WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a 1967 Bulova I'd like to buy, but it looks like the case has a cut or a break in it, pictured below. Is that really what I'm seeing? Is there any way this is normal?

bullova-hole.jpg

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
What isn't normal is that the wheel which drives the center secs pinion is engaging zilch...
there appears to be no secs pinion and the tension spring is underneath the drive wheel
wheras it should be above, ...probably turned upside down to retain for when a center secs
arbor and pinion was obtained, if not then it will be 'dragging' the wheel.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
The earliest one that I have of this case back style is from 1955 and houses a 10CSC auto

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
What isn't normal is that the wheel which drives the center secs pinion is engaging zilch...
there appears to be no secs pinion and the tension spring is underneath the drive wheel
wheras it should be above, ...probably turned upside down to retain for when a center secs
arbor and pinion was obtained, if not then it will be 'dragging' the wheel.
I see the gear that doesn't seem to be driving anything, but other than that I don't understand what you wrote. I have the watch now and it seems to be keeping time, and the seconds hand works. I think it's running a couple seconds per hour fast. If it runs okay overnight, I'll have it serviced in January. If it doesn't run well It'll have to wait a while for repair, if it's worthwhile. I haven't opened it.

ETA: I did notice that when I was setting the date, 10-1-10-1-10,etc, the seconds hand moved backwards about five seconds when I wound the minutes hand backward, and then forward the same five seconds when I wound the minutes hand forward again. Does that indicate a problem?

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's been running 15 hours now and has picked up about 40 seconds. This is acceptable performance for a daytime watch for me, so it's a keeper, and can probably be regulated with servicing.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
I see the gear that doesn't seem to be driving anything, but other than that I don't understand what you wrote. I have the watch now and it seems to be keeping time, and the seconds hand works. I think it's running a couple seconds per hour fast. If it runs okay overnight, I'll have it serviced in January. If it doesn't run well It'll have to wait a while for repair, if it's worthwhile. I haven't opened it.

ETA: I did notice that when I was setting the date, 10-1-10-1-10,etc, the seconds hand moved backwards about five seconds when I wound the minutes hand backward, and then forward the same five seconds when I wound the minutes hand forward again. Does that indicate a problem?
That's good news that the secs pinion is present and working OK, it isn't installed in the pic sa'll.
It's quite usual that the secs hand will run erratically whilst reversing and forwarding the motion work.
The movement looks clean and with a service and regulation will be a good timekeeper no doubt...nice one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts