WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've seen plenty of advice and opinion about case openers in general, but I need a decent (preferably pocket-sized) case opener for the attached watch (see photo). The Jaxa-style openers all say for water resistant watches, which makes me nervous, because mine isn't. Does it matter, or will the Jaxa ones open virtually anything??

I don't know what to buy!! :-(

G

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah, ok. I can't see how that would work? Are you just supposed to prise it open?

S

·
0 Posts
Look for the slot in your csnap-on ase back. The left blade is made to fit in to get it open.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm, I've looked carefully and there's no slot. It's definitely not snap-on. Must be screw back. I guess I'll need a suction one - there are no notches for the Jaxa to get hold of, right?

S

·
0 Posts
Hmm, I've looked carefully and there's no slot. It's definitely not snap-on. Must be screw back. I guess I'll need a suction one - there are no notches for the Jaxa to get hold of, right?
The Jaxa def. is the wrong tool. For those screw backs I use a Bergeon No. 2533. Nevertheless I could bet yours is a snap-on back. If there´s no slot the smallest part of the left blade would work imho but you should get used to use it. The Victorinox is always with me when I am hunting on flea-markets.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bergeon is interesting - thanks! I'm also awaiting an email from the guy who sold it to me, but my wife is sure he screwed the back off to show us and I don't remember, so don't want to start prising until I'm sure. He'll know. :)

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Are you sure that is not a front-loader?

If you can't find a slot to fit the knife in and there aren't any slots for a case wrench on the back, it is most probably a front loader.

This means the movement is accessed through the crystal.

Dot you have a shot of the front?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you sure that is not a front-loader?

If you can't find a slot to fit the knife in and there aren't any slots for a case wrench on the back, it is most probably a front loader.

This means the movement is accessed through the crystal.

Dot you have a shot of the front?
Don't think so, but take a look... (attached).

Attachments

·
Registered
137 Posts
Why dont you try putting a sticky/rubbery pad/sheet of some type to grip the back, and turn it with the base of your palm?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can't find anything suitable. :-(

A rubber pan grip, or something similar, might work ... but I don't have one (ours are wool). I tried a ball of cling-film, on the off chance, but that wouldn't grip. I think I'll go to a jeweller and settle this. ;-)

BTW, seen the "ScrewBall", but their shipping rates to Europe are astronomical.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok - first prize goes to Mike Stuffler for being right about the back - it is a snap-on back. So much for my better half's memory of the back screwing off! :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts