WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep flip flopping between these - classic look of Hesalite, or scratch resisted sapphire with that awesome see-through case back.

I cannot decide. :-/

Lil' help? Maybe someone here has owned both.

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
If your going to have only ONE. Hesalite. Its the one that went to the moon...what's the point of the others. ALSO the Sapphire Sandwich is thicker and not as comfortable in my mind...and I've owned it. Finally if you believe the "internets" and the "googles" they are discontinuing the Hesalite...

Warm, vintage, classic...just buy a tube of poywatch which is SIMPLE to use...and enjoy.

I gotta go I'm going to pick up 4 more Hesalite Speedies...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If your going to have only ONE. Hesalite. Its the one that went to the moon...what's the point of the others. ALSO the Sapphire Sandwich is thicker and not as comfortable in my mind...and I've owned it. Finally if you believe the "internets" and the "googles" they are discontinuing the Hesalite...

Warm, vintage, classic...just buy a tube of poywatch which is SIMPLE to use...and enjoy.

View attachment 15502943
View attachment 15502949
That was very helpful. Thank you. . I was leaning towards Hesalite, but saw a video of that clear caseback.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I keep flip flopping between these - classic look of Hesalite, or scratch resisted sapphire with that awesome see-through case back.

I cannot decide. :-/

Lil' help? Maybe someone here has owned both.
I’m sure you have already gone through the dozens of threads on this topic. There really is no good answer. There is only what suits your lifestyle best. To be sure, there are hundreds of diehard members here who will tell you that choosing anything but Hesalite is a blasphemous choice. They will tell you that the Hesalite version is the only true speedmaster. They will go on and on about the warmth of Hesalite, and how the sapphire’s infamous milky ring is repugnant to any right thinking speedy owner. On the other side, the Sapphire sandwich crowd will tell you that you will spend your entire Speedmaster ownership polishing out scratch marks because the Hesalite version scratches even if you just look at it. They will say that unless you plan on blasting off to the moon in the near future, the sapphire version is much more suited for today’s active owner. This back-and-forth can’t go on forever! The fact is, whatever version you select will provide you with a beautiful, classic watch and years of happy ownership. Enjoy whatever Speedmaster you select!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Hesalite. Difficult to tell in pictures but it adds a warmth (overused, I know) and an almost sort of comfort to the dial as opposed to the aggressive clarity of sapphire.

·
Registered
256 Posts
You can't go wrong with either. Analysis paralysis. Just pick up the next speedy that speaks to you, and enjoy. After that... the next question will be which limited or Apollo edition to add to the mix ;)

·
Registered
218 Posts
You can't go wrong with either. Analysis paralysis. Just pick up the next speedy that speaks to you, and enjoy. After that... the next question will be which limited or Apollo edition to add to the mix ;)
+1

Oh no! Not the Speedy LE rabbit hole! Soon to be followed by should I get a pre moon? Maybe the OP should just forget the whole thing before the kids’ college fund is history! 😂

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Get the hesalite and then buy an aftermarket display caseback (while keeping the original caseback for posterity of course).

·
Registered
784 Posts
One thing about the hesalite version that I think is pretty cool is the Omega etched into it.

·
Registered
966 Posts

View attachment 15502943
View attachment 15502949
I also vote for hesalite, but I have to correct you there. The sapphire sandwich is actually about a millimeter thinner than the hesalite because the sapphire has a lower profile compared to the vintage bubble of the hesalite.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hesalite. The whole point of having the “Moon watch” is to get as close to original specs as possible.

·
Registered
150 Posts
That was very helpful. Thank you. . I was leaning towards Hesalite, but saw a video of that clear caseback.
Can't believe nobody has mentioned the 3752.50 "hesalite sandwich", hesalite crystal with a sapphire caseback. Mine (although I wear it on a strap, you can't clearly see the caseback otherwise):

Best of both worlds :cool: Hesalite is the way to go.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I personally love the look of a clear crystal floating above the dial like the box sapphires that Omega and Tudor uses.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Sapphire for me. (y)

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
Can't believe nobody has mentioned the 3752.50 "hesalite sandwich", hesalite crystal with a sapphire caseback .... Best of both worlds :cool: Hesalite is the way to go.
You beat me to it. If you (@ThomasArc) are looking for a pre-loved Speedmaster, then 3572.50 is what you should be searching for:

Needless to mention, but do it anyways, just to make sure: that's not the standard dial on my 3572.50 - Mitsukoshi conversion was done later in the life of this watch - I couldn't bring myself doing that to my (first) Speedmaster which I got 7584 days ago after dreaming of owning one for almost 30 years.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I put a see-through case back on my hesalite. It’s not decorated as the sapphire one but it scratches the itch.
I got the case back from Omega boutique

1 - 20 of 26 Posts