WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Negative displays have a TON of defenders here @E56789, but personally I'm with you 110%. Casio Photoshops their stock negative display images harder than a Kardashian in a fashion magazine! Honestly I'm a little surprised they haven't been the target of a class action lawsuit yet for their truly dishonest marketing of their negative display legibility.

Negative display legibility has been discussed here a million times, and somehow the question always seems to get twisted from an OP like you saying "Casio's negative displays aren't very functional IMHO" to negative display defenders saying "Casio's negative displays are awesome, you must just be blind!". I totally respect everyone's individual watch choices/preferences, because in the age of cell phones G-Shocks are essentially jewelry for guys, but... Let's be honest, when it comes down to legibility, a positive display will ALWAYS beat a negative display, period.

That said, if you really want the "tacticool" look of a negative display, in order of legibility, check out: 1) Casio's negative display non-solar models, 2) Timex's basic negative display offerings (MUCH better than Casio's IMHO), 3) the few Casio's with STN displays (e.g. GMW-B5000, PRW-3510, etc.), 4) the few Casio's with MIP displays (e.g. GBX-100, GPR-B1000, etc.), or 5) anything by Garmin.

Despite having 20/20 vision, legibility is a primary concern for me and my personal display decision tree went something like this...

A positive display will always be more legible than a negative display. A STN display will always be more legible than a standard LCD display. A MIP display will always be more legible than a STN display. Ergo, a positive MIP display will always be more legible than ANY other digital display. Unfortunately, Casio still doesn't have an option for a positive display on their very few MIP display watches, so for me at least (with respect to legibility and a million other reasons not relevant to this thread) the best watch currently available is the Garmin Instinct Solar.

·
Registered
Seiko, Mido and Marathon
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I’d have to disagree, but who am I to argue, we have different eyes afterall
View attachment 15789955
Yours is much easier to read than the one I got, but then again it isn't the same model so that may have something to do with it. In the end I have returned mine and ordered an analogue/ digital compromise; GGB100-1A.

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
I think one of the best negative display watches is the Rangeman GPS model (GPR-B1000)

While I don't find the G-Shock Move GPS to be as easy to read as the GPR-B1000, it still is easy to read.

The negative display portion on my PRW-6000 was crap.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I don't buy negatives.

Seems like everyone here hates them and yet they are strong sellers, so I guess it is first-time buyers who are going by the (misleading) stock photos. Amazon reviews are full of complaints about how difficult it is to read the negatives. I wonder how many of these buyers never buy another G-Shock.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have a bunch of negative G-Shocks, and no problems here... the only ones I find hard to read are the red background versions, but only under certain lighting conditions.

This is seriously a topic that get posted about to death. Is the goal to ultimately try and convince Casio to stop making negative display watches? I'm thinking they likely don't care much about what we think and go by global sales data... and that is fine, more variety is alright by me. :)

·
Registered
Seiko, Mido and Marathon
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I don't buy negatives.

Seems like everyone here hates them and yet they are strong sellers, so I guess it is first-time buyers who are going by the (misleading) stock photos. Amazon reviews are full of complaints about how difficult it is to read the negatives. I wonder how many of these buyers never buy another G-Shock.
I'm pretty sure that the one I got on Amazon is in a perpetual spin cycle of Buy/Return. It was unmarked, but no plastic protection and no hang tag.

·
Registered
Seiko auto's. Monster, Turtle, 5 Sports. Steeldive auto. G Shock. Edifice. Protrek. Casio.
958 Posts
Had a few neg display G's, and while they look cool and stealthy, i just cant live with the poor legibility. Only the neg GD-350 works ok for me.
Wont ever buy neg G's again, unless they are MIP.

·
Registered
103 Posts
As others have said before, not all negative displays are created equal. I've had a GX56BB-1 and agree legibility is not amazing, but put it next to an negative STN display like on the GMW-B5000 and you will be blown away. The latter is very good! Even the similar (cheaper) module in a GW-B5600 is a step up in terms of negative display legibility, although the STN on the B5000 is still much better.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts