Votes: 75 72.1%
  • Rolex Deep Sea Sea-Dweller

Votes: 29 27.9%
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Calling all dive watch fanatics and aficionados! I'm looking to purchase my next dive watch and it's between two choices.

The Rolex Deep Sea Sea-Dweller or Blancpain Fifty Fathoms 45mm.

I don't dive, so the choice is based purely on aesthetics, movement and reputation.

I like my watches with wrist presence so 44mm vs 45mm is not an issue and I don't mind the thickness of either of them.

The DSSD comes on a bracelet which is a big plus and even though I don't dive, the fact the DSSD can go deeper is a big selling point.

However, the Blancpain looks like a piece that can be dressed up or down and that bezel is one of the most beautiful, if not the most beautiful on any dive watch seen.

I seem to like the dial of the FF more because it's just a clean look while the Rolex has way too much text and different fonts.

We all know about the rep of Rolex and the history that comes along with it, but did you know that the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms was the original modern dive watch?

HISTORY OF FIFTY FATHOMS

The Blancpain Fifty Fathoms was the original modern dive watch. Yes, you read that correctly. While many people would instinctively give this title to the more well-known Rolex Submariner, the Fifty Fathoms actually debuted a number of innovations a year before the Submariner.

698612d1336092078-perfect-world-blancpain-fiftyfanthoms-thumb-450x307.jpg

All that being said, at the end of the day a Rolex is a Rolex and I've shied away in the past because of the smaller 40mm dials on the subs. However, now that there is a 44mm which some serious thickness, now may be the time to dive right it (pun intended).

I may just have to go for one and eventually switch it up for the other, but the agony of choosing which one is killing me!

First world problems I know, but just wanted to take a poll and see which dive watch the aficionado's would decide.

Please feel free to post your opinion on why you would go with one over the other.

Cheers!

deepsea.jpg

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Between these two, my vote goes to the rolex. But when compared to the (regular) BP Bathyscaphe (or Chrono flyback) the choice would be obvious to me...good luck with your dilemma

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Wish I had this issue. Both watches on my want list. I would go BP however the tribute to aqua lung version

·
Registered
595 Posts
TBH I prefer the design of the FF however I'd buy the DSSD as I prefer SS bracelets and dislike the SS option for the FF.

However if the Bathy were also an option I'd go for that one, in TI with the NATO over the DSSD and FF due to it being a more versatile and wearable than the other two behemoths. Having tried on the DSSD before, it's too top heavy to be an every day watch and wouldn't fit under a cuff. Strikes me as a real door handle magnet.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
FF for the win (even if I much prefer the bathyscaphe, in the blancpain divers line up).

The Rollex DSSD is just a joke. Too big, too thick, too heavy to be worn on earth. Too bloody expensive to be worn as a diving tool.

Reactions: thumos

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I'm w Blancpain Aqualung or 50 Fathoms. If u still want Rolex Dssd but at a fraction lesser, y not take a look at Helberg CH1 Ss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Why does it matter if the dssd can go deeper if you don't dive?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Even if the OP dives, that doesn't matter... Nobody will ever go this deep. Even the 300m of the FF are "overkill" for 99.9999% of divers.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Prefer the Blancpain but I also prefer a bracelet.

·
Registered
14,357 Posts
FF

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
FF for the win (even if I much prefer the bathyscaphe, in the blancpain divers line up).

The Rollex DSSD is just a joke. Too big, too thick, too heavy to be worn on earth. Too bloody expensive to be worn as a diving tool.

yup..no dainty feminine wrists allowed...I love the DSSD and it fits perfect, wish I could save up for one

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Fifty Fathoms all the way.

Reactions: 20DYNAMITE07
1 - 20 of 66 Posts