WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not seen another watch like this, and I am interested to find out more about this watch. I wondering is there a way to find out what the case is made of. Is there a database to look up the case serial number?
I have seen similar watches listed as "white gold" and"white gold filled" without any engraving/ marking about the case material on the case.
  1. The serial number on the movement is 1392761 with Boston MA engraved
  2. The case is engraved: "Keystone extra" "1589966 "next to this number there is a number hand scratched on watch which I think is 937GCB.
  3. Also engraved on movement 17 jewel and 3 pos.
Is there a way to look up 1589966 to see what case is made of because white gold would make it much more valuable.​
Off topic: I have not seen a watch with a face that looks exactly like this one.

1aside2.jpg
1aside.jpg

1ausemarkings.jpg
movement.jpg
face.jpg
inbackcase1.jpg
markings_1.jpg
markings6.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
946 Posts
It's a 14kt gold-filled case. The Keystone Extra cases apparently had thicker gold layers than 25 year gold fill cases. I have the same case on the Howard watch pictured below. Also below is a Howard catalogue page showing this style of case at right.

Your watch has a very nice dial style. I've seen this same dial on another brand, too, either Illinois or South Bend 12 sizers.

Your movement is missing its regulator arm spring. Not unusual to see on these as they are prone to breakage.

howard_series8_12s_coffee12.jpg
a

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gumby992,
Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my post and even provide a photo of your watch-- very nice!!--and a picture from the catalogue. It was nice of you to go out of your way to do all that.
I hope you don't mind my asking a question-- Also, does your watch or these watches have any marking for "white gold filled"? if not, the only way to show this is via that ad? I am trying to find a number or info that matches my watch to the advertisement such as series 7, model 1912, etc.
Thanks again,

·
Registered
946 Posts
Many gold filled cases have markings such as "Warranted" or "Guaranteed", which referred to the gold layers being guaranteed not to wear-though, often in conjunction with a "10", "25" , etc, year marking denoting the time it was guaranteed for. It was really a very inexact style of guarantee and was disallowed eventually. Note that seeing such a marking doesn't always mean it's a gold filled case, as "warranted" can also be found on some solid gold cases. Other markings relate to the fraction of gold compared to the base metal, such as "1/10", 1/20: etc. Then you have the case model names, such as the "Extra" or many others where the marking may not carry any specific case material information. In that situation you really just need to know what the model name from any particular case maker denotes, and you would be able to find info via Google for the majority of them.

Case markings won't specify the colour of the gold fill, ie, white, green, red, yellow, but usually just that is it gold fill and often with the karat designation.

The Howard watch I showed is an early-1920s 12 size Series 7, a 17 jeweler - movement pic below. You can often get info on movement models, grades, series, etc, from the Pocket Watch Database, link here:

howard_series8_12s_coffee51.jpg

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the information. I googled it and got a lot of information. Just curious would the missing regulator arm spring a big deal e.g expensive fix? thanks

·
Registered
946 Posts
In fact, the movement in that Howard watch I showed was missing its regulator arm spring when I got it. Some parts can be about as easy to find on their own as a straw of hay in a massive stack of needles. In this case I picked up a non-running Series 7 parts movement off eBay instead, which still had its spring and used that to replace the missing one on my movement. Below you can see on the left the seller's pic of my movement with the spring missing, and at the left a seller's pic of the parts movement I acquired, (it looks like it had simply been wrenched out of the case with a pair of pliers), which also came in handy for another Howard 12 size watch I had that needed some parts. Parts movements can often be easier to find and can even be a less expensive option to looking for a single part. Unfortunately, or fortunately, there are many movements about that have been left orphaned when their cases were scrapped.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gumby992,
Thank you so much for taking the time to post the excellent explanation and photos. It is really helpful and informative. I tried googling this but without the "hands marker" that you included I couldn't figure out where the regulator arm spring was. So again: Thank You :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I really like this one. Haven't seen it before or the font used on the dial. Very interesting!
Thank you!! After I read your compliment I realized the font on the dial reminds me of Salvador Dalí paintings ....

·
Registered
946 Posts
Gumby992,
Thank you so much for taking the time to post the excellent explanation and photos. It is really helpful and informative. I tried googling this but without the "hands marker" that you included I couldn't figure out where the regulator arm spring was. So again: Thank You :)
Note that to complete the micro-regulator assembly as well as the spring (& the screw that affixes it) you would also need the adjustment screw which applies tension from the other side and allows the regulator to be finely adjusted, (I've added an arrow to the pic on the right to indicate it) . This Is where parts movements come in handy, as long as you can find one with all the parts required.

The watch will run without the fine adjustment system present, but it won't be complete nor as easily regulated.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I don't know if this adds anything worthwhile to your search. I have Howard similar to yours. My Howard Keystone Case does have a marking as White Gold Filled.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I don't know if this adds anything worthwhile to your search. I have Howard similar to yours. My Howard Keystone Case does have a marking as White Gold Filled.

That's interesting to see. I'll have to dig some watches out and have a look at the markings again - maybe I haven't been paying enough attention :) Thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you for the detailed pictures featuring pointers. I think it is very useful and informative to me and anyone else who would want to fix this --especially since you said this is a common issue with these watches. I do see that one "hand" points to a screw and the other to the regulator which is very helpful.
Great that you can fix your watches--and also help others!!:):)

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
18,012 Posts
I'm sure that the case style is just an ordinary, round case. I'm not sure what the lug style is called, though.....

Hartmut Richter

1 - 15 of 15 Posts