WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am getting married in December this year. I originally was going to wear a family watch among other things.
My fiancé gave me an awesome set of custom cuff links to wear from Tiffany. They would match a square watch perfect and I had always wanted one of these two.

I do not know what tank yet I would by but the reverso I had in mind is the large manual wind with small seconds hand in silver with white dial. I love the idea of getting the watch engraved to match the cuff links so obviously that’s a plus for the reverso.

I am looking for pure opinions. Which watch would you recommend and why? I would love to have both some day but where I was sold on the JLC recently the tank has been catching and getting more of my attention.

so I just want to hear opinions, hear from owners, anything you might want to throw at me.

That’s the JLC I was sold on. I felt that not only would it go with black tie but could be dressed down to get more use by changing the band. The Cartier seems dressier in my opinion overall.

* edit the budget is about 8k or less. When you’re paying for a wedding (we don’t have rich families) less is more **

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Well here's options for what I would recommend.

1) Reverso and engrave the date or something like that on the back.
2) Reverso and engrave the date or something like that on the back.
3) Reverso and engrave the date or something like that on the back.
4) Reverso and engrave the date or something like that on the back.
5) Reverso and engrave the date or something like that on the back.
6) Reverso and engrave the date or something like that on the back.
7) Reverso and engrave the date or something like that on the back.
8) Reverso and engrave the date or something like that on the back.
9) Reverso and engrave the date or something like that on the back.

And then if those aren't possible

10) Reverso and engrave the date or something like that on the back.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Unless you go with a Cartier Tank Louis, the reverso will be superior in every way IMO. Build quality, movement, and on and on.
Here is the exact watch you mention above... having been exactly in your position, I can tell you with confidence that JLC is the way to go.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unless you go with a Cartier Tank Louis, the reverso will be superior in every way IMO. Build quality, movement, and on and on.
Here is the exact watch you mention above... having been exactly in your position, I can tell you with confidence that JLC is the way to go.
View attachment 15845502
Exactly why I asked to the question. I’ve always loved both so damn much but finances allows the purchase of one at the moment.

as the previous poster also stated the back for engraving. Although I wouldn’t do the date unless she bought it for me. I would do my monogram and don’t laugh, my personal ensign which I fly on my sailboat. An old tradition I love and nearly no one knows what it is.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Exactly why I asked to the question. I’ve always loved both so damn much but finances allows the purchase of one at the moment.

as the previous poster also stated the back for engraving. Although I wouldn’t do the date unless she bought it for me. I would do my monogram and don’t laugh, my personal ensign which I fly on my sailboat. An old tradition I love and nearly no one knows what it is.
Have you tried on any of the tank variants? Most are on the smaller side of you are using the JLC large small seconds as a size standard.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you tried on any of the tank variants? Most are on the smaller side of you are using the JLC large small seconds as a size standard.
not a lot but I don’t mind smaller. Honestly I couldn’t tell you the models I tried on. I was buying a “love” bracelet for my anniversary and mentioned them and I started trying on what was in the case. That’s my only real time putting them on my wrist. I wasn’t there to buy a watch but wanted to look so I tried a few on like them but knew I didn’t have the cash so didn’t ask many questions.

my reason for the larger JLC is it is slightly thinner (or seems so) and longer. I also felt the large really could be worn a lot where as the smaller tanks really seemed to be dress only - not a bad thing. I’m a sport watch guy so I could use something dressy.

I tried on a Santos and absolutely loved it, on the bracelet. I want something I like on leather which the Santos was not for me.

·
Registered
258 Posts
not a lot but I don’t mind smaller. Honestly I couldn’t tell you the models I tried on. I was buying a “love” bracelet for my anniversary and mentioned them and I started trying on what was in the case. That’s my only real time putting them on my wrist. I wasn’t there to buy a watch but wanted to look so I tried a few on like them but knew I didn’t have the cash so didn’t ask many questions.

my reason for the larger JLC is it is slightly thinner (or seems so) and longer. I also felt the large really could be worn a lot where as the smaller tanks really seemed to be dress only - not a bad thing. I’m a sport watch guy so I could use something dressy.

I tried on a Santos and absolutely loved it, on the bracelet. I want something I like on leather which the Santos was not for me.
Ok I follow. I bet you tried on a Louis, because if you put on a tank solo, you wouldn’t consider it as something that would compete with the reverso.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok I follow. I bet you tried on a Louis, because if you put on a tank solo, you wouldn’t consider it as something that would compete with the reverso.
I was looking on the website and I would say yes. He asked how much I wanted to spend and I said 10k or less. Not so true now ha

·
Premium Member
36,171 Posts
The Tank is sweet, but I too would choose the JLC.

·
Premium Member
𝒞 Ω ♛ ❀ ✠ ★
519 Posts
Congrats on your upcoming wedding.

I’ve owned both. Cartier Tank IS the tuxedo of watches. That’s my choice as it remains in my collection and the Reverso has been sold off. The Tank is the most iconic watch in the world, besides a Submariner.

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
Congrats in advance! I'd personally go with the Tank, doesn't get much more elegant than that.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Some different thoughts:

First off, on your big day, either watch will be great and put you ahead of 99.44% of grooms in the history of earth.

Second, if your wedding day is like mine (and others I informally polled) the day will FLY by. You blink and it’s done.

Based on that, get the one you want to live with for a long time. The one that you will wear in suits and sport jackets.

If you don’t see yourself needing a dress watch much in the future (my forecast is for a lot less trips and a lot more zoom meetings), opt for a nice GADA, like a DJ, AT, GS...whatever you can see yourself getting use out of.

Last thought. Buying watches to mark an occasion is fun. It also means you are going to have a hard time flipping the “but it’s my WEDDING watch” watch down the line. If that is a consideration, see if Dad has a watch to loan you. I borrowed my Dad’s gold 1964 Longines square. He wore it at his and moms wedding. It just layered some meaning on an already meaningful watch.

Congrats

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I prefer the build and technical qualities of the Reverso more, BUT, I have had four Reversos in different case sizes, and only one really felt good on. Cartier Tanks (Americans, Francaise and Louis Cartier) have all been comfortable and fit nicely.

I wore a Cartier Tank on my wedding day.

Reactions: JMVNYC

·
Registered
9 Posts
That’s the JLC I was sold on. I felt that not only would it go with black tie but could be dressed down to get more use by changing the band. The Cartier seems dressier in my opinion overall.
That's my personal takeaway as well when I was looking for a rectangular watch. I was split between the Tank and the Reverso. Ultimately, I felt the Reverso looked a bit more versatile and the Tank more formal, so I went JLC.

I think both will look fine with a tux.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Your grandparents would tell you that you're not supposed to wear a watch at all with black tie. So pick the one you'll enjoy the most after the wedding.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts