WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15,942 Posts
If only one, the non but agree the best solution is to have both of 'em . . .

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
I want to say the one on the right, but something about the red marker is pulling my eye away from the dial and making the bezel look disproportionately large. Not sure if that makes sense, but I'd go for the one on the left.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
The one on the left. Lume should light your way all night!

Opinion based on pic's. Would be nice if you could try them on first

That not being the case, search high & low for live wrist shots to get your best idea of what suits your tastes more.

Do a web search for "Steinhart Ocean One Vintage Reviews". There's 2 YouTube video watch reviews pretty early in the search.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Neither, get an original watch....

JK JK.

I like the one on the LEFT better. The style is a bit more versatile IMO...... but I'm a noob so take that for what it's worth.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Unless you are buying those exact watches in the picture, be warned that the new Ocean Vintage Military dial has been changed. It is now the same grey/brown/black as the Ocean One Vintage, and it has the text "Ocean One" in big ugly modern font underneath the hands.

I was considering both of those but ended up going with the Squale 20 Atmos classic because I wanted a dial that was actually black. I think the Ocean One Vintage is more unique, but after spending a lot of time looking at it, it just isn't something that I would want to wear every day. Vintage is cool, but I would rather get an actual vintage omega for the money. I also thought the 44mm size would be weird with the vintage look.

Just my thoughts. Check out Squale if you haven't already. I bought from gnomon watches (first time ever buying anything from Singapore...) and it came in 2 days.

Mine:

image.jpg

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have an OVM, but at the time, I liked the look of a 5517 more than the 6536.

As posted above, start looking for them used, and pick up both.
- You might only save USD$ 100.00 on each used, but that is a good start to purchasing the 2nd one.

I have been finding myself drawn to the Explorer I look, which meshes with the Ocean One vintage watch. Tastes can change over time.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Military. I don't like the plain bezel on the regular vintage. Plus it looks less like its "trying" to be vintage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
I have the Ocean One Vintage and have to warn you that it wears larger than the other Ocean One watches.
I like both, but ended with the Ocean One Vintage and Ocean One Vintage Red. The Vintage Red because of the date which the Ocean Vintage doesn't have.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thanks, I decided to purchase both so I could see in person which one I like the best. I figure it will probably be fairly easy to resell the one I don't prefer. I am a little disappointed they changed the dial on the Military but it seems most people are liking it so we'll see.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I have both. I would say get the OVM. I got the OVM first, then talked myself into getting the O1V as well. The OVM is a beauty but the One Vintage leaves me cold in the flesh. Domed crystal is cool but I don't like the hands, the face is just too big and plain and the looks too obviously faux vintage. Just my view but I wish I had saved my money.

I would also try to get an OVM mk1 if you can as the black dial is part of what works for me.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I started with the new OvM. It's a good watch very accurate but sometimes it feels like a forced vintage. Hard to explain. Now I really like more the non military one.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
I also thought the 44mm size would be weird with the vintage look.
Both Steinhart watches pictured are 42mm. The military is 49mm lug to lug, and the Vintage 51mm. I have the Vintage (used from ebay) coming in the mail. I love the 3,6,9 dial and the Mercedes hour hand. The Vintage is sorta the progeny of the Rolex 1016 and the 1680 imo. The Military might as well be a Seiko (unless you like it of course).

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Both Steinhart watches pictured are 42mm. The military is 49mm lug to lug, and the Vintage 51mm. I have the Vintage (used from ebay) coming in the mail. I love the 3,6,9 dial and the Mercedes hour hand. The Vintage is sorta the progeny of the Rolex 1016 and the 1680 imo. The Military might as well be a Seiko (unless you like it of course).
Yes, both are listed as 42mm watches, but because of the bigger dial opening on the O1V it wears bigger.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Whichever you like more. 5517 vs 6200. Both have history, both are a homage to highly regarded collectible watches. One is a military watch (a bit more casual) the other one is a little bit more elegant. Sword vs mercedes hands. The OOV has fifty fathoms style lugs.
Originally I wanted to buy the OVM then I stumbled across the OOV and instantly fell in love with it.
Both of them are homages to watches which have been out of production for decades and impossibly hard to get in original (and excellent) condition which justifies the homage thing for me. Also only true watch enthusiasts will recognize the model so no worries about people wondering about your income etc...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts