WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I have several older Elgin pocket watch movements and am looking for a case for them. This may be a dumb question, but will any 40mm case do, as long as the stem is in the right position? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
It depends on the model...

elgin 2.jpg

This one needs a special case.

As for the other:

elgin 1.jpg

…the 'real 12s' model fits a standard 12s case.
But there also is a larger (12/14s) model with pillar plate much wider than the top plates - that needs a special case as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see, thanks for the info. I've been looking for 12s cases, but came across some marked as 40mm instead. I figured they "should" work, as the 12s is just slightly smaller, but didn't want to assume. I've learned that assuming can be costly in the watch world.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Like I said - the standard 12s model (pillar plate only slightly wider than the top plates) will fit standard 12s cases (plenty available). The rest need special cases. I'd not buy a '40mm" case, I'd buy a 12s case ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome, thanks again for the info. For a 12s case, do you suggest I just search ebay, or is there a better place to find them?

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Ebay is always fine. Sometimes David (Dave's Watch Parts and Tools) have nice cases, but now it's just one Wadsworth...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts