I can't post the entire URL). As of now they just have a preview of the 7D. I'll post a few shots from Vermont w/ exposure info.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's awesome. I heard a few people had problems with focus, but from what I understand it is because the focus system has changed so much it is difficult to learn. Either way I'm full amateur, so if I mess up at the beginning then I can always go back out and try again ;-)

I look forward to it. I was hoping it would arrive on friday, but it turns out it's Monday, this is going to be a long weekend. Not to mention I have a new Tag Heuer watch arriving next week also (I hope)!

·
Registered
35,399 Posts
So how do you like the 7D so far? I took a look at it yesterday, too, and it's amazing. Really like the weight and feel of it.

How does it compare to other in the same class. Say, the Canon 50D or the Nikon D90?

:thanks

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So how do you like the 7D so far? I took a look at it yesterday, too, and it's amazing. Really like the weight and feel of it.

How does it compare to other in the same class. Say, the Canon 50D or the Nikon D90?

:thanks
I love it, but need to get out with it. I took a few pictures here http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevierg/sets/72157623580879593/

The weight is a lot heavier than my old Digital Rebel, but the weight is way worth the difference. I love how much control I have over everything.

Some concepts are new to me, such as the different type of metering modes and the billion custom functions.

Auto focus takes a while to understand also. I think once I get out more it should be ok.

In regards to the 50D and D90, I'm not too sure. A friend who has the D90 says my camera feels more advance and compared to the 50D it's a step up. I know I couldn't be happier. :-!

·
Registered
52 Posts
One reason why I bought the 7D instead of the 50D was the new 19-point (all cross-type, BTW) autofocus. I found with my XTi the 9-point system was always hunting around for the right focal point. Since the 50D shares the same system, I thought I'd have the same problem. I also wanted the 8.0 fps to shoot sports. That's a step up from the 6.3 fps of the 50D. Finally, I live in Hawaii and shoot a lot on the beach, so I wanted the weather sealing. It's a step above the 50D, but not quite as good as the 5D MKII from what I read.

·
Registered
35,399 Posts
I love it, but need to get out with it. I took a few pictures here http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevierg/sets/72157623580879593/

The weight is a lot heavier than my old Digital Rebel, but the weight is way worth the difference. I love how much control I have over everything.

Some concepts are new to me, such as the different type of metering modes and the billion custom functions.

Auto focus takes a while to understand also. I think once I get out more it should be ok.

In regards to the 50D and D90, I'm not too sure. A friend who has the D90 says my camera feels more advance and compared to the 50D it's a step up. I know I couldn't be happier. :-!
One reason why I bought the 7D instead of the 50D was the new 19-point (all cross-type, BTW) autofocus. I found with my XTi the 9-point system was always hunting around for the right focal point. Since the 50D shares the same system, I thought I'd have the same problem. I also wanted the 8.0 fps to shoot sports. That's a step up from the 6.3 fps of the 50D. Finally, I live in Hawaii and shoot a lot on the beach, so I wanted the weather sealing. It's a step above the 50D, but not quite as good as the 5D MKII from what I read.

:thanks for the comments, guys. I've been really struggling to find which is the "right" DSLR for me. I've been reading up a lot, and I've seemed to narrow it down to maybe 3-4 models now (Canon 50D, 7D, Nikon D90, or maybe the D300).

From what I've read the auto focus, like you guys mentioned, can act up on you. I'm not really sure what that means yet, but maybe you guys can elaborate?

The Canon 7D, of this bunch, is definitely the most high-end model. The Canon 50D is also arguably superior to the Nikon D90. However, given the lower price-point of the D90, it really gives the 50D a run for the money.

On the other hand, the Canon 50D and the Nikon D300 are probably the closest competitors in the same class. Is that about accurate?

There is also a small chance I'd just go with an entry level 550D/D5000 or something. But my main concern would be that I'd outgrow it within 6 months.

Has anyone been in the same boat as me before? Thoughts/opinions? :thanks

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's not that there are focus issues, it's that there are so many options it's tricky to choose the right one. I think I'm going to put it into single point mode which is what I used to use in the Rebel, the great thing is in the 7D is that there are 19 points unlike the 9 in the other Canon's of a lower caliber.

You won't outgrow the 550D either. I had the Canon 300D and it's still a good camera, there are features that I missed, but 90% of them are on the 550D now.

I think you have two things to look at, Canon vs Nikon and Entry vs Semi Pro.

For my, Canon was an easy choice, I grew up on them, my father had them and when the 300D came out, it was the best option at the time. Now I considered moving to Nikon and even sold one of my expensive lenses, but then canon came out with the 7D and when the 550D came out I decided to pick up a new Canon. I feel like the video options give me some more choices while Nikon is awful with the video in any of the current range.

If you are new to DSLR then you won't have any lenses so choosing between Nikon and Canon is harder. If you want some video options then I say Canon gives it the edge, otherwise you need to try out the cameras and get a feel for the brands before you choose.

Now between entry level and semi pro. Well I was going to buy the 550D, I was so sure of it. I loved the specs, it has everything I needed, the price was perfect, but when I tried it in a shop I just did not like the feel of the camera in my hand. Compared to the 7D, the 550D is a lot smaller, but the 7D has better features like a stronger body & weather sealing. Though to make use of the weather sealing you need expensive lenses.

Something else to consider between the models is that the 7D with an cheap lens will not take crisper pictures than a 550D with an expensive lens. The most important part of the camera is the lens an the money you can save going to the 550D will allow you to buy an L lens. I have three L lenses on my list; $1500, $1100, $900. That is a lot of cash and I won't be able to buy the first one until next year.

Also you need good equipment such as a tripod. Now your 50 quid chain store tripod is no good, you need a really good one. Do some research. The one I have is $150 and I think it may have been a mistake. For a good tripod head and legs it can cost around $700 and that will be more useful to own than the 7D over the 550D.

Ultimately it comes down to cash. If you can afford the good lenses and good tripod and still have money left over then get the 7D, otherwise get the 550D. Remember now, you don't have to go all out and get everything at once. A 550D with the kit lens is pretty sweet.

·
Registered
35,399 Posts
It's not that there are focus issues, it's that there are so many options it's tricky to choose the right one. I think I'm going to put it into single point mode which is what I used to use in the Rebel, the great thing is in the 7D is that there are 19 points unlike the 9 in the other Canon's of a lower caliber.

You won't outgrow the 550D either. I had the Canon 300D and it's still a good camera, there are features that I missed, but 90% of them are on the 550D now.

I think you have two things to look at, Canon vs Nikon and Entry vs Semi Pro.

For my, Canon was an easy choice, I grew up on them, my father had them and when the 300D came out, it was the best option at the time. Now I considered moving to Nikon and even sold one of my expensive lenses, but then canon came out with the 7D and when the 550D came out I decided to pick up a new Canon. I feel like the video options give me some more choices while Nikon is awful with the video in any of the current range.

If you are new to DSLR then you won't have any lenses so choosing between Nikon and Canon is harder. If you want some video options then I say Canon gives it the edge, otherwise you need to try out the cameras and get a feel for the brands before you choose.

Now between entry level and semi pro. Well I was going to buy the 550D, I was so sure of it. I loved the specs, it has everything I needed, the price was perfect, but when I tried it in a shop I just did not like the feel of the camera in my hand. Compared to the 7D, the 550D is a lot smaller, but the 7D has better features like a stronger body & weather sealing. Though to make use of the weather sealing you need expensive lenses.

Something else to consider between the models is that the 7D with an cheap lens will not take crisper pictures than a 550D with an expensive lens. The most important part of the camera is the lens an the money you can save going to the 550D will allow you to buy an L lens. I have three L lenses on my list; $1500, $1100, $900. That is a lot of cash and I won't be able to buy the first one until next year.

Also you need good equipment such as a tripod. Now your 50 quid chain store tripod is no good, you need a really good one. Do some research. The one I have is $150 and I think it may have been a mistake. For a good tripod head and legs it can cost around $700 and that will be more useful to own than the 7D over the 550D.

Ultimately it comes down to cash. If you can afford the good lenses and good tripod and still have money left over then get the 7D, otherwise get the 550D. Remember now, you don't have to go all out and get everything at once. A 550D with the kit lens is pretty sweet.
Thank you for these well thought-out suggestions. I think I am going to mainly target the mid-range (or prosumer) category. And you are right: having no lenses previously from either brand makes it very tough to choose between Canon or Nikon.

I've heard some salespeople say that Canon is better for portraits or if you take lots of pictures of people. It's also good for action pictures (like racecars or sports). Nikon, on the other hand, is a little better for scenery or landscape photos. True or not?

I was also reading some reviews that led me to believe that Nikon was actually not bad for videos, especially with the D90. Is that not true?

I know this is awfully subjective, but of the models I'm considering it seems they could be compared this way (in terms of capability): Canon 550D < Nikon D90 < Canon 50D < Nikon D300 < Canon 7D. Sound about right?

I don't think I'd really consider anything above the 7D (yet). The trick is finding the best one for me in this range. :think:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In regards to videos on the D90, I hear there is lots of issues with fast movement and there are not so many features such as 24fps at 1080p for instance. Also in fairness to both cameras, while the video is outstanding, it requires some good technical photography ability to get the most out of either camera. It's not like a camcorder. Also Canon have a lot more experience with video outside SLR cameras than Nikon does.

It doesn't really make a difference what your subject matter is, there will be little difference between the camera's. The difference comes from the Photography using the camera and the lens on the camera.

The way you compare them is interesting, but not necessarily correct. In terms of features this might be correct, but I don't know a huge amount about the Nikon's. One thing I can say is that the 550D has less features than the 50D, but has a better sensor and some other better features. If you were choosing between the canon's there, you should compare the 550D to the 7D and forget about the 50D I would think. That's not to say the 50D is not a good camera. You might also pickup a good 50D second hand since a lot of users have upgraded to the 7D.

As for the Nikon's, I read one guy who bought a 7D after selling his Nikon D300. He looked at the new D300s which has some video features compared to the D300 and he thought it was old and clunky feeling compared to the 7D.

This is the way I would play it. Figure out what sort of photography you want to take. Decided on the lenses you need. Cost them up, maybe 1 or 2 lenses of good quality. Then see how much cash you have left. 2 good lenses on the 550D will be better than the stock lens on the 7D.

If you can afford a good lens and the 7D then maybe that is the way to go. Have a look at something like the 24-105mm f/4L IS and the 70- 200mm f/4L IS.
Alternative to the 24-105 you could get the 24-70mm f/2.8L USM which has a bigger aperture but no IS.

If you are taking pictures of your watches in close detail a 60mm macro lens from canon would be great.

If you want some big landscape photos you can either stitch them together or use something like the EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, or get what I just purchased the Sigma 10-20mm lens; which I have to try out still outside :)

Choosing those lenses would make more of a difference than the 550D and the 7D.

Of course there is nothing wrong with the 550D and it's kit lens either. It really is in the skill of the photographer. I'm thinking of attending classes to learn new concepts, but good photography is a lot harder than good equipment.

·
Registered
35,399 Posts
In regards to videos on the D90, I hear there is lots of issues with fast movement and there are not so many features such as 24fps at 1080p for instance. Also in fairness to both cameras, while the video is outstanding, it requires some good technical photography ability to get the most out of either camera. It's not like a camcorder. Also Canon have a lot more experience with video outside SLR cameras than Nikon does.

It doesn't really make a difference what your subject matter is, there will be little difference between the camera's. The difference comes from the Photography using the camera and the lens on the camera.

The way you compare them is interesting, but not necessarily correct. In terms of features this might be correct, but I don't know a huge amount about the Nikon's. One thing I can say is that the 550D has less features than the 50D, but has a better sensor and some other better features. If you were choosing between the canon's there, you should compare the 550D to the 7D and forget about the 50D I would think. That's not to say the 50D is not a good camera. You might also pickup a good 50D second hand since a lot of users have upgraded to the 7D.

As for the Nikon's, I read one guy who bought a 7D after selling his Nikon D300. He looked at the new D300s which has some video features compared to the D300 and he thought it was old and clunky feeling compared to the 7D.

This is the way I would play it. Figure out what sort of photography you want to take. Decided on the lenses you need. Cost them up, maybe 1 or 2 lenses of good quality. Then see how much cash you have left. 2 good lenses on the 550D will be better than the stock lens on the 7D.

If you can afford a good lens and the 7D then maybe that is the way to go. Have a look at something like the 24-105mm f/4L IS and the 70- 200mm f/4L IS.
Alternative to the 24-105 you could get the 24-70mm f/2.8L USM which has a bigger aperture but no IS.

If you are taking pictures of your watches in close detail a 60mm macro lens from canon would be great.

If you want some big landscape photos you can either stitch them together or use something like the EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, or get what I just purchased the Sigma 10-20mm lens; which I have to try out still outside :)

Choosing those lenses would make more of a difference than the 550D and the 7D.

Of course there is nothing wrong with the 550D and it's kit lens either. It really is in the skill of the photographer. I'm thinking of attending classes to learn new concepts, but good photography is a lot harder than good equipment.
I agree with pretty much everything you said, especially that last part!

On the Canons, I just thought that the 550D was a natural progression from the 500D. While the 550D might have new features, my understanding was that the 50D platform ranked higher in the Canon hierarchy - is that true?

I haven't really figured out what I'll be taking pictures of mostly. But you can be sure that watches will be part of it! Haven't thought too much about lenses yet, either. Actually I was thinking about just going with the standard kit lens for a while first and seeing where it goes from there.

While I'm a big fan of Canons, I also get the feeling that Nikons tend to give you more for the same money. I really don't know DSLRs that much yet, and I may be just comparing price and specs.

·
Registered
176 Posts
How's Canon better for people photography than Nikon? or vice versa? I've not heard that before.

Here's my take on it...

Which camera? Depending on the purpose, your skills and your budget.

If your skills are not on a certain level, makes no difference. You will end up with mediocre images with either of the cameras you listed. What is even less important in this case is the brand of the camera.

If you have skills but are not going to use the camera in severe weather conditions, won't be shooting sports where you will need 8 frames per second, then there is very little reason to get 7D over 550D, in my opinion, other than for the fact that it is of course a better built body(but also much bigger and heavier) with weather sealing and more features than you will need and use. Trust me, I would love a 7D, but I personally don't think my skills would allow me to produce any better images than I do now with my 500D/T1i.

Ravage makes an excellent point in his last reply about lenses. I agree 100%. You slap some good L glass on a 500D or 550D and it will blow away 7D with a lesser lens. That is true.

In the hands of a skilled photographer, and I'm talking not only skills to photograph but in image post-processing as well which is sometimes not any less important, even a half decent point and shoot will result in him/her producing excellent images.

I know I'm still learning and I have not outgrown my T1i yet. I'm having a blast learning with it though, it's lots of fun. The camera produces outstanding image quality.

Read books on photography. There is a series of books on digital photography and post processing by Scott Kelby, who writes very good and his books are straight to the point, easy to understand and contain tons of explanations and recommendations.

Learn photoshop. Shoot in RAW, use Canon's DPP, or the software that came with your brand camera, to play with raw files, convert them to TIFF, JPEG, play around with the images in photoshop and see what you can do. Go out and take some pictures, try different settings, come back and process your images in Photoshop. Understand your camera. It's all about fun.

Alright now. the rant is over...

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
On the Canons, I just thought that the 550D was a natural progression from the 500D. While the 550D might have new features, my understanding was that the 50D platform ranked higher in the Canon hierarchy - is that true?

So the Canon models go like this:

xxxD
xxD
xD

The less numbers the better. Then there are categories within.

So for the xxxD models, the 300D was the first and the latest is the 550D. The 550D is a replacement for the 500D.

With the xxD, it's the same, the 20D replaced the 10D and the 50D replaced the 40D which replaced the 30 and the 20.

xD makes a change though, you have the 1D then the 5D then the 7D. The 1D being the best, but you have the Mark 1, 2, 3 & 4 of the 1D, each one replacing the previous version. For instance the 5D Mark II is probably better than the 1D Mark II.

The 7D also makes a change as the 1D and 5D are full frame sensors, while the 7D is a cropped 1.6 frame sensor.

If I was you, I would buy the 550D with Kit Lens and pick up the 70-200mm F4 lens. Get the IS version of the 70-200 if you could afford it. This gives you 18mm to 200mm coverage which will suit a lot of shooting.
If you are wanting to shoot stuff up close, you will need a macro lens and the EFs 60mm lens from canon is a good one for the 550D and 7D.

An alternative to audphile1's comment about Photoshop is to get Adobe Lightroom which probably processes pictures a little better than Photoshop, but you can't do edits like removing a tree from the picture. Lightroom is also about $250 while Photoshop is $600 or so.

My personal choice is Canon, I know them well and they have let me down yet. I have friends with Nikon and I'm not jealous of them, they don't have anything I don't have. Also Nikon owners like to tell Canon owners that they are Nikon owners, while Canon owners just get on with life. I don't know some different mentality with them ;-)

Either way you will be happy with what you buy, you would have to go out your way to make any mistakes.

Oh one last thing, if you get a camera, buy a big flash, for a Canon get a Speedlite 430ex II, I wish I picked up one years ago. The 7D can remote trigger the flash, or you could buy a remote trigger for the 550D at little extra.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts