WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a oris aquis date and I suddenly saw a few scratches on the caseback. I was wondering if the see through caseback is made up of mineral glass ? I was hoping that the watch has sapphire crystal on the dial so must be having the same on the caseback.
If the scratches increase can new glass be installed on the caseback ?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,522 Posts
The case back should be of sapphire crystal. Could your Aquis be on a metal bracelet? If so, that could be what has caused the scratches.

·
Premium Member
71,450 Posts
I do believe that it’s sapphire. Can’t think how it got scratched though. Suppose you could have a new back fitted come service time but I can’t imagine it will be cheap.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The case back should be of sapphire crystal. Could your Aquis be on a metal bracelet? If so, that could be what has caused the scratches.

Yes my aquis is on a metal bracelet. But over some forums I had read that it's mineral glass.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do believe that it’s sapphire. Can’t think how it got scratched though. Suppose you could have a new back fitted come service time but I can’t imagine it will be cheap.
I also don't know how it got scratched. I guess I should ignore a few scratches instead of spending $$

·
Registered
150 Posts
I just read a review of the watch
It confirms that the caseback has mineral glass. Didn't expect it from a watch approx of 1500 $
A shade disappointing but at least it's the back

·
Premium Member
8,522 Posts
I just read a review of the watch
It confirms that the caseback has mineral glass. Didn't expect it from a watch approx of 1500 $
My apologies. The article I linked was from 2018 and your article is from 2020. Plus, I visited the Oris webpage, and the Aquis models with an open caseback have mineral glass and not sapphire crystal.

This may have been a subtle change by Oris as a cost-cutting measure to keep the price down. This may explain why some sources, particularly if they are prior to 2020, may refer to the case back being sapphire crystal and not mineral glass.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hi,
I have a oris aquis date and I suddenly saw a few scratches on the caseback. I was wondering if the see through caseback is made up of mineral glass ? I was hoping that the watch has sapphire crystal on the dial so must be having the same on the caseback.
If the scratches increase can new glass be installed on the caseback ?

Thanks
My apologies. The article I linked was from 2018 and your article is from 2020. Plus, I visited the Oris webpage, and the Aquis models with an open caseback have mineral glass and not sapphire crystal.

This may have been a subtle change by Oris as a cost-cutting measure to keep the price down. This may explain why some sources, particularly if they are prior to 2020, may refer to the case back being sapphire crystal and not mineral glass.
I guess Oris think it’s unlikely that you’ll scratch the back of your watch as it’s up against your wrist. It must be difficult to scratch the back. My Aquis doesn’t appear to have any on the rear glass.

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
I think mine got itself scratched by the bracelet only.
Are you placing your watch dial-up, and just resting it on the bracelet ? That's the only way I can think of when a bracelet would touch the caseback. I ALWAYS put my watches down crown-up on their side, so this is never an issue.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Are you placing your watch dial-up, and just resting it on the bracelet ? That's the only way I can think of when a bracelet would touch the caseback. I ALWAYS put my watches down crown-up on their side, so this is never an issue.
Yes I always keep all my watches dial up .

·
Registered
182 Posts
The standard Aquis models have mineral back glass (case spec listed on Oris.ch). They did use a sapphire back crystal on the newer Calibre 400 Aquis.

My Aquis gets taken surfing and paddle boarding, no scratches yet. But when I'm at home I always put something like a small microfiber cloth or piece of leather between the watch head and bracelet if I'm setting it on my desk. :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
I don't know why Oris uses mineral glass for their Aquis models. Why even bother with a display caseback honestly. All you really get to see is a basic Sellita with a red rotor.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I don't know why Oris uses mineral glass for their Aquis models. Why even bother with a display caseback honestly. All you really get to see is a basic Sellita with a red rotor.
Don’t forget that for the majority of buyers, this is probably their first and only automatic watch. Seeing the movement and rotor is an intriguing thing for them, whether it is decorated or not.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts