WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my wife a ballon bleu and she loves it. She both agreed with and enjoys my collection and said I should look at a Cartier for myself as a "classic" and dressier watch since most of mine are sportier (it's a long but enjoyed list).
From the perspective of aesthetics/ dial appearance as a more classic and less sporty face, what are people's opinion of the following two: the driver de cartier and the calibre de Cartier, they both now have the inhouse movement so better levels the playing field.
Thanks for input.

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
I bought my wife a ballon bleu and she loves it. She both agreed with and enjoys my collection and said I should look at a Cartier for myself as a "classic" and dressier watch since most of mine are sportier (it's a long but enjoyed list).
From the perspective of aesthetics/ dial appearance as a more classic and less sporty face, what are people's opinion of the following two: the driver de cartier and the calibre de Cartier, they both now have the inhouse movement so better levels the playing field.
Thanks for input.
everything is a matter of personal taste. To me there really is no contest, I really like the Drive de Cartier. Beautiful, timeless clean lines. Seeing that you want a dressier watch, that would be my choice. There us just too much going on with the Caliber. Good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well,in my opinion,I prefer the Drive de Cartier to the Caliber de Cartier. Besides,why not consider Cle de Cartier? It's driven by 1847MC in-house movement.
I love the cushion design of both.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
In the current Cartier lineup, the Calibre is my least favorite execution of the Cartier Design Aesthetic. I understand why they did it & what they're shooting for, it just misses the Cartier mark, IMO. Every other design undeniably says "Cartier," even the designs I don't prefer. I know instantly that they're Cartier even if I can't read the dial text.
All of which brings me to the Drive. It's one of my favorite Cartier designs! I've really enjoyed trying it on, it seems to fit my 7" wrist very well and slips under my cuff with ease. I'm currently trying to decide between the Drive (black dial) and a Panerai 512/574 for my next watch. I know they have different vibes, but in the flesh, they're quite similar.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I prefer the drive and it's not really close. The drive is elegant, balanced and has those lovely blue hands. The calibre is just...weird. Like some sort of mashup of a bunch of ideas. Gigantic raised roman numeral 12, roman numerals on the top half of the dial, batons on the bottom. The subdial is obnoxiously large. The dial apparently wasn't ridiculous enough as is, so they opened up a couple of extra dates on the date wheel and throw on the "Automatic". And the crown protectors extend so far they look more like a layer of armor. At least the entire right side will be safe.

I like a lot of what Cartier puts out there, but that calibre looks just awful. My apologies is I offend someone. OP asked for input. That's mine.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I prefer the drive and it's not really close. The drive is elegant, balanced and has those lovely blue hands. The calibre is just...weird. Like some sort of mashup of a bunch of ideas. Gigantic raised roman numeral 12, roman numerals on the top half of the dial, batons on the bottom. The subdial is obnoxiously large. The dial apparently wasn't ridiculous enough as is, so they opened up a couple of extra dates on the date wheel and throw on the "Automatic". And the crown protectors extend so far they look more like a layer of armor. At least the entire right side will be safe.

I like a lot of what Cartier puts out there, but that calibre looks just awful. My apologies is I offend someone. OP asked for input. That's mine.
After seeing them both 'live', I would agree with taxmans assessment about the dials; drive is much more refined and better fits the dress watch definition. It is the one I'm going with (when my wife decides to get one for me!!)

·
Registered
515 Posts
The calibre is a Cartier effort to do a sports watch. And it misses the mark.

The Drive is a future classic. A unique design that is pure Cartier.
Take the Cartier name off the face and WIS could tell you who the maker is.

Not it even a fair fight here.

Jim

Reactions: Pun and Tommywine0

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I also tried on the cle' which had a flat crown but not the inhouse movement. Nice dial but with a second hand rather than a separate register. The drive de cartier is the winner in this one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts