WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just paid for a ticket for my wife to accompany me on my business trip to London and Edinburgh, and set myself back $2K from the money I was saving for a JLC Master Control. Happy wife, happy life, as they say.

So, now I am not even sure anymore if I can stomach waiting another half a year to get into JLC Master Control price range or get something very similar for less. During my research, I stumbled upon this beauty:

Carl F Bucherer Manero Autodate
3631_album.jpg carl_f_bucherer_automatic_stahl.jpg

Which brings me to a question for the WIS community. What are your thoughts on Carl F Bucherer as a brand? How is the fit & finish? Does anyone own a watch from them?

From what I can gather, it is well-respected brand, under the radar and on the expensive side, actually... They do have their own calibers, but this particular entry-level model is ETA-based (maybe with some slight modifications), but I LOVE the pricing.

Am I doing the right thing comparing it to JLC Master Control (if we can disregard the in-house movement aspect of it)? Or should I just suck it up and continue saving for the JLC?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Continue to save for the JLC. Not that the other brand isn't any good, it probably is, but because it seems that what you realy want is that JLC and sure you'll have to wait another 6 months or so, but you'll be wearing it for decades!

Reactions: G00dband

·
Moderator Public Forum
2,879 Posts
I'm a fan of Carl F. Bucherer. I have always liked the brand. I think Gary (Gary123) has owned a couple and probably can give you better insight than most.

With that being said, my personal preference would be to save for the JLC.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Recently tried on a few Bucherer, very nice. I think the Manero Autodate is nice but not outstanding, if it was center chrono then definitely.
How about the Vulcain Presidents auto ..

VulcainPres.jpg

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
You can always find a cheaper alternative to nearly anything but will you like it as much as what you ultimately want.

If you want a JLC save for one as there is no point spending cash on an alternative just because its cheaper.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK guys, I will continue to save up for JLC MC then.

Thanks for all your input!

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
You can always find a cheaper alternative to nearly anything but will you like it as much as what you ultimately want.

If you want a JLC save for one as there is no point spending cash on an alternative just because its cheaper.
Yup, and you'll end up with 2-3 "for now watch" and still don't have your JLC.

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
I love this Bucherer Patravi, but they are a lot more expensive (with a novel in-house movement) ...

(borrowed image)

I'd say wait and save up for the JLC.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
If what you really want is the JLC, I think you'd be best off waiting a little longer for it.

That said though, I do like a number of the Bucherer watches and was very tempted by a (used) TravelGraph Chrono I saw a few months back, but the dealer sold it before I could get my nerve up. Probably a good thing.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Bucherer's only problem is they are not well known outside of Switzerland. The watch speaks for itself, it's a quality watch! (My photos are crappy don't do it justice.) And they stand by their product, those purchased in the states come with a four year warranty.

IMG_5205 copy.jpg
IMG_5231 copy.jpg
IMG_5224 copy.jpg
IMG_5221 copy.jpg
IMG_5204 copy.jpg
IMG_5239    .jpg

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
Bucherer's only problem is they are not well known outside of Switzerland. The watch speaks for itself, it's a quality watch! (My photos are crappy don't do it justice.) And they stand by their product, those purchased in the states come with a four year warranty.
And there customer service is top notch. :-!

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Nice but on another planet. Not even close.

I would suggest the Zenith Elite instead. Both the Captain and Ultra thin are beautiful watches, with classic design and a great inhouse movement. You can get them at half price of a Master.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts