1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
10,892 Posts
Hopefully this doesn't cause conflicts of interest with brands... but also hopeful they'll expand the market.

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
Bucherer is such a niche watch brand that I don't see conflict of interest, certainly not in the pre owned arena and very little as to new.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I’m not sure I get the strategy here
They buy a footprint in the US which is huge market and then also a launch pad of boutiques for Carl F Bucherer watches which from what I believe doesn’t have a huge presence in the old US of A.

The question is will they still remain Tourneau in all locations or will some be rebranded as Bucherer. Especially in prime locations like NY, LA, San Fran etc

·
Moderator Emeritus
54,696 Posts
Bucherer is such a niche watch brand that I don't see conflict of interest, certainly not in the pre owned arena and very little as to new.
Well, Bucherer as a watch brand might be a niche product, but Bucherer becomes the second largest watch retailer in the world.

·
Registered
Revue Thommen Airspeed Lemania 5100
358 Posts
Bucherer is one of the biggest luxury watch/jewelry retailers in Europe, it's just that they have a watch brand on the side :) Wempe is doing this as well.

·
Moderator Public Forum
10,714 Posts
I hope they will decide to open new stores in locations where Tourneau closed stores.
Me, too.

Tourneau closed in Scottsdale Fashion Square (due to rent costs as the Manager confirmed), but I do hope to see a CB location in the future in replacement of the space.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hopefully this doesn't cause conflicts of interest with brands... but also hopeful they'll expand the market.
Why would it? The Bucherer stores sell the most Rolex watches in Europe, Hans Wilsdorf and Carl F. Bucherer were good friends and Bucherer has been selling them along side his watches since 1888.

·
Premium Member
17,940 Posts
From the press release:

"Established in 1900 and based in New York, NY, Tourneau is the largest luxury watch retailer in the U.S. with 28 retail locations across 10 states and a fully integrated e-commerce website. The Company is renowned for its unparalleled customer service and extensive selection of new and Certified Pre-Owned watches."

I almost threw up when I saw that!

Anybody know how much Bucherer paid?

·
Registered
41,244 Posts
Fake news?
From the press release:

"Established in 1900 and based in New York, NY, Tourneau is the largest luxury watch retailer in the U.S. with 28 retail locations across 10 states and a fully integrated e-commerce website. The Company is renowned for its unparalleled customer service and extensive selection of new and Certified Pre-Owned watches."

I almost threw up when I saw that!

Anybody know how much Bucherer paid?

·
Registered
41,244 Posts
I was in the Bucherer store in Lugano back in 01 and ran across an SA that must have been a Tourneau dropout. If he's still there, he could be a Tourneau field
manager now.

·
Registered
9,550 Posts
I think you're going to see even more consolidation in the watch industry going into the future. The market is completely saturated with too many brands and micro-brands including what seems like a new kickstarter brand every week. Perhaps the only way to survive is to lump brands together like the Swatch and Richemont, similar to a mutual fund.

Reactions: georges zaslavsky

·
Banned
2,341 Posts
Me, too.

Tourneau closed in Scottsdale Fashion Square (due to rent costs as the Manager confirmed), but I do hope to see a CB location in the future in replacement of the space.
I heard that from Paul and George, but I also heard that it was not just the rent costs. At some point SFS also wanted Tourneau to move so Louis Vuitton could expand into Tourneau's space. That and the increased rent was too much for Tourneau since they were already preparing to sell the company, although I do not know if they were negotiating with Bucherer. Louis Vuitton did not expand into Tourneau's previous space.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts