WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
I think that if you really want to have a see-through case back the way to go is either the discontinued 3572.50 hesalite/sapphire sandwich as others have pointed out or the current sapphire sandwich. Getting an aftermarket case back for a regular hesalite Speedy makes little sense to me. The movement isn’t as nicely decorated and you lose that beautiful original case back with the writing and the hippocampus. If the idea behind hesalite is to get as close as possible to the original Moonwatch then the aftermarket case back nixes that.

·
Registered
150 Posts
You beat me to it. If you (@ThomasArc) are looking for a pre-loved Speedmaster, then 3572.50 is what you should be searching for:
View attachment 15503992
Needless to mention, but do it anyways, just to make sure: that's not the standard dial on my 3572.50 - Mitsukoshi conversion was done later in the life of this watch - I couldn't bring myself doing that to my (first) Speedmaster which I got 7584 days ago after dreaming of owning one for almost 30 years.
Love that panda dial, such a clean & simple look but visually striking.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Hesalite! 100% Granted I’m careful, but here’s mine after four years...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wow where did you get that strap from!?

·
Registered
730 Posts
I personally saw the sapphire version and own the hesalite version. Besides the price difference, I think the 'Milky band' is not as bad as people claim it is. However, I don't think the sapphire is worth the extra 800 euro's. The caseback is nice, but you will be wearing your watch mostly on the wrist so no way to look at it then haha :). And, the hesalite is more true to the original.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
The reason I chose Hesalite back in 2003 or so was I wanted to get something close to the original watches used by most astronauts in the early space program. There were fewer choices then and I was looking for a used watch as well. I've seen the sapphire sandwich and it's a really cool version of the Speedmaster. The bottom line question between sapphire and Hesalite is two-fold - A) do you want a watch as close to the EVA approved watches that NASA certified and B) are you willing to spend a little time maintaining the crystal? BTW, I've never bought a tube of Polywatch in my life; I use Pepsodent toothpaste and a moist cotton ball. Very little toothpaste is required and it takes a bit of patience but my crystal is original to the watch and looks about new. Whenever I get a scuff, a couple minutes buffs it out. My watch is, IIRC, from 2002 (I'd have to dig out the sales receipt from the fellow I bought it from) and never had a full service (I had it regulated once by my local watchmaker a couple years back). A couple years ago, I decided to try a high quality alligator strap, a Hirsch Viscount, which I now prefer on this watch. Here it is in mid-2018:

21 - 26 of 26 Posts