WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Banned
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok... So I've been lusting after an MM300 ever since I bought my SKX007 awhile ago. The MM300 just oozes awesome. I've never had the pleasure of seeing one first hand. I decided one day buy the Sumo, because it's the closest thing I can afford to the MM300 and it's a step up in quality from the 007. I bought a blue one, and I do love it. The Sumo is an excellent watch, but after a a month or so, it's just not satisfying my craving for an MM300 (Don't get me wrong, I LOOOVVVE my Sumo, for what it is. It's NOT an MM300). It just can't fill the void. But I just cannot afford an MM300. I've consider going the PMMM route. However, one thing I like most about the MM300 is the case. The SKX's crown guards kill the MM look.

I've considered buying a second Sumo and putting and MM dial, hands, bezel insert, and ratchet clasp, on it to try and fill the void. But even so, the bezel shroud on the Sumo takes away from it. And the other thing that has slightly less importance, but does matter is, the 8L35 movement. By the time I paid for the watch (Sumo), MM300 parts and the labor/service, I may as well just buy a second hand MM300.

My absolute limit would be $1500. I'd be hard pressed to find one that cheap anyway. Even that's REALLY pushing it. And even then, could I afford the service on the 8L35 movement? I've heard that the MM300 HAS to be sent to Japan for service or repairs.

Realistically, I'm considering a second Sumo, black this time, with the more classic style bezel insert, and MM300 clasp (forget the dial and hands as I mentioned earlier). I just feel like it will once again be a failed attempt at trying to make up for the fact that I don't have, and likely never will have, an MM300.

On a slightly related note, I have considered buying a secondhand Omega Seamaster Quartz. However, despite my non-issue with quartz, as I do have an enjoy quartz watches, I don't want a quartz Omega.

What's a guy to do? I'm not really sure what I'm asking here. Not really so much advice. Just kind of complaining really, :D

The insert, and comparison with original for reference. This picture was sourced from Google.

·
Registered
7,598 Posts
You could get an SKX and try to have a metal worker file down the crown guards... it's been done before. Don't have the pic of it but I'm sure someone's got it somewhere.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
I hear you, man, but my only advice is to work hard and save towards your ultimate goal. BTW - seeing the Sumos with different the two bezel inserts made me think if I get a Sumo I want the original insert as without it it loses some of its Sumo-ness, i.e. oversized all over quality. Originally I thought I would want to swap the bezel insert right away for the more traditional one Yobokies sells.

Also, I have a PMMM from Yobokies with a nice sapphire and Murphy coin-edge bezel and it's pretty darn satisfying in its own right without the servicing commitment your mentioned.

·
Banned
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You could get an SKX and try to have a metal worker file down the crown guards... it's been done before. Don't have the pic of it but I'm sure someone's got it somewhere.
Interesting! After I read your post, I looked into it and found many results! However...., while I'm quite confident I could do this myself, and make it look decent. I have little watch making experience. I work on cars for a living. Have experience with files, dremel's/grinding, machining, removing and rebuilding engines and transmissions. But the most I've done to a watch was pulled off a case back and removed the movement/dial/hands as one unit, nothing more. I'm guessing I'd have to remove the crystal which I don't have the tools or experience. And I'd like a pressure test once reassembled.

It's a very good idea, and one I'll consider. Still.... it's just not an MM300 :D

·
Registered
992 Posts
I set up sub account in my savings today for a Grand Seiko. It will probably take me 5 years to get there. Kids college, retirement savings, family vacations, payimg off the mortgage all come first! I would suggest start saving and enjoy the ones you have for now.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy S2

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
I would enjoy the Sumo and save up for the MM300. As much as I have wanted to dive into the PMMM for the last 2 years, I have always opted for putting that money spent towards the real thing. I have had the pleasure to handle one and in my opinion there is no substitute. I am on the 2 year mark waiting on my MM300 and I know it will be worth the wait.

·
Registered
315 Posts
went down the same road last year :)

Save your money and get the MM300....
Sumo and PMMM are nice, BUT they are not MM300

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
I saw pix from this forum that I think is the best 007 modded with MM's dial, hands and a brand new crown as well..

No doubt that it looks fantastic and would be a fun project, but I wonder what was spent for a project like this? My guess is easily 700 dollars and at that price thats a huge chunk of change that can be put towards the real thing.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
...cost of a new 007=$200, after market hands=$30, original dial=$80, sapphire=$40, oyster bracelet=$40, might be crown at $20...so the total will add up to...

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
...cost of a new 007=$200, after market hands=$30, original dial=$80, sapphire=$40, oyster bracelet=$40, might be crown at $20...so the total will add up to...

Did my own math minus labor and shipping and it added up to 500.

007 $200
original MM hands and dial is 130 euro minus shipping. $167
super oyster 2 is $90 minus shipping
sapphire $40
crown? No clue what crown was used also im not aure if if the 007 chapter ring was used or modified.

and option 2 which im thinking of making for my son.

171 $200
007 bezel $9
super oyster $60

Labor FREE cause i can do it all myself. Shipping is also free cause all are available in my area.

total $269

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Know exactly what you're saying, I'm on a similar mm300 journey myself. If you can save for a Sumo, you can save for a mm300, just takes longer!
Sorry to anyone with pmmm's, but I just cannot see the point of adding money to a watch to make it a facsimile of the real thing, which it never will be.
I've recently sold my 007, spork, and Sumo toward a mm300, which has raised about £900 of the £1440 for a new mm. The rest I have raised selling clothes I no longer wear, tools I no longer use etc etc. I will be ready to pull the trigger this month. It has been a long wait and a lot of work, but it will be worth it, and satisfying.
As for used mm's, the only ones I can ever find are within £200 or less of the new price and have dings and scratches. So it will be new for me, unless a minter comes up soon for £1200 or less.
Keep saving, keep the faith, and if I can do it, you can too.

·
Banned
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I could sell a few watches and make up for a good chunk of the MM300's cost new. However, the watches I'm willing to give up aren't worth much. My 007 is a keeper for sure. Not sure I could ever sell my 007.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I could sell a few watches and make up for a good chunk of the MM300's cost new. However, the watches I'm willing to give up aren't worth much. My 007 is a keeper for sure. Not sure I could ever sell my 007.
The Spork and Sumo were pretty easy to give up. The 007 went with a bit of a sigh, but I have an 009 and an 011, so couldn't really see when I would wear the 007 if I had an mm300.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I never handled a MM300, but it is a fantastic watch. I have a black Sumo and really like it.

I went through a similar situation about 3 years ago and sold off a bunch of watches to fund a purchase of a 2254.50. I did it and have not looked back.

I finally got a PMMM and it came last night. I know it is not a MM300, but I got the higher end dive watch that I wanted.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
The closest you can get is to add the MM300 dial and hands and Yobokies small font bezel insert to the black Sumo. And add the MM300 clasp to finish it off.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Man, I am on the same situation as you. I really want a MM300 as well, but at $2k+ and for a watch I have never seen in person, it is just something I can't do right now financially. I even sold my Oris TT1 and Tag Aquaracer Wab2010 to kick off my MM300 fund. Of course that did not work out since I am a complete sucker for Seiko Diver watches and came across a Sumo locally that I just had to buy. I also picked up three SKX's so I am back to square one. I do not want to modify any of my Seikos to mimic a MM because I know it will never be a MM. I will save up for a real Marine master.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Don't buy a 2nd Sumo. Don't mod a Sumo or another one to make it more look like an MM300 - you'll always have the nagging feeling of being a wannabe, it almost feels like a (bad) fake.
No, if you want it then do not spend money now and just save. It will take time but eventually you'll have the real thing without nagging feelings.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I have both and for what it's worth I wear the sumo more often. Don't get me wrong, the mm300 is amazing and it justifies its price increase but the sumo is more versatile. I am Also less concerned about dinging it up.

Reactions: tissotgirl
1 - 20 of 50 Posts