WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone, bit of a lurker on the site but had to post this question. Went into the Tag shop today and was informed the clear sapphire caseback on the Carreras were being phased out over next month and replaced with an engraved profile of Fangio? I know the guy is a bit of a legend but I kinda liked admiring the movement of a watch and saw this as a big drawcard for my upcoming purchase. Now I am not so sure?

Anyone else know of this?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Sorry, I should have been more specific, not the slr, 1887, or the grand Carreras, but the Chrono and the larger day date. Was told that these will no longer have the clear backs and will be phased out in favor of a profile picture of Fangio? Which I think is ok for special editions and slr because of the connection, but changing these two to no longer having the clear back anymore? Doesn't sound right?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
well a solid caseback with TAG branding engraved i could live with, but Fangio's head taking up all the real estate, not for me.

·
Registered
241 Posts
My first "real watch" purchase was a TH Carrera 16. What made me decide TH over Omega was the sapphire display back - changing it to a solid case seems to go against the company's avant-garde heritage.
In fact, changing a non-diver 100m motorsport watch into a solid back doesn't make sense. It's not like they are trying to hide a Sellita.

But quite frankly, it makes me think TH is trying to be the next Omega.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The sales assistant was explaining to me the switch to the fango profile engraved back was something to hold out for. I couldnt hide the dissapointment in my face when I said "Really?" lol, with that the sales talk quite quickly switched to "get in now before they are gone!"

1887 starting to be more appealing..

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
I think a display back is better-suited to the Carrera model. I know that this factor played a role in my purchasing decision when I picked up mine.

mike.

·
Registered
270 Posts
i agree with other members.. the "display back" was the big factor when i got my Carrera.. i often look at the movement to admire the craftsmanship & all those tiny parts working together.

Solid case back makes sense for my Omega Planet ocean as its a 600m divers watch but not for Motor racing inspired Carrera.

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
i agree with other members.. the "display back" was the big factor when i got my Carrera.. i often look at the movement to admire the craftsmanship & all those tiny parts working together.

Solid case back makes sense for my Omega Planet ocean as its a 600m divers watch but not for Motor racing inspired Carrera.
Agree. Strangely, the 500M TAG chrono is a solid back but the 500M 3-hand auto is sapphire so depth rating has little to do with it.

·
Registered
12,033 Posts
I would say wait to see if it happens before making any sort of real judgement and to use the popular saying; I'll believe it when I see it.

For the most part, dealers, authorised or not, are hardly the fountain of knowledge when it comes to watches.
In most cases, people here know more from reading news and reports from shows than dealers do.
In fact, I hear more instances of dealers not knowing what they were talking about than knowing something we don't.

It also doesn't make sense for Fangio to be the face of Carrera.

If you really want to confirm it, why not email TAG Heuer?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Yes, I've also heard/ read this somewhere. There are certainly some models coming with the Fangio caseback (I've seen the design somewhere), although whether its all or some I don't know.

And yes, the new Link Calibre 16 also has an engraved caseback. I'll see what I can find out.

dc

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It will be a shame if you dont have the option to choose as it will definately alter my decison to purchase. You would think it would make more sense to have an extra "fangio" model in the line up.

·
Registered
12,033 Posts
...and a word from a trusted source.

With that confirmation, I would have to agree with what has been said already; it seems a bit of a strange move.
The only reason I can think of is to draw more attention to the 1887 models as it is made inhouse and looking down the line, maybe until a time when the 1887 is the standard Carrera Chrono.

I should say though, the display back picks up a hell of a lot of dirt/grime.

·
Banned
382 Posts
I will be going with the 1887 or a Monaco then if I cannot find the 41mm chrono with a sapphire case back. Unless of course the prices on the sapphire fall. Do you guys know when TAG Heuer plans to start phasing out the sapphire caseback?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
OK, can confirm that yes, Calibre 16 Carrera will be changing over to the Fangio steel caseback. Its a running change, so expect them to be in stores shortly.

Sapphire case back stays for Carrera 1887.

dc
Thanks for confirming, do u think that Carrera 1887 is going to eventually replace the Calibre 16 completely? How long has the current calibre 16 Carrera design been in production?

I am at the point where I was ready to lay down my hard earned cash for a calibre 16. Its a big purchase for me, and now this is happening its thrown a spanner in the works??

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
Thanks for confirming, do u think that Carrera 1887 is going to eventually replace the Calibre 16 completely? How long has the current calibre 16 Carrera design been in production?

I am at the point where I was ready to lay down my hard earned cash for a calibre 16. Its a big purchase for me, and now this is happening its thrown a spanner in the works??
I suspect once TAG can produce enough 1887s, the cal 16 will go away. The Cal 16 Carrera has been around since 2004. There are tons of Cal 16 watches with clear backs.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well it seems the answer was right under my nose, an AD just down road from original dealer I visited a couple of days ago, had this catalog which featured this......

Coin Currency Metal Silver Money

Part of the text refers to ".... And against your skin is that extra-special touch: a case back dedicated to the greatest driver ever. Juan Manual Fangio, five times formula 1 world champion.What better way to honour TAG Heuers 150 years of mastering speed "

On the opposite page are front shots of CV2010.BA0794 and CV2014.FT6014.

There you go it seems that it is happening.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts