WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
Hamilton Khaki Field Automatic
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get a new Ginault Ocean Rover 2. However, I can't seem to decide if I should get the date (with cyclops) or no-date version.

Initially I disliked the cyclops but after watching a lot of Rolex Submariner/Datejust pictures on Instagram and videos on Youtube, I don't find it an eyesore anymore. To make matters worse, I have never seen a cyclops in real life, so I don't know it will look in real. In some pictures though, the cyclops adds some pop to the watch which I think is not a bad thing.

As for the no-date version, my main motivation for wanting it is the clean symmetry of the dial. Also with watches that have a power-reserve on the lower side (i.e ~40 hours), I find that the watches die on me fairly regularly. So not having a date saves me the trouble of setting date frequently. I had a similar dilemma with a date at 3 vs 6 o'clock, and the reasons I got from different people about preferring 3 or 6 o'clock really helped me make a decision.

So help me out folks, share your opinions/preferences for preferring one over the other 😄

·
Registered
691 Posts
I always choose a no date version if available for all the reasons you mentioned

·
Registered
967 Posts
I’m a “date” guy who will take that model over the no-date anytime. I understand your reasoning, and those reasons sway many people, but the date adds convenience that is worth the dial asymmetry for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
362 Posts
No date.
If it were me, based on my past I'd skip the date if only option is with a cyclops. Had one watch with date and cyclops, I ended up replacing the crystal w/o a cyclops mainly due to the distortion at various angles. Straight on downward view the cyclops was great but anything else annoyed me so it was like why even have a date.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I don't mind date complications on watches but I don't like date windows with cyclops.
Also, dive watches look OK without a date.
Either way, definitely get that blue bezel with the black dial, that looks amazing!

·
Registered
929 Posts
No date for me. I just need the date occasionally.

I remember, as a kid, seeing “old” men with watches and cyclops on them. Since then, I have always linked cyclops to old men and, so, I dislike them. Just my experience.

Furthermore, I love the symmetry of a no date and wear the watches on mu right wrist, which would force me to pull the whole watch in order to see the date.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
I say anything as long as it's a no date.

·
Registered
296 Posts
It's a cleaner look without that bulging cyclops, for sure, and those things are scratch magnets. But they are so practical!

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
A Date window on a dive watch is like a cold sore on Marilyn Monroe's lip - PASS!

Reactions: dirtvictim

·
Premium Member
36,431 Posts
No date anytime will always be my vote.

·
Premium Member
1,869 Posts
To me, it is a matter of need, memory and eyesight. I prefer the date window and the cyclops when available.

On a daily basis, whether as a classroom teacher or moreso as a school administrator, I had to sign, time and date 100 or more; passes, discipline referrals, outcomes of those referrals, progress reports, deliveries, suspension docs, psych reports, manifestation and 504 hearings, etc. I had too much on my mind to remember the date until halfway through my day.

I've worn bifocals for years, but the cyclops was still helpful when glancing at my wrist while holding an armload of essays, research papers or CSE reports, etc.

So, if you have no need to constantly sign off on things, if you have a great short-term memory, then you probably don't need the date, let alone a cyclops.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I look at my watch to know the date (usually for signing things at work) so date is a must for me. If it weren't for that, I would prefer the cleaner look of no date.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 2 cents is .. well on a Rolex Sub wouldn't mind the cyclops (bcuz of my opinion below). On an Omega Seamaster like the date window @ 6pm.. For me, I'm not a fan of cyclops (seems something of the past/vintage) and irrelevant to the date window but Only if date wheel color matches or plays along with the contrasting colors of the dial. At the end it's whatever You like.. makes you happy in buying and wearing it ! Oh lol .. Like the Blue bezel black dial

1 - 20 of 51 Posts