Votes: 6 15.8%
  • FC Moonphase Classic

Votes: 3 7.9%
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finishing a PhD in computer science and getting a new job soon and want to celebrate in the next few months by buying a watch.

I currently own three chinese automatics (perpetual moon, perpetual power reserve, seg-gull/rodina) and a Korean Tissel Flieger.

I have small wrists (6.75) and decided against the longines legend diver, which I was also considering at one point.

I am torn between the really nice tudor black bay blue diver (I would mostly wear on the perlon that comes with or a leather strap) and the two new FC watches. All great in their own way.

tRP5wiz.jpg

Everyone knows the tudor. Sharp looking watch, sporty and good at the office. Casual and business, versatile watch, with a relatively easy to service movement. Good watch from a good brand.
Down sides are, could be a bit shorter in case height, no date (this is good and bad), expensive for a 2824 movement watch.

SwTLqhQ.jpg
New 38.8 Slim Moon Phase
I haven't tried this on yet but looks pretty nice from the pics I have seen and from hands on experience with the 42 mm released last year. I like the shorter case height at 11mm, the in house movement on this is pretty nice to look at, great size at 38.8 (again small wrists). Clean, classic dial. Downsides are that it might be too dressy for casual wear and has no lume.

oDuJz6u.jpg
FC Moonphase Classic

Actual shot of watch on my wrist. Very nice, patek hommage watch. Same +'s as the above watch except for the larger case size (40.5 mm). The addition of the seconds hand is nice. Case is a bit tall but manageable under a cuff (12 ish mm). Hunter / hinged case back is nice. More casual than the watch above but still pretty dressy, in between the two other watches.

I go back and forth on these three watches. The FC watches offer a lot of bang for the buck however, for around the same price I can get a used Tudor. These FC watches are much less common than the blackbay. The tudor will hold its value (esp if I buy used) while I will take a hit if I was to ever sell the FC watches.

Main points for each:
BB - versatile respectable watch
FC 38.8 - best sized for me and clean dial
FC Classic - classic style, patek'esq, a little less dressy

All opinions and thoughts welcome :)

·
Registered
12,433 Posts
The Tudor Heritage Black Bay is a stunning watch that is very versatile. It is very different to the 2 Frederique Constant watches. Of the 2 FC watches, I prefer the appearance of the Classic model. It looks very well proportioned to your wrist size. It depends on what type of Watch you are after.

·
Registered
8,369 Posts
Congrats, I will be in your shoes next year. All of your choices are very nice, nothing to go wrong there - I would probably start with a nice sporty watch rather than a nice dressy watch (add that later) so my vote is for the Black Bay. If you still want a Tudor in a more dressy style, consider a Tudor Advisor.
My personal grail is the Milgauss - the scientist's watch ;)

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
I prefer the FC stylistically, but you might also have a look at Nomos... Perfect look for a burgeoning doctor...

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I think if I am at ur place, I'll get the one with most comfortable fit. So not sure which one is that....

sent from moto x

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I'm partial to the BB but you should go with the best sized watch for you.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Excluding your Chinese and Korean watches, this will be your sole luxury watch at the moment.
I'll go with the BB for versatility.

Reactions: wookieebender

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
You present two very dressy watches (BTW, not Pateky, rather JLC-ish, the FCs being a copycat of the JLC Moon Ultra Thin 39), and one sporty watch.

Which style will you wear more, of which style have you more need? I suspect the Black Bay will probably be far more versatile than a dressy FC, but you know where you take your wrist; I don't.

I am glad to learn that the FC moon phase is now available in something smaller than the 43mm it was initially. Wrists vary, watch size is a bit personal. My wrist at present is under 6 3/4. But I wear a 40mm dress watch, a 42mm sport watch, and neither look large at all. I have wrist-auditioned the JLC at 39 mm, and find it perfect, but I would miss a second hand, and would probably choose the larger of the two, if I were to go with the dressier option.

For me, based on versatility, serviceability, originality of style (the FC is a blatant copycat), ruggedness, and possibly most important -- that it would get worn far more frequently, I'd go Tudor on this one.

·
Banned
5,307 Posts
For me, based on versatility, serviceability, originality of style (the FC is a blatant copycat), ruggedness, and possibly most important -- that it would get worn far more frequently, I'd go Tudor on this one.
I don't know... mine seems more original than others:

FC.jpg

Reactions: dantan

·
Registered
315 Posts
Tudor BB first. Then add the FC mp slim later. They are both very sharp. Great choices!

·
Registered
239 Posts
I agree with mpalmer...Although not on your list, you might take aloof at the Nomos line...Many fine choices in the 36-38mm range. I like the Club Automatik Datum, but then you're up to 41mm, right there with the Tudor BB. Stick with the hand winding models and your at 36 or 38mm.

-Mark in St. Louis

I prefer the FC stylistically, but you might also have a look at Nomos... Perfect look for a burgeoning doctor...

·
Registered
5,751 Posts
BBB hands down, looks good on your wrist. Can easily get a preowned one in great shape for a substantial amount less!
Good luck.

Sent from my SM-N915F using Tapatalk

Reactions: wookieebender

·
Premium Member
71,229 Posts
The BB for me. Not only is it a blue BB but it's blue (that may be why it's called the blue BB) but it's also a dive watch. Wrist heaven as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I voted for the slim Fredrique Constant.

I really like how the blackbay looks, but after seeing it in person, imo it's not worth the price given the finish and movement.

FC watches have the unique movement going for it, as well as a good finish and classic.

Not to say that the Blackbay isn't well made and classic looking though.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts