WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a few days, I will be in car-booting heaven, Skegness in Lincolnshire UK.
There are at least one every day within a 10 mile radius, and are all massive!
In the past, I have hade several good if not amazing finds, including a Record www in good condition for £12.
Yesterday came up trumps within a minute of arrival with this £2.50 find:

IMG1035-1.jpg

Communist-era Sekonda with a dove grey dial in almost perfect condition. Date at six is a favourite style of mine, and the only minus is the scratched crystal, which will be put right with 1500-grit wet&dry paper and Brasso.
The M2 stamped 21 jewel 2414 movement is shiny and free of dirt/rust. M2 I believe signifies Mowcow Factory number two.
Forgot to take pic of movement, never mind.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Nicey! Skeggy eh? Bit far for me from the Midlands but you've jogged my mind on things to do with the two lads on school holidays. Several birds killed with one stone there I think, On the watch front there's got to be a few sleepers to be found lurking in an old 60's buscuit tin full of buttons and being in Coventry ( an engineering hub) there must be at least one mint condition vertical milling slide and rotary indexing table under somebody's pasting table.

" ooh 'ang on a minute... I fink I've got the original box for the watch somewhere... Aha, there you go...I.W.C.?? naah never 'eard of 'em either, call it a fiver fer the lot mate.

And then we woke up....

·
Banned
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Movement. Sorry about the shaky pics, San Miguel tremors.:)

IMG1039-1.jpg

Reactions: derids and busmatt

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
What a piece of communistic junk you got there. ;-)

I generally don't go for USSR watches but this one was rather nice. But then it was made for the export market so they went with the Swiss style and two barrels to boot at that!

Try using only polywatch as you don't remove any plastic with it.

·
Banned
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What a piece of communistic junk you got there. ;-)

I generally don't go for USSR watches but this one was rather nice. But then it was made for the export market so they went with the Swiss style and two barrels to boot at that!

Try using only polywatch as you don't remove any plastic with it.
How does the Polywatch work without removing any crystal material? I've used it before on a Seiko and had to use nearly a whole tube of it, andthought it removed some crystal plastic to do so.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
How does the Polywatch work without removing any crystal material? I've used it before on a Seiko and had to use nearly a whole tube of it, andthought it removed some crystal plastic to do so.
For me a tube will easily remove scratches from up to 10 watches or more. You first must clean the crystal to get rid of any big dirt particles so they don't get trapped in the plastic then put a tiny amount of Polywatch on a fabric wipe like Pec pad, place the pad on a flat surface then rub the crystal against it so heat builds up and this will melt the surface of the plastic so it will fill up the scratches. Some plastics are harder then others so one must apply more pressure to build up more heat.

Don't rub a cloth on the crystal with you fingers as you won't get the same even presure and it will take longer and it's harder to get out the bigger scratches doing so. And only use a tiny amount for you need the friction and more will only slide the crystal round the surface doing little.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I must ask, what is "car-booting" ?:think:
Originally it was a low key social function held in a field or pub car park on a Sunday norning whereby people would turn out their lofts, sheds and garages and load all their crap into the boot of a car, drive to the field and sell their crap straight out of the boot. Those with more crap to off-load began using small camping tables and ridiculously flimsy decorating tables upon which to display said crap. The excitement of finding a real gem for peanuts keeps them interesting. Some folks have now adopted it as a viable means of making a living and have expanded by buying TWO pasting tables and plenty of cheap crap to fill them with such as endless quantities of godawful chinese handtools thereby somewhat corrupting the original informal spirit of these events.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Polywatch is an abbrasive, just like car polish. It will, just as Brasso, remove material.
Yes but only the dirty outer surface so it will clean the crystal then melt in the scratches. with Brasso you will remove much more of the crystal.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Yes but only the dirty outer surface so it will clean the crystal then melt in the scratches. with Brasso you will remove much more of the crystal.
So the correct usage of Polywatch is a form of 'flame' polishing using flameless, friction generated heat rather than a process of removal! I did not realise that.

Learn something new everyday. b-)

·
Vint. Forum Co-Moderator
3,634 Posts
I've heard the same said of brasso when used to polish gold. I suspect both are a myth.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
I've heard the same said of brasso when used to polish gold. I suspect both are a myth.
I can only say that when you use tiny amounts of Polywatch you can see that the Pec pad gets a yellowy brown coloring and the crystal turns crystal clear so it works and that is enough for me. :)

In the beginning I had problems with specks of dirt trapped in the plastic and no amount of further polishing would remove them so I can only surmise that when you get a very fine surface the adhesive effect stops or has a minimal effect. So it will only remove the surface when it's rough with a film of dirt.

The reason I believe specks were still inside the crystal is that they where embedded and the adhesive properties couldn't remove larger particles and they where incased in the plastic as it melted with the friction.

·
Registered
994 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
...and they where incased in the plastic as it melted with the friction.
If Polywatch really melted the plastic, the heat would ignite the pad before that. Or, at the very least, burn your fingers. I looked at the Polywatch website and I see that the "melting plastic" is a part of the official sales pitch, but I do not buy that for a second.

Good to hear that it works, though. I have recently purchased my first watch with a plastic crystal, and I look forward to giving it a go :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts