WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I thought to post here first before trying the TAG-specific forum, however I'll move the thread there if necessary.

The issue I'm having is with my favorite watch, the "Bourne" TAG Link shown below:

View attachment 14254669

I had a couple of links removed from the bracelet over the winter/colder months and the watch fit just right, however when I attempt to wear it during the summer it feels too snug. I know that it's to be expected as the wrist will expand a bit, however I'd hate to keep having to add or remove links this frequently.

Is this a common problem to have? Thanks in advance for the input.

·
Registered
Rolex datejust
986 Posts
It is common that a bracelet can fit loose or snug depending on the season. The bad thing with the link series from tag heuer is that it is the only bracelet you can wear.

If strap options were available I would have kept my link, but I however exchanged it for my aqua terra I'm wearing now. To stop from adding and removing links wear the bracelet slightly loose. What I mean is you should be able to slide a finger underneath the bracelet comfortably. The most it should slide down your wrist is an inch or two.

·
Premium Member
69,490 Posts
I’m fortunate in one sense, my wrist has so little meat on it that it’s the same size winter and summer. That said there are some watches that I just seem unable to get the ideal fit with. My Oris 65 is a lovely watch but I just don’t seem to be able to get the fit just as I want it.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Yes, its been a common issue for decades before brands started developing quick adjust bracelets, but not all brands have adopted it as standard yet (one of the many, many signs of how slow things advanced in the watch industry). However, a copy of links sounds excessive. Sizing is different for everyone as preferences vary from too tight to very loose. I prefer mine to be a only a little loose when my wrist is not expanded, because I hate it when it is too loose, but the downside is that it is a little tight when my wrist expands. Maybe try a rubber strap if it really bothers you?

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
You took two links out - try putting one back and see if you can live with that arrangement over the course of the year.

My preference is slightly loose over slightly tight. With some watches on the bracelet you have to choose.

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
I’m fortunate in one sense, my wrist has so little meat on it that it’s the same size winter and summer. That said there are some watches that I just seem unable to get the ideal fit with. My Oris 65 is a lovely watch but I just don’t seem to be able to get the fit just as I want it.
Similar here. My wrist size probably only varies about 5mm in circumference between hot and cold, which is only about half a link on most watches with bracelets that I've owned. I don't have too many bracelets, but I tend to try to size them to be comfortable if not just a hair snug when my wrist is at its largest and deal with them just being a bit loose when cold. I might play with micro-adjustment holes on the clasp seasonally (if I have any), but I try to avoid the whole add/remove links regularly game. Latest watch has a quick-adjust clasp and that feature is just fantastic.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I add a link in the summer. Get a cheap watch repair kit off amazon. Once you do it a few times, it becomes a 5 minute job every 6 months or so.

·
Premium Member
34,466 Posts
You could resize it a bit looser, then use a small foam pad on the back of the caseback as a shim.

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
22,344 Posts
Remind us -- does TAG make half-links* for this watch?

(and remember that half-links measure out to be more like two-thirds-links)

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all...I'll have to find out whether there are half-links for it.

I also think that doing it myself would be the best route to take.

·
Premium Member
3,429 Posts
Another thing to know is how to take apart the link. If I remember correctly, only the last link at the clasp uses pin and tube arrangement. You push the pin out with a hammer and pin tool. If there's an arrow on the link, you remove in the direction of the arrow. Be careful to note any asymmetry on either the pin or tube and reassemble it the same way (quite often the groove is closer to one end). Once you remove that, you have access to a screw that holds the next link together. The first time I encountered one it kept me scratching for a while.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have this same problem with every metal bracelet watch I have owned. Plus it doesn't help that I am allergic to the nickel in stainless. All my watches now have nice leather straps. This doesn't work for everyone but it's my solution. A side benefit is that when you flip the watch a good selling point is that the metal bracelet is like new.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts